DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are looking at moving to Mississippi or Florida and was wondering if we got a hitch for the intrepid to haul a small uhaul trailor, if there would be any problems with this, or is there a way to beef up the back for a trip like that?? Thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
From my 2000 Owner's Manual:
VEHICLE LOADING
The load carrying capacity of your vehicle is shown in the following sample chart and on the tire pressure label attached to the driver's door.
Vehicle Loading Capacities
Front Seat Occupants 2 or 3
Rear Seat Occupants 3
Luggage 115 lbs. (52 kg)
Rated Vehicle Capacity 1015 lbs. (460 kg)

TRAILER TOWING
Warranty Requirements
The Manufacturer's Passenger Vehicle Warranty will apply to vehicles used to tow trailers for non commercial use. However the following conditions must be met:
• The maximum frontal area of the trailer cannot exceed 32 square feet (2.97) square meters)
• The maximum trailer load for 2.7L engines is: 1,500 lbs (680 kg)
• The maximum speed for trailer towing with a 2.7L engine in temperatures above 95°F (35°C) is 65mph (105 k/mh).
• The maximum trailer load for 3.2L engines is: 2,000 lbs (907 kg)

• The "D" range can be selected when towing. However if frequent shifting occurs while in this range, the “3” range MUST be selected.
NOTE: Using the "3" range while operating the vehicle under heavy operating conditions will improve performance and extend transaxle life by reducing excessive shifting and heat build up.
• The trailer tongue load must be considered as part of the tow vehicle load capacity when loading the vehicle.
• If the trailer weighs more than 1,000 lbs. (454 kg) it should have its own brakes.
WARNING!
Connecting trailer brakes to your vehicle's hydraulic brake lines can overload your brake system and cause it to fail. You might not have brakes when need them and could have an accident.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sweet. we are thinking just a small one for like cloths and tvs and computer of course.
The rest will wait till we are settled and can come back with a uhaul.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It shouln't be a problem with a small trailer. Do you have that thing that attaches to the rear of the car to pull the trailer?

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
LT.Almond said:
sweet. we are thinking just a small one for like cloths and tvs and computer of course.
The rest will wait till we are settled and can come back with a uhaul.
If you get a good trailer hitch (and considering the length of your trip, I would) you'll probably have to buy one.

It may be it's a little early to be asking but what are you gonna' do with it when you're done? I might know of a good home for it ... ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
D76G12 said:
A second one ...?!?

The factory one goes through the radiator?
The 94 New Yorker I bought a while back has 185k on it,it has an additional trans cooler and has driven coast to coast sometimes pulling a trailer,still has the original tranny.

My last hotrod I had two coolers on it but then it had the mopar J converter in it and 3800 stall on the street builds heat or would have without the extra cooling.

remember,overkill is under rated ;)

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
wo23dodge said:
The factory one goes through the radiator?
The 94 New Yorker I bought a while back has 185k on it,it has an additional trans cooler and has driven coast to coast sometimes pulling a trailer,still has the original tranny.

My last hotrod I had two coolers on it but then it had the mopar J converter in it and 3800 stall on the street builds heat or would have without the extra cooling.

remember,overkill is under rated ;)
My R/T lines go through the rad and an external cooler in front of the rad - stock. I guess I can't say 100% but I'm pretty sure the SE has the same set-up ...

·
Registered
202 Posts
D76G12 said:
My R/T lines go through the rad and an external cooler in front of the rad - stock. I guess I can't say 100% but I'm pretty sure the SE has the same set-up ...
You win,I didn't know they had an external already,I know my 94 didn't and don't think my concorde does but I will be tearing that down soon.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I wouldnt imagine you would have any trouble. I pulled a 94 Mercury Sable from the Poconos to Boston when I had my 97 3.3 with no issue's.

Good Luck!

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
wo23dodge said:
You win,I didn't know they had an external already,I know my 94 didn't and don't think my concorde does but I will be tearing that down soon.
Our '96 Concorde 3.3L doesn't have the external cooler. I couldn't tell which gen you drive - man, without a sig you need to add your car to your profile page or somethin' ... ;)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I havent looked at buying a hitch yet, but if I dont need it after we move then I will keep you in mind. If we go to Florida then I will have the Ocean for some jet skiing, so maybe I will need it still. :)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Someone on this site had an "invisible" hitch installed on their trep. with pics, I think...
Try searching that...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts