DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have a 2002 Intrepid and was wondering what the mounting depth is for the speakers in the front door. The speakers I'm looking at are a little deep at 3.8" so I wanted to double check they will fit without having to make speaker rings already. I appreciate any help.

Edit: For anyone interested here is a link to the speakers:
http://www.audiosavings.com/product...-6.5-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS-XXX-6.5C/XXX6.5C.aspx

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Only way to tell will be to go out and measure. Just unscrew the speaker and stick a ruler in there. I'm not sure if it makes a difference between which type of LH door panel, so I'd just measure it yourself and you know you're good to go.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I was hoping someone knew what it was offhand. As it turns out, our stock speakers have a mounting depth of about 2", plus about 1/2" or so of clearance, so I guess it's time for me to break out my router and learn how to fiberglass.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Yeah, I was hoping someone knew what it was offhand. As it turns out, our stock speakers have a mounting depth of about 2", plus about 1/2" or so of clearance, so I guess it's time for me to break out my router and learn how to fiberglass.
Yeah, if you're determined to use those speakers then fabrication is your only choice.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am. I have no problem with fabrication, I just wasn't expecting to do any this early in the build. Plus I am completely inexperienced. Now I need to decide what I want to do to fill in the blank space that will be visible with the stock speaker grill gone.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
I am. I have no problem with fabrication, I just wasn't expecting to do any this early in the build. Plus I am completely inexperienced. Now I need to decide what I want to do to fill in the blank space that will be visible with the stock speaker grill gone.
I haven't gotten to do glassing yet, but I've got my supplies downstairs for my first project. I'm still reading and learning on fiberglassforums.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, There are a few very nice guides on SMD:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/forum/15-fabrication-fiberglass-etc/

That is their fabrication subsection. I think I have an idea but now I need to decide what color and texture to go with. I'm thinking I may make it then use bedliner on the insert which will be the figerglass. I've never been a fan of the high gloss, so we will see.

Edit: I think I'm going to do 3 layers of MDF, 1st will be a thin ring as a riser, 2nd a larger flat piece to cover everything, the a thicker ring which will be where I mount my speakers. Then I'll stretch the fabric then fiberglass over it. Obviously the process will be more refined but that is the general idea. This way I can take the whole pod out of the door to reinstall factory if I ever have need/desire too.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I think I'm going to do 3 layers of MDF, 1st will be a thin ring as a riser, 2nd a larger flat piece to cover everything, the a thicker ring which will be where I mount my speakers. Then I'll stretch the fabric then fiberglass over it. Obviously the process will be more refined but that is the general idea. This way I can take the whole pod out of the door to reinstall factory if I ever have need/desire too.
Let us know when you get pics of this..sounds interesting!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.