DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 ES with the 3.2L engine. I think I am getting pretty poor mileage. What should I expect out of this car? It would really help if you could express your figures in metric numbers not miles. I have had the car for about a month and a half and it only has 3500 km on it. How long before the engine is broken in enough to get a realistic number? The most I have gotten out of a tank of gas was about 450km and that was only when driving like a grandma. I bought the car to drive but if I have to fill it up every 350 km or so I might have to re-think the decision. Everything else about the car is great. :eek:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
hmm, I used to get 14L for 100kms. but now Im around 12.5 - 13. I used to drive the car like a mad man, Ive started to take it easy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. That is pretty poor, I could get between 9 and 10 L per 100km on my Oldsmobile. Hmmm. :(

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I get about 16L/100 or so sometimes cuz I like to drive with a heavy foot =). Sometimes I get really pissed about the economy though, so then I drive like grandma and get about 13L/100. Fuel economy is the worst thing about this car (and I was thinking about a Dakota R/T 20L/100 minimum). I like to think about the fuel this way though... If I woulda bought a shitty ass Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, I would be getting slightly better fuel economy, but my insurance rates would be $120/month higher than my R/T. **** it's like the insurance companies think I'm driving a grandmamobile! A base Chevrolet Cavelier with NO options for $11000 or so has much higher insurance rates than my $30000 R/T.

So, what you spend in gas you save 3 times as much in insurance, at least in my case I do. I'm with Belair direct if you wanna know, you can even get a free instant quote online!

·
Registered
558 Posts
I don't know what my mileage is (KM/L) but it sucks. I don't race or anything and it still sucks. It stays on full for a half a block and then slides down to empty real
fast.

For a 3.5L V-6 with absolutely no low end torque, I'm surprised.

Still like the car though, going on 13,500KM or 8400 US miles.

Danny
Capitalcity R/T

·
Registered
328 Posts
I get 10L/100km . Mostly highway.
As for low end torque, hmm, must be a big diff from one car to the next because i can spin the tires at will.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My co-worker picked up 2002 when they first showed, and his mileage did not get below 13L/100 until he hit about 10,000 k.m, all city driving. Apparently he talked with the dealer, and this is the total norm. My 2002 has only 2,500 km on it and am sitting at about 14.0L/100, it started at 18L for the first thousand, and has started dropping pretty quickly since.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Mr. Gr8wht

We all know that the Trep is lacking low end torque. That is why almost everything can beat us 0-60MPH. Our range is in the mid-to high end where we are very privledged to beat the crap out of most. So barring the ability to do 0-60 in under 7 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 13 secs or less, I would have to say our low end torque is very minimal.
Since most of my driving is around town, I would think that the KM/L would be more respectable as opposed to a Mustang GT, Z-28, Acura 3.2L and so on.
As I say, fill it up and count the seconds until the needle starts to drop.

Danny
Capitalcity R/T

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot guys. I guess I will just have to wait and see if I get the payback at 10,000 as noted above. I am just short of the first oil change (4500 or so).

On the wheel spin topic, I can absolutely fry the tires from a stop without thinking about it.

The part that bothers me about it is when I am going around a corner and get up on it half way through the tires start spinning and I end up way wide of the intended line. Better tires would probably fix the problem.

Still love the car though, the mid range 100 - ???? drop down passing is awesome.

Fuel consumption still sucks.
:cool: :cool: :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts