DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone seen this? Today was the first time i have seen it. Please don't flame or tell me to search, "high mileage" would get back a billion threads.

My wife's concorde has about 106,000, and i would love to put synthetic in, but i have always heard not above 75,000 since it can cause problems. This seems to reconcile that problem, right?

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
As I said before....it is not good for the engine. Some people say it's ok to do it but that is too many miles to switch oil on the engine.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Who is trying to sell the product?????? Is it Mobil1? Yes it is, Go figure.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
fearless 2000 said:
As I said before....it is not good for the engine. Some people say it's ok to do it but that is too many miles to switch oil on the engine.
How about posting some verification for your statements on this. You seem to be somewhat of a lone voice in the wilderness on this. I for one would make it a priority to do this.

·
Registered
683 Posts
BLD 25 said:
anyone seen this? Today was the first time i have seen it. Please don't flame or tell me to search, "high mileage" would get back a billion threads.

My wife's concorde has about 106,000, and i would love to put synthetic in, but i have always heard not above 75,000 since it can cause problems. This seems to reconcile that problem, right?
If you're worried about going straight to synthetic then do blends to get there.

Start off with 1 qt synthetic and 4 regular. Next oil change 2:3, then 3:2 and so on, until you're running just synthetic.

You can adjust these numbers so you don't have to do it in so many changes, but that's the basic idea.

·
Registered
795 Posts
- Honesly when oil is hot either synthetic or dino is thin enough to leak if one is present. Puting synth in will not cause sudden catastrophic leaks.
- Dino oil has cleaners just like syth, so changing won't dislodge a ton of **** and blow your engine either, (thats what the oil filter is for also).
- the mobil 1 "high mileage" is just what they call their 10w-30... the 5w-30 is "newer car" formula. Same **** different pile. I use the "high milge" 10w-30 in the summer, (3.5 calls for it), and I only have 60,000km.

I wouldn't use the 10w30 yet unless it's quite warm where you are... it's a bit thicker when cold.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DJDiggler said:
-
- the mobil 1 "high mileage" is just what they call their 10w-30... the 5w-30 is "newer car" formula. Same **** different pile. I use the "high milge" 10w-30 in the summer, (3.5 calls for it), and I only have 60,000km.
it is a new formula, check out the link that dodgeaholic posted. That is why i was asking.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I have read this in several articles. As soon as I find them I will post them here. It is just stupid to pay more for oil when his car has over 75k on it.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I switched at 80,000 miles and It has been fine for over 20,000 miles now.

It would be in your best interest to switch to synthetic, especially for a high mileage engine. You will get alot more out of the engine buy using synthetic.

It's never too late to treat an engine right, as long as it is still running good. You just have to be willing to pay the extra money it requires.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Phuckin Phil said:
I switched at 80,000 miles and It has been fine for over 20,000 miles now.
I switched mine over when I bought it in 3/03 when it had 56k on it.
Switching it over at high mileage is NOT bad for the motor.
It will NOT leak any more, or less than dino would.
I would flush the motor prior to switching.
Get the crankcase good and cleaned out...also gets the oil passages as well. Maybe prior a week or so prior to the oil change, run a can of Seafoam in the crankcase. Then the day of, run a can/bottle of Motor Flush through the engine. Follow the directions to the letter Then drop the oil, and filter. Then add the synthetic oil..and go to town!!

You will be good to go, and sorry you didn't do it sooner.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
shadowvox6 said:
I switched mine over when I bought it in 3/03 when it had 56k on it.
Switching it over at high mileage is NOT bad for the motor.
It will NOT leak any more, or less than dino would.
I would flush the motor prior to switching.
Get the crankcase good and cleaned out...also gets the oil passages as well. Maybe prior a week or so prior to the oil change, run a can of Seafoam in the crankcase. Then the day of, run a can/bottle of Motor Flush through the engine. Follow the directions to the letter Then drop the oil, and filter. Then add the synthetic oil..and go to town!!

You will be good to go, and sorry you didn't do it sooner.
This thread was not about me waiting to switch, I switched the day I bought my trep. We were all helping bld 25 make the decision. Well, all of us besides fearless, no offense.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Phuckin Phil said:
This thread was not about me waiting to switch, I switched the day I bought my trep. We were all helping bld 25 make the decision. Well, all of us besides fearless, no offense.
I know, I was agreeing with you...
you switched at a higher mileage....I was using that as an example!!

Carry on...

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Why in the hell would you want to switch to synthetic with a Dodge Intrepid???? Why spend close to $40-50?? That is stupid. If I am the only one who would not switch, I guess I know how to save money and not jeopardize my engine's life. I have a GTO with a rebuilt engine, I will not even put synthetic in that. It is funny, all of these articles that you guys are posting are mostly from Mobil1. Go figure. Have I read those articles? Yes. Do I think it is BS? Yes Have you guys read articles on why you should not switch? Probably not. No difference.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Advantages of Synthetic
Synthetic oil was originally developed for high performance racing engines. Mobil tried to popularize synthetic oil for passenger vehicles back in the early 1970's. At the time, Mobil was promoting 20K or 25K oil changes with synthetic, but they soon backed down from this. Synthetic oil is a good choice if you have a vehicle with a high performance engine (in fact synthetic is required for many of these engines). It is also a good choice if your vehicle is operated in extremely cold climates. It has higher resistance to breakdown caused by heat and it flows better in extreme cold. Unfortunately for the synthetic oil industry there is virtually no advantage to using synthetic oil in a non-high performance engine that is operated in moderate climates. You probably could go a bit longer between oil changes with a synthetic, i.e. following the normal service schedule even if you fall into the severe service category, but I wouldn't advise this. In short, synthetic may give you the peace of mind of knowing that you are using an oil that is far better than necessary for your vehicle, but it won't reduce wear or extend the life of the engine. The mistake some people make it to wrongly extrapolate these benefits onto normal engines operated in mild climates, with the ultimate lack of any knowledge being manifested with statements such as "synthetics provide 'Peace of Mind,' or 'Cheap Insurance,'" or other such nonsense.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
This article describes people who use synthetic. Not me, Like most of you said.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts