DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

No i don't want to hear about how my car is dirty. :p

My engine is mostly detailed for Carlisle though. Still some places that need touched up. :bgtup:

As for the Meguiars PlastX...I am very impressed with the product, but damn does it take a lot of elbow grease to get it nice and clear.

Edit...and yes I know that foglight is a piece of ****. It is being replaced...it was beyond restoration when I bought it from slewis. :(

--Gorm

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Nice work!! Looks gorgeous... regardless of the salt drip watermarks. Oh wait I wasn't supposed to tell you it was dirty... anyways...

I'd just like to remind people that there could be some abrasion or wearing of the inside of the lense. I see slight clouding on the outside of mine, but there are slight cracks on the inside, almost like something vaporized and then froze or some other chemical reaction I don't know about lol. I plan on replacing the entire assembly, if only for brighter roads at night and to know it will last a while... Great job with your lights though, it honestly looks brand new. You might even be able to try it with the fog, but I know you can get brand new ones on eBay for around $60 a piece.

Josiah

·
Registered
512 Posts
it works magic, but kills the arms, like gorm said. what grit did you use gorm? i was too scared, so i used the finest one.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I tried that my self, and Boi, did it work wonders on my headlamps!, ;), I tried it on my fogs too, They came out ok, but the headlamps came out the best, I will also replace my fogs some time eventuall. that Meguires Stuff works real well on the Speedo plexiglass for fine marks and cloudyness, also your tail lamps too, trust me!, they come out SooooO beautifully NEW!, OmG!, I also tried it onmy cousin's Lincoln Cartier Town Car, I worked like a detail shop, and he was going to buy new Lincoln Headlamps too!, And I saved him a TON of money!, So there it is for you guys, give it a try!, ;)

LUIS

·
Registered
458 Posts
lol, but i am going to try that stuff gorm

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I've used Plast-X and it does pretty good. I have noticed it'll leave a blue haze that yo can see if you look at the headlight from a certain angle. My passenger headlight looks like there's a film peeling off of it. I've tried the Plast-X and it didn't seem to help. Must be something they use on these composite headlights because my wife's old sebring and our old caravan did the same thing. Kinda looks like a clear coat that is slowly receding. I'll have to take pics of mine on my trep, but here's a pic from my wife's old sebring.

If you look closely across the middle you can see what I'm talking about. My passenger headlight is starting to look like that except its still near the top of the lens. Any tips? Maybe I need to work with the Plast-X a little more or harder. What grit sandpaper might I be safe going to?

·
Dain bramaged
7,213 Posts
I prefer Novis Plastic Polish.. 3 steps..

Course, I've also cleaned the headlights with Mothers aluminum rim polish and it worked well too.. so who knows..

·
Registered
76 Posts
froggy81500 said:
I've used Plast-X and it does pretty good. I have noticed it'll leave a blue haze that yo can see if you look at the headlight from a certain angle. My passenger headlight looks like there's a film peeling off of it. I've tried the Plast-X and it didn't seem to help. Must be something they use on these composite headlights because my wife's old sebring and our old caravan did the same thing. Kinda looks like a clear coat that is slowly receding. I'll have to take pics of mine on my trep, but here's a pic from my wife's old sebring.

If you look closely across the middle you can see what I'm talking about. My passenger headlight is starting to look like that except its still near the top of the lens. Any tips? Maybe I need to work with the Plast-X a little more or harder. What grit sandpaper might I be safe going to?

That peeling look that you see, is the a Film that most newer headlights have on them. It is a UV Filter, that is what keeps the lense from yellowing as fast.

But on the you next question: Start with 1000 grit, then work at it with 1500 grit, then graduate to 2000 grit (all wet sandpaper, and use LOTS of water) Then finish off with the Plast-X. But yes you will have to spend a while on it. I have picture of when I did mine, but I have not been able to upload them.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Idaho-Intrepid said:
That peeling look that you see, is the a Film that most newer headlights have on them. It is a UV Filter, that is what keeps the lense from yellowing as fast.

But on the you next question: Start with 1000 grit, then work at it with 1500 grit, then graduate to 2000 grit (all wet sandpaper, and use LOTS of water) Then finish off with the Plast-X. But yes you will have to spend a while on it. I have picture of when I did mine, but I have not been able to upload them.
Ahh, I figured it was some kind of coating and that explains it. Can you see how bad that sebring headlight was? My wife used to complain about how bad it was trying to see at night. Mine on my trep looks like its peeling or receding but its not yellowing yet. I'll have to look around for 1000-2000 grit paper. Yeah gotta keep it nice and wet or else. And its probably better to remove the housing from the car, I imagine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you can see that kind of damage in a picture, you know it is pretty bad. Yeah it is a good Ides to take the housing off the car. I know wal-mart carries the sandpaper. Over in the Automotive section.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
lol, Mine came out pretty good, but I also noticed that my Driver headlamp's low beam Little SHeet metal bulb cover fell off, WTF???!! , cant get it out either, any ideas?, will get pics up soon, thanks!

:)

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
luisa said:
lol, Mine came out pretty good, but I also noticed that my Driver headlamp's low beam Little SHeet metal bulb cover fell off, WTF???!! , cant get it out either, any ideas?, will get pics up soon, thanks!

:)
Holy ****! I had that happen on the caravan I got rid of to get my trep. What a PITA! I used a needle nose plier and bent safety wire to get it back into its slot, twice! Good luck. Not a task for someone with limited patience!

·
Registered
646 Posts
For all of you guys who polish your car with DA's or some kind of buffer. Use the same compound you use on your paint for your headlights, works a million times better and is MUCH faster then plastic cleaner/polish stuff. I've used both systems. Also it looks as if your headlights are still slightly cloudy and could be polished more, but I dont think plastic polish will get it any closer to clear. I polished mine at work after i wet sanded the hell out of them and used plastic polish. I started with the most abbrasive compound and worked my way up, I also ended up using a wax on the lights for shits and giggles. Turned out brand new, cept for the duct tape holding them in :p

·
Registered
94 Posts
^ I started at 400 grit wetsanded, moved up to 600, then 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500
Then finally polished with Plastic-X

1 - 20 of 22 Posts