DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Trepers....I need any and all tips on how I can get my car to do more miles per gallon. It seems to me like it is wasting way too much gas. I wish I knew exactly how much im getting

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well, you can do the stone age method of using your trip odometer and a calculator with each full tank, Or you can join the rest of us special hombres (¿y mujeres?) and get the overhead console. It's peachy. I'm averaging 22.7 mpg, but I drive from DC to NJ and back every week at triple digit speeds.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Put and egg under your right foot,a joke. Use your speed control and less jack rabbit starts. I know i have a 2000 R/T it is hard not to use all that power. Gas here today is 1.19 gal at some gas stations. So my right foot is very heavy. But when it was 2.00 gal it gets lighter for some reason. Make sure your tires have the right air pis. and your air filter is clean. godd luck.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Yea i know ( good luck) short fat fingers and key boards don`t mix.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Try and calculate your mileage the "stone age" way first. How many miles are you getting between fill-ups? My first gen runs for about 320 miles before the "Hey Asshole" light comes on the dash. I Run her real hard also, if I backed off I could get more, but that wouldn't be any fun!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
the 'hey asshole' light is the favorite light on the dash :p it means that I have been driving for 350 miles. :p
I love driving my 'trep. it is fun

·
Registered
16 Posts
Our experience is that installing a Tornado (www.tornadoair.com) can improve mileage. And I strongly recommend Run-Rite treatments to clean the engine out. That will improve performance, as well. And don't forget to take the air restrictor cone out of the air intake while you're at it.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
There are several ways to do this. The obvious have already been mentioned: drive more conscious of fuel consumption, make sure the tire pressure is correct, have a clean air filter. You could also replace the spark plugs (& wires) if it has been more than ~35,000 miles. You could replace the fuel filter too. You could replace the oxygen sensors. Also, take any extra weight in the trunk out that you don't need on a daily basis.

I get good mileage out of my 'Trep. I keep in tune with the car and give it whatever it needs at all times. I always to routine preventive maintenance and I have had good luck. Most of the time I keep engine RPM under 2500 (even off the line). I am getting like 26 mpg average with 75% freeway driving. :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
RE: Fuel filter replacement for 2nd gen, I was told by the dealer that it was a 100,000 mile item or it didn't have one or something. I asked about having it changed and was going to have it done or do it myself but there was some type of reason I didn't. Info Please???

RE: O2 Sensor, I have almost 36,000 miles and I have a feeling my O2 sensor is failing. I know I hot rod it alot but 210 Miles before the oh **** light comes on, mostly highway miles just sucks. My dad's Ford Mustang GT 4.6 280HP V8 still get's better gas mileage than my 3.2L 225HP V6. The, hesitation and ongoing bump even though my tranny was overhauled could be related I suppose. I remember driving the same with my 95 3.3L Intrepid and going at least 260-280 Miles before having to fill up. I also have the latest PCM/TCM update.

Meant 260HP, don't know why I'm thinkin 280HP. Sorry guys.

I am thinking some of my major problems with the K&N that I had could be because of a failing O2 sensor. Is it hard to replace for next gen? I'd rather just do it myself if it's pretty cheap rather than convincing a dealer that it needs to be replaced under warranty. If it was failing would there be fault codes? Well, I never had any when my engine blew up.

Make sure you have the latest PCM and TCM update! For more information check out my PCM/TCM Update information post under second gen. I still feel my gas mileage sucks but it has improved.

MoparPerformance :confused:

[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: MoparPerformance ]

·
Registered
263 Posts
I was told that the fuel filter was actually IN the gas tank(maybe that's what you were thinking)and that it was really hard to get to and was only due at 100,000 miles- being at 66,900miles now I'm not going to worry about it now

·
Registered
58 Posts
The easiest way for you to get more mileage out of the car is to trade your R/T for my SE. I won't have any problem with the trade :D

·
Registered
602 Posts
RE: Fuel filter, yeah that's what they told me, 100,000 miles. What about the PCV Valve? I thought they said it didn't have one or something. What's up with that.

RE: the last comment for a trade. oh, shoot man, that was a good one brother. hella funny! off da' hook guys!

Have an excellent holiday guys, don't crash!

Later guys,
MoparPerformance :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts