DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having another transmission problem, this one just came out the clear blue. When I put it in drive I have to give some gas and it'll clunk into gear before it starts to move, and when driving everytime it shifts from 1st to 2nd and so on it'll hesitate (the rpms go up because I'm accelerating) and clunk into the next gear. This just started yesterday, so I'm wondering do I replace the trans? Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

·
Dain bramaged
7,294 Posts
Simple things first, Check your fluid. Only use ATF +3 or better if you have to add some.

If the clunk still happens, I'd guess a possibly bad transmission mount.

You car is identical to mine when I got it.. Polycast wheels and all.
btw, the 95 color is Spruce Pearl not Emerald Green.

·
Registered
723 Posts
But V, he stated he has to give it gas to go in gear, and the rpm jumps between shifts.
Sure, a bad mount could cause the clunk, but the other issues?
And it just started yesterday?

·
Registered
98 Posts
LOL...my car is the exact same except the year...lol...

ive been having those problems i just put a quart of ATF in there and it'll stop until about 2-3 weeks...when it needs more transmission fluid...lol...not a major problem tho...its been like that for about a year...

ive been wanting to fix it but i dont want to hear the loud screeching of the mechanics voice saying how much...lol...i woul try to fix it myself but....im kind of a backwards person like most young people in this gen. who'd rather do mods and paint and all other things before getting down to the nitty gritty...lls...engine work...and so on...
(because im scared to **** it up)

·
Dain bramaged
7,294 Posts
But V, he stated he has to give it gas to go in gear, and the rpm jumps between shifts.
Sure, a bad mount could cause the clunk, but the other issues?
And it just started yesterday?
Well, Its very likely low on fluid. I'd be also willing to bet he has a busted mount *its just never shown its ugly head till now* This incident might not be directly related to the mount, but still worth checking out.

*yay for reading comprehension* Plus if its not the fluid/mount, then he's probably heading for a rebuild.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
just curious, if you drop a second gen tranny in there, is it a complete plug and play? I say this cuz 1st gens runs through trannies. There's a TON of second gen trannies in the yard cuz the dead 2.7's... A local yard of mine has like 20 and they are selling them at 70 a pop. So if it's easy to do, anybody needed a tranny replacement can just get a low mile second gen one...

·
Registered
723 Posts
Well, Its very likely low on fluid. I'd be also willing to bet he has a busted mount *its just never shown its ugly head till now* This incident might not be directly related to the mount, but still worth checking out.

*yay for reading comprehension* Plus if its not the fluid/mount, then he's probably heading for a rebuild.
Yeah, I know, I overlooked the simple thing.
I need a nap.

·
Dain bramaged
7,294 Posts
I have a 2nd gen trans in my 95.

You need to change the plug to fit the newer style sensor in the 2nd gen trans, drill the hole in the bell housing and change the back cover.

Its not that hard, just labor intensive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just went on a test drive again, and starting up from cold it'll go into gear and move but still hesitates then clunks between shifts, but when I stop and put in in park and then back to Drive, it won't go until i give it some gas, also I noticed there is a kind of whining sound coming from the area of my torque converter that gets louder with the rpms, no whine when I stop only when I go, and as I go faster, the louder it gets, slow down the lower it gets. Any ideas? I have an spare trans sitting in the garage but if I don't have to use it....

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
So, the trans only does this when the fluid is low, and goes away when you fill it up? If so just fix the leak. That way the tranny will always be full.

·
Dain bramaged
7,294 Posts
the whining sound near the torque converter is probably the fluid pump. If your low on fluid it could do everything you describe. If the pump is going up, it could also do everything you describe.

·
Registered
723 Posts
If the fluid is full and it whines in drive, and takes throttle to make it engage the gear.
I'd say standby for the spare.
Trans. fluid is pretty thin cold (as opposed to engine oil), and gets thinner as it gains heat.
I'd venture a guess that the pump is the problem.
Probably won't be long 'til it goes to limp mode when it's hot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.