DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i bit the bullet and went paint shopping today. i stopped by a reputable body shop and their price was lower than the dealer but they didn't have it in stock, so i ate the extra $1.50 and bought it from the dealer. i went to put it on, starting with some lower body work so i could get the hang before doing the more visible spots, such as the large key scratch, etc. anyway, the color matches perfectly, but the texture is ****. it's raised and unevenly distributed.

i'm planning on sanding it down with 1200 grit paper and doing it again, but before i reapply, what type of implement would be recommended? they said the brush in the cap is a good tool but i have a feeling a cotton swab is probably a better way to go. any body workers in here that could give me a hand?

i got to doc up my trep so i can submit for trep of the month. :D

·
Registered
533 Posts
A cotton swap would probably leave fibers in the paint. What I would try is buffing the area after applying with the in can deal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am having a similar experience with mine. On the one scratch that I have (mostly) fixed, I put the smallest amount of touch up paint on the scratch that would cover the scratch, let it dry for a couple of minutes, then scraped the excess off with my finger nail. Then I polished it with some of the stuff that is supposed to get scratches out which is just expensive polishing compound. That took a couple of trys to get just so, I wiped all off right away with a clean cloth if I didn't like the way it looked. I am still not satisfied with the result though. The scratch is still visible just painted. I would like for it to be filled in so as to be invisible. It seems to me that the paint needs thinning down, probably with toluene. Also a brush with only a couple of hairs would be good. Someone who knows what they are doing HELP US OUT! Please

I'll post pics of the results in a couple of hours, gota get em off the vid cam

·
Registered
533 Posts
I used to work for a fiberglass factory on the paintline. If the scratch cannot be touched up and then buffed out, I hate to say it, but you are going to find a good man with an air brush gun. Even then the results may not be as satisfactory as you would like. There were countless snowmobile hoods (same fiberglass as the bumper covers) that got touched up, did not work, then air brushed, still not right, and finally sanded and repainted entirely. Of course most of the time oour standards were above what one would be looking for out of his daily driver. (We had to have showroom condition). Sorry if that hurts the pocketbook.

·
Registered
533 Posts
One more thing I found this hope it helps some more:web page

·
Registered
533 Posts
One more thing I found this hope it helps some more:web page

·
Registered
17 Posts
An artists No. 2 paintbrush (very small) is ususally much better than the brush in the bottle. Also a toothpick is a good tool to place a tiny drop onto round chips (such as hood dings). Also be patient, it may take several applications to fully fill some chips -- 1 drop at a time-- let dry-- and repeat...

·
Registered
112 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts