DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else try the Mothers Powerball on their rims? I got mine shineing like brand new after several months of storage in like 10 min! I'd highly recommend it (I used the Mothers chrome polish for my rims, but any polish will work).

Also anyone tried "Meguiar's Scratch X"? I have nasty swirl marks in my paint and am hoping this will help... I'll follow that up with some Meguiar's Gold Class Paste Wax . Does this sound good? (I haven't really ever got into properly waxing my car's before, so I'm kind of new at this)

I was also thinking of getting a Power polisher like this Nikota Random orbit 4" cordless polisher. Will something like that do more harm than good?

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Hmm, the Powerball sounds like an idea but you'd have to be careful what you use with it or you're liable to ADD scratches. I used Mother's for years when I was younger and trust their stuff.

I've used the Scratch-X - it's also good for polishing plastics ...

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I wouldn't use the ball on my paint or anything, but on my chrome rims & stainless tips it didn't harm a thing. I also thought the foam would get chewed up fery fast... but it's good as new still.

I should have tried it on my headlight covers, but already ordered a new set... :doh:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I've used ScratchX, not bad, but I've got lots of "spiderwebs" in my paint that won't come out. Meguiar's makes a producdt called PlastX that works good on headlights. I used it on the windshield of my wife's sebring before we got rid of it. The previous owner didn;t appear to believe in replacing wiper blades, as her windshield had wiper marks etched into it. Looked like the shape of 2 rainbows across her windshield. The PlastX didn;t remove it completely, but it did make it a lot hard to see it. I imagine if I worked at it a little more it might have been even better.

Gold Class is good stuff. I've been using the liquid. Last Friday I picked up a bottle of Step 2 Crystal polish and used that first before using the Gold Class and its very impressive! The polish smells like bananas! I spent 3 or so hours on my wife's new Saturn (replaced the Sebring) and holy cow, the car looks darker after I finished it.

#1 Wash car and dry.
#2 If needed-clean paint with rubbing compound or ScratchX (not needed on brand new car)
#3 Used Crystal Polish
#4 Used Gold Class wax.

I'll have to post pics of the Saturn later, IF I can finally get on at home. Still battling accessability issues at home with this site.
And since the weather calls for rain this weekend, its likely I won't get to doing my trep soon.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I actually just got the powerball today. I used it with the Plast-X on my taillights. I had nightshaded them a while back and they have developed a nice white haze over time. After about five minutes the lights are nice and dark again. I also used it on my headlights, but they are pretty clear so I didn't really notice a difference, but it might remove some garbage if the lights were in worse shape. I have got to keep the headlights in good condition since they aren't exactly replaceable! If the weather clears up tomorrow I will be using the new toy on the rims!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought the same thing, but my experience and other reviews I found indicate it's pretty durable. You can reverse it to double the life also. One caution is to stay away from sharp edges. One guy tried to do his truck grill and it's sharp inner surface chewed the foam up.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
There are two sizes of Powerballs now. I bought the large one awhile back, before the smaller version came out (or I was aware of it at least). Haven't gotten around to using it, and I've been concerned as to whether it would get in the sharp curves near the center. Guess I'll find out sooner or later.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just dish soap and warm water (or whatever it says on the box, I think thats it) should be fine... just rinse it well and most of the old polish will be gone.

I recommend the mothers chrome polish, worked great on my chrome rims!

·
Registered
686 Posts
D76G12 said:
Hmm, the Powerball sounds like an idea but you'd have to be careful what you use with it or you're liable to ADD scratches. I used Mother's for years when I was younger and trust their stuff.

I'll have to go buy that Power Ball thing. I hate detailing my rims, hand cramps ya know. (no pun intended).

I've used the Scratch X on my glossy plastics as well. The cowl vent area on my van and the side mirrors. Made them look like new. Dosen't last forever, but not a pain to apply.

·
Registered
686 Posts
saw the powerball advertised on TV last night.

How does it work? By that Imean what do you attach to to make it spin. Does it just go on a drill or do you have to buy a polisher too. (I already have an 8" orbital polisher)

O

·
0 Posts
To : boltuprite.. You use a Drill, remember that the higher RPM's on your drill the less time it will take

·
Registered
686 Posts
ahhh. I see. thanks, I'll give it a look. I have those 'medalion" rims (17 spokes) They look great but are a pain to clean, although not as bad as the 'honeycomb' rims that used to be on the Concorde I had. Had to use a toothbrush on those to get into every hole.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It says on the comercial that you can wash it, do you have to wash it by hand? (The PowerBall)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think I'll pick one up this week.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts