DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, let me start by apologizing to anyone that I offend with this post.

MCSE certification is a joke!!! I just spent a week of SQLBase training with two recent MCSE graduates in the class. One was just NT, the other NT + win2k certified. I am now completely convinced that MCSE training is nothing but pushing kids with money to pass their tests. These clowns barely knew how to map drives and didn't know what SQLnet was. The class wasn't even working in XP or win2K advanced server, just plain old NT 4.0. We got into a freindly discussion on disk-striping and lost these guys completely. The instructor was in total agreement with me that this is the problem, guys show up with certs, impress the HR guys, get hired for big bucks and then fall on their faces when dropped into the "real" world of computers.

I'm sorry for seeming so harsh but why should any clown with papers become a network admin and then call me for help printing documents with a simple "netuse" command?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yup, I agree. Besides my normal job as systems programmer on our mainframe, I'm also the LAN administrator for our 50 user network. We run a Novell server and a couple NT servers.

I'll take a person with even only 6 months experience in the real world, vs. a newbie "cert" any day! :)

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Sysman:
I'll take a person with even only 6 months experience in the real world, vs. a newbie "cert" any day! :)
Exactly my point!!! It may sound "old school" but I still believe you can learn more by being on the job than you can EVER learn from books.

I am not saying ALL MCSE's are a waste, just the ones who are fresh from school and don't deserve to be LAN admins.

How many thousands of servers are crashed daily due to some "kids" lack of experience??

I don't hate the MCSE program, just the "get a quick certification" schools out there.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
The get a "cert quick" schools do suck.. I agree.

But I have been in school for the past year and a quarter to learn this wonderful field...I I think that I have gotten a great education. Not only will I ace the certs...I'll also understand the theory behind each question. (As opposed to just memorizing common questions and answers.)

Besides, Disk Striping is only good for speed. Defintely go with a RAID 5 setup for fault tolerance. :)

Anyone hiring? ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I agree. Anyone who has come to me emphasizing the fact that they have a McSystems Engineer cert (one free with every Happy Meal) as their primary achievement has been shown the door.

While I agree that it can help land a contract or a job when pitching your services, paper McSystems Engineers are a joke. You have got to have the background to back it up. Spending 30-90 minutes answering a bunch of multiple choice questions six times does not mean that you know what you are doing.

MCSE stands for:

Must Consult Someone Experienced
Morons Crudely Simulating Expertise
Minimising Competence is So Exhausting
Management Conned by Something Expensive
Moe and Curly's Software Experts
Mutated Convoluted Strokery Everywhere
Monetary Compensation Sounds Exciting
Minesweeper Consultant / Solitaire Expert
Making Computers Slow Everyday
Management Coronaries Soon Enough
Megabytes Can Soon Evaporate
Mortifying Crackle of Static Electricity
Mouse Clickings of Sophomoric Experimentation
Making Computers Susceptible to Exploit
Making Computers Spew Errors
Moron Confused by Sun Equipment
Marginal Computer Software Enthusiast
Marksmanship Can Solve Everything
"Mayday", Called Some Experts
Migrane-Causing Suckage Extravaganza
Molasses Comparitively Seems Expeditious
Mutant Computer Solutions Evangelist
Mail Consumed Somewhere in Exchange
Mischief Causing Shipwrecked Equipment
Misconceived Computer Science Experiment
Managers Contain Significant Egos
Me-too Computer Science Education
Maintenance Costs Significantly Extra
Minion of the Crappy Software Empire
Misguided Consultant Slagging Eunuchs

:D

·
Registered
471 Posts
Tell me about it. I've been looking for 4 months now WITHOUT certs. These HR clowns (who generally don't do the actual interview) look for the paper proof above anything else. Otherwise without the certs your e-mail/fax/apps is filtered on out in HR. Bastards...

Originally posted by joekd:
Ok, let me start by apologizing to anyone that I offend with this post.

MCSE certification is a joke!!! I just spent a week of SQLBase training with two recent MCSE graduates in the class. One was just NT, the other NT + win2k certified. I am now completely convinced that MCSE training is nothing but pushing kids with money to pass their tests. These clowns barely knew how to map drives and didn't know what SQLnet was. The class wasn't even working in XP or win2K advanced server, just plain old NT 4.0. We got into a freindly discussion on disk-striping and lost these guys completely. The instructor was in total agreement with me that this is the problem, guys show up with certs, impress the HR guys, get hired for big bucks and then fall on their faces when dropped into the "real" world of computers.

I'm sorry for seeming so harsh but why should any clown with papers become a network admin and then call me for help printing documents with a simple "netuse" command?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts