DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I have a 94 model year one, Its missing a few plastic bits through. Maybe one day If I'm feeling destructive enough I'll take it apart and see what I can tinker. I'd love to find a set of proper scale model wheels that look like the 300m Special Wheels.

edit: A little digging, these are as close as I've been able to find so far.
http://www.megahobby.com/spiderchromerimswtires41/24-1/25pegasus.aspx
or maybe these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobby-Design-1-24-20inch-Wheels-AVS-Model-F15-for-Nissan-GTR-R35-HD03-0110-/271107956399?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Kits&hash=item3f1f4b1eaf
oh, you'd also have to find a spoiler... Hrrrrmmmm....

·
Dain bramaged
7,202 Posts
Nice find on the wheels, yea, I want to take one of mine and repaint it again to match my car - with the correct wheels to my summer wheels.

What plastic bits are bad on yours? I'll try to make a how-to on taking them apart for you.
I'll have to dig it out, but I think one of the mirrors is missing and possibly a wiper arm.

·
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
On that "limited edition" one, I might be willing to offer him something - but he's going to argue back that the other "rare ones" (the 1996 model sold in toy stores) are going for $40. I paid too much for my last one I got, but only because it was one of the truely rare ones.

They do seem to come and go on eBay in waves...

·
Dain bramaged
7,202 Posts
I will probably be stuck for the spoiler, but Its not a huge thing.

I also wanna find a 94 style Caravan for my buddy. I think he'd get a kick out of it.

edit: I dug it out. The tissue is from when it was shipped. The Passenger side Mirror is gone, otherwise its complete. Its the blue, but shows slightly purple in the pics for some reason. I bought this from Gaze when he was liquidating his Intrepid stuff.

·
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
The headlights are probably the most disappointing feature of the car, followed by the tires. The tires are a pathetic lump of rubber, but they are at least KINDA like GoodYear sidewalls.

The headlights, when I repaint mine, will have to be taken off completely (masking doesn't work), and the back side of the headlights will be painted silver (the metal part, not the back of the plastic). Then super glue the lights back on. The fog lights, however, will be a challenge - as they are not possible to remove, and are hard to mask. I think I may try masking them with drinking straws.

·
15,449 Posts

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I've had quite a bit of experience building and reworking models. I won a Jada toys contest with a 240z that I rebuilt and you mentioned every problem that has plagued model car builders since the dawn of time! Especially the metal flake issue! The trick is to find a suitable match that was designed for use on models. Using real automotive paint almost always ends in comically large flake or paint that is so thick all of the fine detail is lost forever! Also keep in mind that automotive paint is very "hot" and will melt most plastics used in models, its not a big deal on the diecast body but those trim pieces could get ruined!

Heres a couple shots of the Z that I did to give yall some inspiration. I did a lot of subtle mods, shaving the mirrors and door handles, and a few not so subtle mods, scratch built engine!

·
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Looks great, Dave. Why didn't it have a motor in it that you had to scratch build it?

Yup, I didn't paint any trim when I painted mine, none that was plastic anyway. Glad I didn't.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts