DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, for what it's worth, here's the URL for the article: http://www.motortrend.com/aug01/afv/afv_f.html
While I'm disappointed :( with the results, I can't offer any rebuttals since I haven't driven the Chevy or Ford.
I haven't followed Motor Trend consistantly enough to gauge their opinions (bias).
On the plus side of this, since I'm very pleased with my 00ES, I'm glad that Ford and Chevy are putting out descent products.

·
Registered
30 Posts
While the Impala's exterior is simply ugly, the interior is horrible. The gray interior looks better, but the tan w/ tan leather looks like the color of dark mustard. The whole interior just screams "Rent Me at Enterprise for $20/day!" Okay well maybe not as severely as the Cavalier, but hey...

And while DaimlerChrysler's build quality might be questionable to some, I'd pay for an extended warranty rather than drive an ugly GM pos...

just my $0.02 hehe.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I thought they weren't too unfair to the Intrepid in that article. They said it beat the Impala in interior room/comfort, fit/finish/build quality, ergonomics, ride quality, and handling.

It beat the Taurus in interior room/comfort, ride quality, handling, ad trunk size/utility, and equalled the Taurus in fit/finish/build quality.

It beat both the Impala and the Taurus in interior room/comfort, ride quality, and handling. Not too bad. I'd still buy the Intrepid over any of them, but if I couldn't buy an Intrepid, I'd get a Taurus simply because I hate the Impala's styling.

And the article's writer also said that the Intrepid's styling was the most appealing of the three, something we already knew. :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
I keep tellin' you guys, especially those who are proud of their road kills, this is not a very fast car, especially at low speeds. Taking out Civics and Cavaliers (except for Si's wife), is not by idea of a fast car.
Yes, it pulls hard higher up the line, but do not expect anyone, especially supposedly expert editors, to allow people to believe that the Intrepid is one fast racin' machine. It is not! It is SLOW off the start and I would presume that except for a KIA RIO, anything will take us in the 1st 100'.
Yes, the trunk opening is small. He's not lying.I never sit in the back seat of my car however due to the design VS. Chevy, headroom IS probably tight for some adults. Hey, I have a difficult time cleaning the inside rear window, as I'm sure most of you do, unless you pay a 3 year old to lay down behind the headrests with a rag and Windex.
Face it boys, although large, attractive and North American built (thanks Ottowrkr), the Intrepid is not the choice of automobiles for many purchasers or enthusiasts.
Yes, I did expect the 3.5L magnum to come out of the hole like a rocket, but doesn't. I thought the EPA gas ratings were somewhat accurate. They're not. I thought paying $500+++ for an upgraded sound system would do the trick...It doesn't.
No, I don't hate my car. I really do like it. But don't be disheartened when someone bashes the car. In the automotive industry, it is far from being the jewel. Maybe next time, 2004, I will look at DC again however I will ensure that the following year won't produce a version with substantially more to offer for a couple of thou' more. I may look at the technological advances due at that time and see how DC competes. I don't know what else to say. Enjoy your car like I do. Forget about those who push negative press. Don't expect to race and win, you won't, unless you are in the triple digits MPH, not KPH. Keep you cars in good shape. DOn't bother with MODS. You won't find any and if you do, they probably won't do much to highten the speed. Forget about DYNOs, as one other forum participant found out the hard way earlier last week, and the 173 HP and loose of HP due to the tranny.
I put a post up several months ago re why are so many of the participants so young and drive Intrepids. Needless to say, SPEED was not one of the responses.

Take care.

Danny
Capitalcity RT
01 BLK RT

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I don't think they actually were that hard on it. They praised it more then put it down.

But by saying the Taurus was a newer car then then the Intrepid is just wrong...it's just a reskinned 96 Taurus with a whole lot of revisions...that's how they always blast the Mustang, by saying it's a reskinned '78 Fairmont (which unfortunately, it kinda is platform-wise).

I think if it weren't for the cost premium, it would've ranked better in the end. But if you look at all the grades given at the end of the article, they were all within a whisker of each other. Besides, none of the car mags ever give Dodge a chance...ha ha... :)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
CapitalCity, perhaps so many people feel disheartened when they hear other people criticize their Intrepid because, all things considered, their Intrepid has been everything they wanted it to be and find it hard to understand why others can't see and/or appreciate that. As I've said time and time again, I love my car because it is powerful, handles well on curves, is better looking than most, and has the roominess I want.

I really couldn't care less that there are cars with higher low-end torque or whatever. I beat cars at stop lights all the time, be it a Civic, Grand Prix, or even the occasional Camaro. In many cases, it depends on how the driver drives their car. The Intrepid is less of a target for the police, which probably has something to do with it also. I don't care what engine is in it or how much torque it has; if it's ugly (aka almost any GM car), I won't drive it.

My next car will probably be a 300M.

[ September 23, 2001: Message edited by: 00ChryslerIntrepid ]

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hey, listen...dont' get me wrong! I like my Intrepid RT alot. Yes...I would have expected more than what it is however, c'est la vie!
You gotta take the Intrepid, regardless of model, at face value. It is a good car, not a great car. It won't become a classic. If you want a fine car, be prepared to spend the bucks. The Intrepid line is not an expensive car line nor does it particulary gear itself to any one specific achievement.
There was a day, once, back in the late 60's, early 70's when RT meant something. Car shoppers are not stupid and the 'RT' is not a 'blow your doors off' car. It is simply an appearance pkg. for us family men (especially) to have a full-size sedan with a bit of pizzaz.
All I'm saying is that this car is not the end all to be all. It is a car...plain and simple. A big car..yes. Trunk space...yes...value for dollar...yes, quick, not fast...yes, comfortable, yes, could it be better, yes...quicker off the start..yes, better sound...yes, better tranny...yes.
I did not buy the RT for or because of great write-ups. Hell, I have been around long enough to know what I want. I know I wouldn't touch Ford, but there are those who do...I wouldn't consider the Impala...but there are those that do.
I know Acura makes a fine car, had an 89 Integra. The 3.2l would have been nice..its fast, stereo sounds fine, made well but that class of vehicle was not on my menu.
DC had early success with the LH line..now it is time to move on to bigger and better things and see what other companies are doing. Cannot rest on their laurels because they ARE fading fast!

Danny
Capitalcity RT

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I don't think Chrysler is resting on their laurels. In fact, what you would determine to be "resting on their laurels" is simply another name for what all car companies do at varying times; run a particular model out for a few years. If they shove a new model out the door every 2 or 3 years, they get kudos for being cutting-edge, but lose points in terms of resale value. When Chrysler got the CATIA design system, they could design and produce a new car in a fraction of the time, and they showed us all how quick they can be.

The fact that the Intrepid and other LH cars are not the "be all end all" of automobiles is really irrelevant because what really matters is value. Fanaticism exists in many forms. Showing pride in one's car is not as much fanaticism as much as it is the belief that it was money well-spent. The Intrepid, even the first generation ones, offered a lot of car for relatively little money. That alone makes them somewhat unique.

I wasn't around in the 60's and 70's, but if I'm not mistaken, making cars was a far different business than it is today. Concerns about fuel economy, safety, reliability, and roominess took a back seat to performance (at least in American cars anyway). The gas crisis and economic atmosphere brought about a slew of cars not designed for performance but for practicality. The Intrepid is very practical but shows some sense of heritage. Every car must balance practicality with performance, and the degree to which the manufacturer goes one way or the other is, of course, determined by the demographic for which the car is intended.

Is the Intrepid right for everybody? No. I don't know of a car that is. Is it sportier than a Camry? Yes. Does every car fall under the "it's a good car, not a great car" philosophy? No, but once again, value becomes the key issue. Are there people who love just about any kind of car? Absolutely. Did Intrepid owners make a mistake? No. Does the Intrepid try to be equal parts performance and practicality? Yes. Does it succeed in doing this? I certainly think so.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hey, it IS a good car. I do prefer it over the Camry and I would never think of buying a Camry, but many people do!
What irks me is that I, and others, pay a premium to buy an RT. One of its features is a cd 120 watt stereo and so on. Of all the Rts I saw when acquiring mine and not many for sure, all had a $580.00(?) upgrade, 240 watt 4cd changer.
Man, look at all the upgrades and postings on this site re upgrading speakers, decks and so forth. Forget about the subwoofers. To have to turn the wee-little bass lever down to zero to prevent the speakers from going bomp, boo boo, bomp everytime the bass kicks in, is ridiculous!
My wife has a 2000 Sunfire GT with the 1SB pkg. which includes an 8 speaker 200 watt Monsoon stereo/cassette/CD. Man, go to your local Pontiac dealer and listen for yourself. Puts my $580.00 option radio to sh*ts. And this is on a $23,000 CDN car? That yes, is small, so is the price, but torquey and fully equipped.
All I'm saying is that I am happy with my Intrepid RT. Others, who are out shopping, will take these things into consideration. The editors are really not lying, although we don't like to read what they are saying, but potential buyers will and do!
Would I recommend the Intrepid to friends and fanmily?...Sure will, whole heartedly.
But if they are looking for great sound or fast off the starts, I may have to tell them to go elsewhere.
I am Not particularly happy with the stereo however I am pleased with the higher end torque. I am not racing ricers or anyone else. Since the car is leased, I am not investing in mods. I would like to upgrade the speakers, especially the rear, but it is not a priority. Actually, for the money I spent, I shouldn't have to.
Anyhow, let us help Ottowrkr keep his job. I'm only 1 person, changing cars every 3 years. Maybe the 2004 LX models will satisfy the cravings of all the current participants of this site and maybe the tranny will change, the low end torque improve, the sound improve and when the damn thing says 242 HP, it IS 242 HP.

My 2 cents Canadian!! Still love the car. Buy one, everyone!!

Danny
Capitalcity RT

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Why would your next car be a 300M over an Intrepid. They are pretty much the "same" car. I guess if you want some of the more luxury features maybe.

I do not see myself ever selling my R/T... unless I stay single for the rest of my life. :) In fact one of the reasons why I bought a 4dr car was for the future, if i ever get married, have a kid. This would eventually be the wife's car to drive around the baby when I reach mid-life crisis and I need a "toy car". Hehehehe

My next car? Im actually looking at that PT Cruiser convertable. That looks ****ing nice. 2 door - 19" wheels. Is DC ever going to put this into production? I hope so. I also hope they put in a nice turbo engine that can do at least 200hp. If they do, put me on the list for one. I may not have cash then, but f-it thats what credit is for. :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
I agree with you CapitalCity RT,
my first car was a 70 Challanger R/T (my dads) and that was a real R/T. I dont even read the reviews, i just buy what i like (and what i build) I bought the Intrepid solely on looks and price. I got an ES because the R/T was not out yet. I will get an 02 R/T because i want the chrome wheels and R/T Badging. not to race it. I love mine too, and that is ALL that matters to me
:D

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Yes, DjPill, I realize they are pretty much the same car, but I love the interior on the 300M. I dunno... I say my next car will probably be a 300M, but what may actually happen is not necessarily the same. I may get an Intrepid R/T instead. That's at least a year down the line, though, so nothing is set in stone. :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
I posted about the Impala, Taurus, vs. Intrepid 2 weeks ago. Now you finally speak up.

Come on the bottom line is the tranny. That's WHY the Intrepid didn't win that Motor Trend American shootout. Even a 1/2 a second advantage would have given the nod to the trep. Ok a reviewer can say "average fuel ecomony" "poor off the line performance" but what does that REALLY mean, it's the tranny, the dyno results prove that. I'm always pushing harder then I think I should to keep up with traffic which translates into poorer fuel ecomony. I too can take people off the line & we all know a Intrepid ES or RT over 90mph is very hard to beat (gee you wonder why the cops want them)but this doesn't sell cars. You've got to admit the sounds systems are poor. A cheap sound system upgrade will do you better then handing over $550 over to Daimler/Chrysler for a so called "upgrade". Your better off NOT getting a sound system (if you could) & adding your own for LESS & it'll sound better.

I'd be sad to see a 2004 Intrepid with a 5.7l Hemi that puts out over 300HP hooked up to a 4 speed Auto that only puts 220HP to the wheels!

Don't come crying a few years after 2004 WHY the Intrepid was cancelled because it didn't sell. They'll make it on looks for awhile with the 3rd gen, they have for 2 generations now but this won't last forever & we all have know what the faults are of these cars were for YEARS & still aren't being resolved.

I've never have fond a means to e-mail Chrysler, anyone have a contact?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
the plan is to put a 4.7 HEMI in with a 5 speed auto or a 5 speed manual. both of these trannies would minimize power loss. you'd be looking at closer to 285hp at the wheels. any 4 speed auto, especially the current one, would rip itself to shreds trying to sort out almost 300lb-ft of torque. the 5th gear is necessary just for self-preservation, not for performance.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I gotta question...
First of all, do all cars' HP ratings vary from what the manufacturer says until the power gets to the road or is this a DC problem? Is our 'lower'ratings, percentage-wise, more critical than others?
Secondly, pardon my ignorance, I am not an engine buff, but our 3.5L are SOHC. Is it not feasible to have put a DOHC or over a certain displacement it is not worthy, practical or whatever? Just wanna know!!!

Danny
Capitalcity RT

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
H.P numbers that manufactures state are usually just at the flywheel. So you have power loss at the trans that makes the number lower. So the figure that all companies claim are just H.P ratings of the engines not H.P at the rear wheels. In the 60's and 70's H.P was rated at what was called gross rating . Companies would run a motor on premium fuel no alternator or P/Steering pump ,A/C compressor ,they would play with engine timing all to get the most H.P out of an engine . Then when it was put in a car the figure was way off. They say a 350-400 H.P car in the 60's with the old number rating is about 250-300 H.P in today's numbers.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Wow, the 'trep appears to win everything that counts except the performance times and finishes 3rd. It didn't appear they cared as much for the Taurus so of course MT picks it first.

I get MT for my son and he's had enough of it as well.

I mean, while they actually pick a decent car for car of the year once in a while; I've never given them too much credence since the 70's when they picked :

Chvey Vega
Chevy Citation (GM X-cars)
Renault Alliance
etc.etc.etc

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

What is a shame is the fact that Capital RT is correct, the Intrepid engines have more punch than the tranny allows. I'm not in any hurry to drag from a stoplight. I will say I do most of my playing in the esses / handling. Especially at speed, that's what they do the best. And where I almost always win. I've been doing that with our 93 Eagle Vision and both of my previous 'treps. In fact, I always found (no autostick) that taking it out of o/d gives alot more response and power. I must also say that my wife's 93 Vision tranny was/is still so much more responsive than any of my 3 Intrepids.
Including the RT.

2001 R/T Motorsport (Silver)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
every car loses power thru the tranny. but it would be hard to imagine a line of cars that for almost 10 years has lost nearly 30% loss thru said tranny.

also, pardon my previous post, the 5.7 IS the HEMI engine. i was mistaken.

·
Registered
558 Posts
You gotta take all these editors' remarks with a grain of salt. Whether it's cars, computers, printers all things hi-tech and many other products. How do you know that the person writing the article doesn't own a handful of shares in the company they are commenting upon? How do we know, or not know, that this writer doesn't possess 2000 shares of Ford stock and wants to earn a bit extra money? Think about it! Read some of the mags that praise every single Dell computer made for performance, service and whatever. Guaranteed, the opinions are traction controlled by personal greed for financial gain. That is why I take these reports with a grain of salt! Unfortunately, not everybody is as smart as I am!!! :rolleyes: :D ;)

Danny
Capitalcity RT

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
CapitalCity RT- you are so right. If these guys say anything bad about a car the next time the manufacture has some big car introduction in some posh location with free food and booze they will not get invited.I never listen to what these so called experts say. If you want true info on a certain car ask a guy who ownes one and had to pay his own money for it.Then you will get the real story.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts