DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, the other day I was talking to a friend of mines and the topic about cars came up. I told him that my car would beat his in a race, just to test his reaction, but he was 100% sure that his car would beat me. I would race his car but racing isn't really my type of thing and I wanted to know what you guys here thought.

He has a '00 Mazda 626 2.0L I4. I'm driving a '99 Intrepid base model with the 2.7L engine.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hello guys, the other day I was talking to a friend of mines and the topic about cars came up. I told him that my car would beat his in a race, just to test his reaction, but he was 100% sure that his car would beat me. I would race his car but racing isn't really my type of thing and I wanted to know what you guys here thought.

He has a '00 Mazda 626 2.0L I4. I'm driving a '99 Intrepid base model with the 2.7L engine.
Don't do it. I have no clue if you would win or lose.
From your other thread , you said you have over 200,000 miles,consider yourself ahead of the game already. The 2.7 has a tendency to self-destruct at much lower mileage than what you have on your's. The trouble is the 2.7 is prone to oil sludge which starves the timing chain from oil. If the chain breaks it will take the valves with it.
Change your oil religously every 3,000 miles. Most people here, use synthetic oil in their 2.7 . Ask the preveous owner what kind of oil he was using and stick with the same.
Whatever you do , don't race it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Unless you have a second gen 3.5HO or a first gen 3.5 I dont think youll do it. Whatever you do dont take on a 2001 Integra GSR with a stick, I did :banghead: I lost $120 for it and I had PowerPunch racing oil with Mobil1 mixed in. He only beat me by about 20 feet but he blew his engine :biggrin:.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unless you have a second gen 3.5HO or a first gen 3.5 I dont think youll do it. Whatever you do dont take on a 2001 Integra GSR with a stick, I did :banghead: I lost $120 for it and I had PowerPunch racing oil with Mobil1 mixed in. He only beat me by about 20 feet but he blew his engine :biggrin:.
sounds like that guy ended up needing the $120 :icon_cool

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looking at hp vs weight, I think it might be a close race. I still think you could take him. The 2.7 isn't that strong off the line, but it pulls hard once you wind it up a little. If you had the autostick trans, you could run off and leave him.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The Trep would no doubt win, the 626 has 164 hp and i think 150 fl lbs. The trep 2.7 has alot more power to the wheels than that, but its a 2.7, dont blow a chain or a gasket ;)

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
My girlfriend has a 2000 Mazda 626 and back when I had my 3.2 running me and her decided to drag to the next light one day. She got off the line a lot quicker but I caught up and passed her with in a few seconds. Now if I used A/S and turned off the traction control I would of gotten off the line quicker.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
you'll destroy it, I've owned both a 626 2.0L and a 2.7 Intrepid.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Just remember the 626 uses the same motor that the ford probe uses. Also for the record I have modified my girlfriends car with coldair, after market coils, NGK plugs and wires, bigger tranny cooler and advanced the timing a bit. Also this was when my trep was still bone stock.

So even a semi modified 626 still has no chance for a trep.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Just remember the 626 uses the same motor that the ford probe uses. Also for the record I have modified my girlfriends car with coldair, after market coils, NGK plugs and wires, bigger tranny cooler and advanced the timing a bit. Also this was when my trep was still bone stock.

So even a semi modified 626 still has no chance for a trep.
yes the 2.0L is the same from both cars. 1st gen 626gt's will smoke an intrepid all day. 2nd gen 626 2.0's are slugs (especially the ATX). 3rd gen 626 2.0L have a little bit of a hp boost but are still slugs. The only difference between the probe and the 626 is if you have the MTX then the probe transmission is a little more aggressive.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I drive a 2001 Mazda 626 everyday for work. Its a pooch... but so is the 2.7.

A drag race with a 2.7 Intrepid and a Mazda 626 would be as exciting as two old people ****ing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts