DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roling up to the gandy bridge (connects Tampa to St. Pete, not lots of traffic), this older Z28 is riding my bumper (mind you we are already doing 55 on the approach), it's wide open in front of us, he hops into the next lane and we punch it...I'm ahead (and suprised), 8 5 or so he's 1 car length, 90-100 he's 2-3 lengths back and holding, 115 he's still there, and MY GOVENOR KICKS IN!?!?! WTF! I ALMOST ATE WINDSHIELD! IT KICKED IN 3 TIMES! I THOUGHT THE R/T WAS NOT SUPPOSSED TO HAVE ONE!
HE PASSED ME AS MY CAR WAS LURCHING BACK AND FORTH AT 110+! then he slowed down and we drove side by side all the way to the next intersection (about 5 miles) and waved each other goodbye.

moral of the story, the R/T, HAS A GOVENOR!

What really pisses me off is this was really one of my first real races in this car and I was WINNING and then to have this happen...I'm really disappointed.

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: Thrasher ]

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I thought I had my R/T up to 115mph and no governor kicked in. Maybe I was just shy of 115. If the weather is decent (no rain or snow), when I go back to visit my parents this Thanksgiving, I will find a nice straight and flat country road to see if there really is no governor. :D I thought someone on here has a pic of his speedo maxed out. Hmmmmmmmmmm.........interesting.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm not saying it kicked in AT 115, somewhere around there, at that speed i wasnt exactly wacthing the speedo :)

coulda been 118 but it wasnt 120

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: Thrasher ]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Maybe they install them on the Dodge models going into the states...

Cause us Canucks arent speed governed, at least not by the car... only our fear

·
Banned
439 Posts
it seems hard to believe a 3.2 es could go faster than 120 if those gauges are accurate. its already a 5500 rpms and only 115mph...maybe i'm just a deprived trep driver who has a 3.3 and that is 3rd gear??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have v-rated tires? My R/T can do well over 120 without limiter. I ride on different tires. michelin mxm4

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've definitely gone over 120, and I have stock Michelin Pilot XGT whateverthehells...

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ah but Alas, my Tires are T rated. 118Mph.

I'm gona call the dealer and gonna see if I can have them reprogram it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
There is a high speed engine controller. I think it's 6000 or 6500 RPM. Are you sure you didn't leave it in 3rd, Thrasher? :D

PS - I'm surprised a R/T Motorsports would come with T tires. My 2K R/T has V Michelin Pilots.

[ November 18, 2001: Message edited by: Sysman ]

·
Registered
558 Posts
Too bad Thrasher. It would have been nice.
We need Ottowrkr to once and for all advise us as to this govenor question.
Ottowrkr, wherever u r, help!!
I also have the MXMXMXMXMXMMXXMMXXXMXXX4 V rated tires. Maybe it is a programming issue. r your yellow lettered tires available as V-Rated? If so, maybe the solution is not far away, provided no govenor.
Anyhow, thats it for me for now.

Danny
Capitalcity R/T
01 Black R/T
Chrysler, that is!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Vehicle manufacturers MUST put the governor on a vehicle if the vehicle is capable of exceeding the speed rating of the factory installed tires.

If you received T-Rated-190Km/h tires (as Thrasher did on his Motorsports R/T) they need to activate a governor by 190Km/h.

For R/T's with the Pilot HX MXM4's (V-Rated 240Km/h) we MAY have one, they car is friction/drag governed at about that anyways.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Car & Driver tested an R/T and said 139 mph is when it cuts in. Another mag, can't remember which one said 149 if you run mid/hi test.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
hey thrasher...wanna race now? :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
The gandy Thrasher? On a Saturday night or day? I swore it was the gandy that had all those street races and you're supposed to pay like 20 bucks just to watch... or so kids say around here. It was either the gandy or causeway. Not sure. But I'm sure you could have taken him if that govenor didn't kick in. Great try though. :cool:

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I had my 2000 R/T up to 150mph or so racing on 35w south. Racing a 5.0 Mustang for 2 to 3 miles wide open.The speedo was starting to come up the other side of the speedo . About 2 inches to the left of 120mph. I have Michelins on my R/T. I have had her up to 115mph to 120mph 4 or 5 times so for also no limiter on mine. Thrasher you have Goodyears on your car they do not have as high of speed rating as the Michelins. In the last issue of Mopar Action they test 2001 Motor Sports Dakota 4.7 and it wound not go over 100mph the limiter would kick in. I think you got screwed on your top end speed. You are going to have to get a new power comp.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it was Gandy, at night, I dunno about paying anyone anyting to race OR watch there....it's been known for racing for years...lot of bikes too.

I wasn't in 3rd gear, i wasn't using autostick at the time.

think the dealer would give me flack about reprogramming?

hey sport ...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Thrasher- I don't have the governor either and I had the car up to 120 and was still accelerating. I also have the Michelins MXM4 tires that are V-rated. I sould suggest you talk to the dealer, perhaps there is something in the computer that they can program to tell the limiter what your tire rating is and either not kick in or kick in much later.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
hey sport ...
[/B]
heh heh heh

seriously, how ironic is it that the motorsports edition cars have a speed limiter while the other R/Ts don't?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts