DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres something to spark a new thread,

Who has how many miles on thier second gens, and what past/current problems have ya'll had with em, if any?

trying to see what can possibly go wrong and what to possibly expect down the road.
but i have a ways to go since i'm just now at 1000 miles. :D

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
LOL, I think i got everyone beat hands down on mileage (not necessarily proud of this one though) I have a '98 2.7 which is now up to 97,419 miles. It had pretty high miles on it when i got it, but I dont think any major work has been done on it before. I've had it since last October, and haven't had a single problem with it so far.

~JGarrett98

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have 6,000 miles on my R/T, no problems yet ...EXCEPT the low growl sound at start-up from the belt drive thing. Haven't taken it in for adjustment yet. Also I took the car to the Michelin dealer for a low sounding thump sort of sound (low speed) from my left front tire. They found a "soft spot" (his words) on one of the tread lines. Soft and almost gummy. About a 5" spot. Says he's never seen anything like it so he took a photo and has Emailed it and details to Michelin home office for guidance. No reply yet.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hey Thrasher...For the near term report, I have 3000 miles on my Intrepid RT. I pushed the Trac button into the dash. They easily fixed it. Had the oil changed a week or so ago. The mechanic thought that there was too much pedal travel on the brake. I find that the car revs high when starting first thing in the morning...1700 RPM. And the transmission has a serious clunk when putting it into Park after being in Autostick. Feels like its going to fall out. All minor stuff. Going in on the 20th for adjustments.
Also, the birds are crappin' all over the thing. Either they like the black or hate the Intrepid. My problem.. not Chrysler's.
No problems otherwise. Still happy.
No beach here to cruise with the RT but the pedestrians on the sidewalks sure like mine.
The tires and pipe get them rockin'.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
39K on my '99

Very few minor problems...

The tires that came from the factory were all out of round. The tire shops could not get any of them to balance correctly. Instead of having Chrysler replace them, I went and bought all new wheels and tires (upgraded to 16's), because I didn't like the cheesy hubcaps anyway.

The car has a slight wobble to it at highway speeds, which about half the people on this board seem to have...hopefully an alignment will fix it since I know it's not the new tires I just got.

Every couple of months I have to empty the plastic tailight bar that runs across the trunk bceause it fills up with water...

And last but not least, today, I went to put wheel locks on my new rims...and I just placed the wrench on the lugnut (honestly I just placed it on there...no lie!!!) and the friggin wheel stud broke off with the lugnut!! I was sooooo upset...so I have to get a new rotor now for my driver's side front wheel. That really pissed me off so much, I threatened to trade it in on a new Mustang....but cooler heads prevailed and I am back in good graces with my 'Trep.

Still love it after a couple "teething problems". It's a great car.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Intrepidatious - you dont need to buy a rotor. The wheel studs are on the front hud/bearing and can be easily replaced one at a time. Wheel studs get stripped at the plant and we just change the damaged one. Who told you that you need the whole thing , a dealer?? Buy one wheel stud and have a garage change it for you.

·
Registered
349 Posts
well, i have 51k miles and my transmission is toast. won't go into reverse at all with alot of clanking and grinding, and all drive gears have a loud winding noise. probably something to do with the automatic clutch. I thought it was the input speed sensor because replacing that fixed it last november, but that didn't work and there's a lot of metal sediment on the sensor I took out of it. I'm SOL with no car for a long time because transmission work is too expensive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think I'm leading in the mileage department. 201 000 km. What's that, about 125 000 miles. Of course I've only had the car for 1000 of those kms.

The alarm kept going off. There is a problem with the trunk circuit so its disconnected for now and the alarm has stopped going off by itself.

Vibration at high speeds. Original tires are the likely culprit.

Other than that everything seems to be fine.

The manual says the timing belt should be changed at 168 000 km or 84 months. I'm over the 168 000 but heck 84 months is 7 years. It's only 3 years old. Is the mileage a bigger factor than the length of time? Does the Intrepid have the type of engine that gets damaged if the belt goes?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I got my R/T on Feburary 3rd with 3 miles on the odometer. It now reads 14,909. The only problem I've had so far is that the power mirror switch popped out in my hand 2 days ago so its going in to get repaired under warranty on Tuesday.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Love my intrepid, but oh the problems...'00 base with just turned 12,000 on the odo. so far:
all 4 trim pieces on the doors replaced because of warping, psg pwr window motor replaced, drivers front wheel bearings replaced, 3 spark plugs replaced (all at seperate times and the problem, rough idle at start, engine light on, still happens, not as frequent) bent valve in the engine, replaced valve, car shifts rough and often, especially on slight inclines, rattle in dash that was fixed.

love the car, hate the problems.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
1998 ES with about 65,000 miles!

Not one mechanical problem, just a little annoying problem with the stereo that's not a big deal! That's all :)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Rob98ES- change that belt. yes milage is a bigger factor .Damage will happen if that belt breaks and the engine is running, can you say bent valve . While your at it change the water pump , it is in the same area and will save you money in the long run.

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: ottowrkr ]

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
My '01 R/T with 300 miles at the time would not start... and left me stranded in a public parking garage. Major hassle to get it towed out. Dealer said there was a broken wire to the starter. Dealership been kissing my ass ever since... (did some minor body work to fix a scratch i had on the rear bumper for free).

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: DjPiLL ]

·
Registered
145 Posts
98 sedan w/48K.
and so far...
-fan motor
-window motor (driver)
-shake at high speed
-a little tremble when im stopped
-and now breaks are making a horrible noise
Hey I got a question. I've noticed that at times my steering wheel is not really centered with my tires. I also remember my last intrepid having the same prob. Can anybody relate?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Here's the problem with my 2000 R/T. The oil filter won't seal right and I keep getting a small leak around it. I had to put about a 1/4 of quart in it yesterday (changed the oil about 2 months ago). It's happened on my last 2 oil changes. Guess the next time it comes due, I'll brining it to the dealer so they can check it out!

·
Registered
297 Posts
99 Intrepid ES

65,000 miles in two years due to work. Like others here I had problems with the passenger window not working and bleeder valve leaking. The only major repair was the pitman arm and steering gearbox being replaced. Turned out it was a factory defect and thank god my etended warrenty covered it. Otherwise it's been a solid car.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
BC42875 - are you sure about those repairs? as the LH cars do not have a pitman arm or steering gear box? Could it have been a tierod arm and the rack and pinion . Just wondering.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Currently have 8600 miles on my 2000 R/T.
I purchased it with 800 miles on the odometer in early JUNE 2000. My only warranty work was at 1800 miles when they replaced the entire left front control arm.
According to ottowrkr, the control arms come pre-assembled from an outside supplier. Apparently the bushings were put in wrong and finally it just broke, causing this clanking sound. Four days later (no replacement vehicle was offered) I had the car back. I have changed my oil three times so far and only use MOBIL ONE synthetic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Currently have 16,500 on my 2000 R/T. Purchased it with 53.

I too had to have the left-front lower control arm replaced because of a loose bushing.

I use only Mobil 1 oil that I change every 6,000 miles and a Mobile 1 filter that I change every 3,000 miles. The stuff just doesn't break down.

Only other problem I've had is driver power seat clunks when breaking and accelerating and, I believe, the transmission "hunts" a little too much while cruising in the mid-50's. The car is smooth as glass on the highway no matter what speed I'm cruising at (except for the gear "hunting").

Oh, I guess I should mention the factory front bra left scratches on both front fenders (where it wraps from wheelwell to engine bay). The only problem I've had with the hood bra was when it caught a small pebble and scratched the hood (in a zany Spirograph kind of way). Now I just use a liberal dose of Zymol on the front if I'm going to do any highway driving. The bugs come right off.

The car is also a little noisy, but that's probably because I removed the large muffler under the rear seat. Everyone I've talked to seems to like it though. Say's it sounds "just right" (Okay, so I'm just a big kid).

Now I need to convince the wife that it needs new wheels and tires. I created a web page to try to figure out which ones (some of them are just for fun of course).

All in all though, after slightly over a year, I'm still in love with the car. I can't walk away from it without looking back. Strangers are always approaching me and commenting on it (young and old). My wife is a little concerned :p

[ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: CyberKansas ]

[ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: CyberKansas ]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts