DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the summer Chrysler brought out a cop version of the Magnum to Grattan raceway in Michigan for the Michigan State Police to test. The power and speed were very impressive! Unfortunately, DC needs to work on the brakes! (sound familiar?)
One of the officers was clocked at 123 MPH on one of the straights - unfortunately, as he entered a turn he had NO brakes. foot right to the floor. The car went right through the guardrail, through a dirt berm, and into a field. the officer was only slightly injured. The Dodge boys threw a tarp over it and got it outa there quickly! a few pics were snapped before they tarped it. I hope they finally work out the brakes! There hasn't been a real cop car on the road since the Caprice!

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
alleycat said:
During the summer Chrysler brought out a cop version of the Magnum to Grattan raceway in Michigan for the Michigan State Police to test. The power and speed were very impressive! Unfortunately, DC needs to work on the brakes! (sound familiar?)
One of the officers was clocked at 123 MPH on one of the straights - unfortunately, as he entered a turn he had NO brakes. foot right to the floor. The car went right through the guardrail, through a dirt berm, and into a field. the officer was only slightly injured. The Dodge boys threw a tarp over it and got it outa there quickly! a few pics were snapped before they tarped it. I hope they finally work out the brakes! There hasn't been a real cop car on the road since the Caprice!

Stories like that will scar off any potential sales. Get the pictures so we can send them to every police dept in north america. We don't want our law enforcment officers(or the puplic) killed by poor equipment. I can see the brake problem. With a car that heavy they need very good brakes. I cooked a set of 300C brakes in about a 5 KM drive.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
It's a good thing they are testing it now, to get the problems worked out with it. If not then yes then their cop car sales will tank permanatly.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many departments prefer RWD for the balance - so they dont consider the intrepid. It's nice that DC now has an option for them! One would think that the brakes are easy to fix - just put on some huge, thick rotors with Brembo calipers!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
:worthless

You would think that photos of something spectacular like that would have made it to the Internet by now.

Through a guardrail and dirt berm at >100 mph with no harm to the driver? I don't know that even Chrysler would claim that kind of safety protection. Lots of holes in this story, it would be helpful to know exactly where it came from.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My brother is an officer in that jurisdiction. He was not at the track that day - but some of his fellow donut eating mongrels were.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Just a joke, take it easy.

The story does sound scary though. Not sure how accurate the source was, 'cause fading is common, but totally brake loss (as in no pressure at all) is another issue. Sounds almost like a line rupture.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
adaptabl said:
Stories like that will scar off any potential sales. Get the pictures so we can send them to every police dept in north america. We don't want our law enforcment officers(or the puplic) killed by poor equipment. I can see the brake problem. With a car that heavy they need very good brakes. I cooked a set of 300C brakes in about a 5 KM drive.
You just can't find enough bad things to say about the LX cars can you?

Every department should order 3.5 SERs with the 6spd manual, even though there's no official police package. Happy now?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
RJ said:
You just can't find enough bad things to say about the LX cars can you?

Every department should order 3.5 SERs with the 6spd manual, even though there's no official police package. Happy now?

They just need to purchase safe cars to protect them and us.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Same story as Crown Vics that blow up:

It has happened, but not to every car and it's correctable.

The police trep test models' pads were later found to not have been properly broken in, atleast Chrysler say so. If they took it easy at first before doing crazy tests, it might've been better.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Coping said:
Now I don't believe you. I doubt you would refer to cops as "donut eating mongrels" if your brother was really a cop.
hey - you've never seen them at Krispy Kreme - they get a free dozen - EACH!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I call BS on this story 100%.
No facts, sounds made up and the brakes on the Magnum were tested to distruction by DC so a little test by a cop means diddly.

Now what probably happened, cop went into corner too fast, lost control, hit guardrail.

you forgot to add the crown vic exploded when it drove over a paper cup!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
or the cop was like that subaru driver. goign 120 and trying to see what the car can do. how often do cops get to 120 ? not very often. so the cop probly got what he deserved. safe cars ? all cars are safe. we have unsafe drivers who drive safe cars unsafely.

·
Registered
36 Posts
RJ said:
Same story as Crown Vics that blow up:

It has happened, but not to every car and it's correctable.

The police trep test models' pads were later found to not have been properly broken in, atleast Chrysler say so. If they took it easy at first before doing crazy tests, it might've been better.
Considering that the Grand Marquis and the Town Car are on the same platform they'll all blow up when struck in the rear :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Grand Marquis and Town Car drivers do not sit at the side of the highway ideling all day, or pull somebody over during bad visibility weather.

You don't see Concordes or 300Ms with flames shooting out of their front brakes do you?

·
Registered
36 Posts
RJ said:
Grand Marquis and Town Car drivers do not sit at the side of the highway ideling all day, or pull somebody over during bad visibility weather.

You don't see Concordes or 300Ms with flames shooting out of their front brakes do you?

Yes, very good points.

But I was being a little sarcastic. I remember when they did a story on one of those news shows about the crash/fires. And every one was like OMG your Crown Victoria/Town Car/Grand Marquis can catch on fire if your rear ended.

Those incidents were when a car was traveling at high speed. I would expect to be dead or seriously maimed if I were in one of those cars at the time of impact like that. I saw some pictures of some of the cars and from certain angles they no longer resembled a car!

·
Registered
973 Posts
GR8WHT said:
I call BS on this story 100%.
No facts, sounds made up and the brakes on the Magnum were tested to distruction by DC so a little test by a cop means diddly.

Now what probably happened, cop went into corner too fast, lost control, hit guardrail.

you forgot to add the crown vic exploded when it drove over a paper cup!
I 100% agree. In fact I bet nothing even close to that happened. :bsflag:

·
Registered
866 Posts
The Crown Vics that had the fires were all hit my vehicles going very fast...some over 70 mph, and most were trucks. In any other car, the officer would have been killed by the collision itself. Maybe a better viewpoint would be to consider how many cops have been SAVED by their Vic in accidents where they sustained minor/survivable injuries yet would have died in any other car. Of course that's nowhere near as newsworthy so the media doesn't talk about that...they go for the stories they can sensationalize and sell.

My cousin was driving his mom's '97 Vic with his wife-to-be and younger brother. He was T-boned by a pickup that blew through a stop sign at about 45 mph and smashed into the driver's side. It spun the Vic around and the passenger's side hit another car. If you saw the car you wouldn't think anyone survived. They were all wearing seat belts. My cousin that was driving broke a rib and got a few cuts. His girlfriend in the passenger seat broke her wrist and had some damage to her knee. Other than some cuts and bruises they were fine and able to crawl out of the car. The guy in the pickup died even though he had his belt on. It was an older Dakota. The engine was pushed upwards and back and the cab rotated forward so that the engine pushed the dashboard back into the guy and he was trapped between the dash and the A-pillar. The woman driving the car that the Vic spun into had a broken hip and almost lost her left arm. It was so quick and violent of a collision that the rear axle came off and the whole dual exhaust system sheared off from it's hangers and dropped onto the road almost completely straight and intact.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts