DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
check out ebcbrakes.com. they have slotted and dotted(drilled) rotors for $150bucks a set. The cool part is the rotors come in black. They also have calipers. I want a set calipers.
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/rotorinfo.html

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually Linux, it's other cars like my Father's 00 LeSabre, friend's 02 Taraus, Father In Law's Equinox that have led me to believe I need to buy premium rotors.

I've had this LHS since 1999. Tried 3 types of rotors. The rotors that came with the car, dealer rotors and drilled and slotted RotoTechs. None of them vibrated. In fact this car has never gave me any of those problems.

My only complaint about the drilled and slotted was they wore my pads down in 9 months. They are probably king in their world of racing but for a daily commuter I find that overkill and I'm not willing to eat a set of pads up in less than a year.

I do know that Wagner Premium rotors fixed my Dad's vibration in the LeSabre. Monroes took care of the Equinox, which by the way, the dealer tried to fix twice.

So to those that have zero braking issues. What rotors and pads do you have?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have been a big fan of Brembo rotors for years. I used to work for a Brembo distributor and I've seen first hand what a difference high quality rotors can make. Seen many cheap rotors come back with complaints. I've had good luck with others, but when I'm able to use Brembos I never hesitate. Raybestos and Wagner pads have always worked well for me.

Btw, drilled rotors are a waste. The heat cycling of daily driving can make them crack. Slotted rotors are the better way to go if you must have something 'racey.' And don't use "race" pads on a street car. They need a lot of heat in them to work and your daily driver will stop worse with race pads than normal street pads.

Most important, use a torque wrench on your wheel nuts to make sure they're tightened evenly. This simple step goes a long way in prolonging the life of your rotors.

Some of this may be preaching to the choir, but thought I'd throw it out for the newbs in the audience.

·
Generating clever phrase...
688 Posts
I'm in the market for new rotors for my fronts. They're gettin pretty bad. Too broke for new brakes too many times.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Has anyone tried these.

Willing to pay the price for pulsation free braking.
Assuming you're talking about the ones at crappy tire, in which case they're known to be fairly good rotors. Never had any personal experience with them, but a friend of mine had them and loved it.

Also, I agree with dsm_drew, drilled rotors are a complete waste unless you want the bling look. There's a reason no competition race cars ever uses drilled rotors - they simply don't work. They crack under high heat.

Keep in mind though, a lot of the pulsation you feel are caused by a combination of pad and rotor. Very rarely do rotors literally "warp", it's just the uneven pad deposition that grab the pad, and cause steering wheel vibrations. So, a good pad is essential as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i just recently bought new front and rear rotors - i got them from r1concepts.com. they costed me $150 for the fronts and backs, with shipping included, and they're drilled and slotted, and zinc coated (so the untouched parts don't rust). the slots were also diamond cut, as opposed to rounded. so far, i love them, they seem to be premium material, and deffenatly helps with stopping/keeping cool. they look fancy too :) - i'd recomend checking them out - it only took 4 days to get them, and well worth it, imo

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Go to UAP and get a set of front rotors for any year R/T or a 2002-up 300m special. You'll get the PHP rotors and it'll only cost around 40-50 bucks a rotor.........

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE.

I installed Wagner Thermoquiets and Monroe rotors from Canadian Tire. These are smooth, quiet and have one minor advantage over my old brakes.

You know that slight rub sound your feet make in the tub. My old brake would do that just before the car came to a complete stop. The new brakes don't do that.

Anyways, I'd recommend the Monroes to anyone with rotor problems. They are quality rotors and priced between garbage and expensive stuff like Wagner premiums or racing rotors.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
UPDATE.

I installed Wagner Thermoquiets and Monroe rotors from Canadian Tire. These are smooth, quiet and have one minor advantage over my old brakes.

You know that slight rub sound your feet make in the tub. My old brake would do that just before the car came to a complete stop. The new brakes don't do that.

Anyways, I'd recommend the Monroes to anyone with rotor problems. They are quality rotors and priced between garbage and expensive stuff like Wagner premiums or racing rotors.
Does your Monroe rotors actually say Monroe on the box?

I just got mine yesterday, but the box actually says Wagner.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The box is already gone to the recyclers. I do not remember Wagner on the box. If I recall correctly it was a pretty plain white box.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The box is already gone to the recyclers. I do not remember Wagner on the box. If I recall correctly it was a pretty plain white box.
Ok, that makes me feel safer.

My box was plain white except for a small sticker on the side with a small Wagner logo. Chances are they're the same.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Love the Wagner Thermoquiet pads, but the clear winner here is R1 Concepts. You can't get any cheaper than their rotors (except Canadians get screwed with duties and taxes if they have them shipped to Canada).

For those in the GTA.......there is a company called "Arm-Can Auto Parts", they have $25 rotors and $25 sets of pads. Not sure of the quality, but all of their auto parts are VERY VERY cheap, and they're open to the public. There is a location in North York on Dufferin St., and another in Mississauga on Derry behind Pearson.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts