DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got tired of moisture accumulating in the long, red plastic trim on rear deck lid so I removed one from an 02 trep ex-cop car. Upon close examination, I found that there were two "eyebrow" like slits (cracks?) on the top side of the molded blister housing for the 3rd brake light bulbs. Since water is getting in and not getting out, I decided to drill a 3/32" hole in the corner of the black plastic inner portion of the red plastic reflector/3rd brake light assembly. So far it seems to be working well enough, that I went ahead and repeated the procedure on two more 02 trep ex-cop cars, which I have. Interestingly enough, they both had the same slits (cracks?) above the bulb blister that the first trep had.
Similarly, I had a brake light assy that was accumulating moisture, and fouling the turn signal bulb operation, so I also drilled a few 3/32" holes in the bottom of the black plastic inner part of the tail/brake/turn/backup housing, and the moisture has drained out, and after drying out the turn bulb receptacle the turn signal is working fine again.

·
Registered
14,744 Posts
Drilling drain holes in the long third brake light has been common on the LH cars to drain the fluid that builds up.

As for the "slits" on the top side - I can't remember discussions about that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's common in pretty much any make and model of vehicle, I have done it myself to many different vehicles, even drilled holes in the bottom of headlamps that get moisture or fill up with water.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts