DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that every car is different, and where you live has to do with how much your mods help your car. Yet, what mods are out for 1st. gen. Intrepids, and what are the (guesstimate) hp you achieve from each mod? What mods have some of you done, that you (with your opinion) like and have helped. Also can anyone point me to the right direction on finding out what the hp and torque specs are for a 96 3.5L? I've been told that hp is at around 214 stock. I posted this message to get a an idea on what i should do, and what should be done first. example- intake, exhaust, wires-better plugs, tbspacers, chip, and ignition system? what would my hp and torque be on a guesstimate? I appreciate any feedback!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
214HP @ 5700 rpms? (can't remember rpms somewhere in 5000's)
221 lb/ft @ 3100 rpms (95-97 intrepids only)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. It gives me somewhat of a borderline to start with for the mods. It may sound kind of funny, but I wouldnt mind going out to a dyno shop after I've done the modifications, just to see where the car stands. It'll never be the fastiest Intrepid out there, and for reason that I'm going to be dishing out aleast a thousand or more for the mods- getting the car dynoed will help finding out if I've added aleast 30+ horsepower to the car. It's really not a lot, but just by putting an intake- you can feel the car accelerate abit faster, and thats only about a 7hp mod!

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
the best way is to dyno or track run before mods and then after mods to see how much if any difference was made

believe it or not people have spent a lot of money on mods to find out their car runs slower

that's what test and tune days are for..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the last thing I would want to hear from the dyno shop is that my car doesnt perform better with the mods! :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can anyone tell what exactly is the Champion Gold series plug. I've called around to other autopart stores and they dont know what I'm talking about. Just a quick guess- are we talking about Champions truck plugs- the copper and black ones? We do carry those but dont show up on the screen on Intrpids, I did look into it and the same plugs that fit a 96 Intrepid will fit Dakota 2.5- the Champion truck plug is 4412(if i remember correctly). I hoping those are the ones everyones talking about!

·
Registered
530 Posts
no it is not the same thing. I'll find you the number around here and post it.

·
Registered
866 Posts
What ya gotta do, is put a big ol' spoiler on there. You're guaranteed an extra 55 HP.

65HP if it is a different color than the car. I'm serious....just ask a civic driver.:tongue:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I put a racing brake pedal on my car and it stops about 20 feet shorter at 40 mph :p

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Somebody told me that if i were to put the rainbow-blinking valve stem caps on my wheels that should get an additional 10 hp out of my car! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Ok, back to something constructive...
madmykl, I had to special order my plugs from the local NAPA. The set of 6 carried part number 2412, and I think the plugs share that designation. The Champion Golds are the highest quality Champion plug that you can buy. These plugs are the same design, with higher quality conductors and materials, as the CHAMPION RC12LYC which is the recommended update from DC for pre-96 and should be stock on 96+ first gen 3.5L cars. These plugs, both the Golds and RC12LYC, have a recommended gap of .035, which is what I am running and am very happy with them. Also, while you are under the hood changing the plugs, it may be a good time to get rid of those old wires. If you are planning on it I would have to recommend Taylor Vertex wires. These can be bought from SummitRacing.com and carry the part numbers TAY-74278 for red or TAY-74678 for blue. I think that they make black colored wires also, but I am unsure of what the p/n is... If you put in TAY-74078 as the p/n at SummitRacing.com you will get a different description of the part, but it still says that it is an ignition wire set for a V6...

Good luck on your car.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I went to all my local autoparts stores & they had never heard of them, when I asked them about champion golds for cars, the only gold plugs they have are for trucks, am I asking them the wrong question, or are they clueless?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
They must just be clueless... Go to NAPA and have them see if they can get the aforementioned part number for Champion plugs. I know that they sell them. NAPA is a national chain, therefore they all sell the same autoparts.

Good luck,

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
see now... That I don't know. Let me consult my manuals...

No... Sorry. In fact, the type of plug that your engine requires (3.3L I assume) depends on whether or not it is flex fuel.

The recommended plug for your engine (Champion Copper) carry the p/n:
RN14MC5 -- non-flex fuel
RN12MC4 -- flex fuel

Just to reiterate. This is for the 3.3L only. The flex fuel engine was used only in '94-'95.

The gaps vary between years. If ya need that info. Let me know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts