DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Napster is junk for MP3's since they were basically shut down. So I went to Imesh to download MP3's and they still had a full selection, but I went on yesterday and a note came up saying they are also removing all copyrighted music. My question is: are all MP3 trading communities going to have to do this? If not, are there any good ones still out there that are not resticting music downloads?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Of course they're all gonna have to do this, unless they want to take their chances incourt, which wouln't be good anyways!

The only one I see that may not have this problem is Aimster, because their network is encrypted, and the only way record companies would see what was actually being traded would be to circumvent this encryption, causing them to be in violation of the DMCA!

The only problem (or not) with Aimster, is that you can only trade wit others on your AIM buddylist that have Aimster installed.

However, they are having a little trouble right now with AOL suing them over the name "Aimster", which they are saying is a tradmark or something :confused:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excuse me for being not so computer orientated but what is "AIM buddylist" and does Gnutella allow you to download any and all songs like a trading community? You said Gnutella may not be affected by the copyright thing? :confused:

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
AIM is AOL Instant Messanger.

Gnutella is in a way similar to Napster, except that there are no centralized servers.

[ June 20, 2001: Message edited by: Intrepid98 ]

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I happen to like Audiogalaxy Sattelite... but last time I was using it last week, it was really slow.

Ill probably try again tonite.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but the novelty of downloading all my music wore off a long time ago (well before Napster started filtering).

I would still like to be able to download a song everynow and then, but in most cases, I would rather just buy the CD.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Yeah, I remember when I first got my cable modem, I was downloading whole albums...I can't even think of the last time I downloaded a song. But if I hear something I like, I'll look for it....otherwise, I already have about 1000 songs on my hard drive. When I started downloading Christina Aguilera, I knew I was downloading crap I'd never listen to. :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry but i've aquired a CD burner for the first time and I don't like buying CD's with 1 good song plus I like CD's with variety, and sometimes I just have too much time on my hands. That's why I spend a lot of time here. :D

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
i remember my first CD-Burner.

2x2x8 internal IDE

$650

And it rarely ever worked!

But I loved it! All my friends would pay me to make them CD's :)

BTW...now 4 burners later, I'm very happy with my Plextor 16/10/32. Never burned a coaster yet!

And don't forget about the blank CD prices back then, too!

[ June 20, 2001: Message edited by: Intrepid98 ]

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ive been using Winmx and have been having pretty good results..

Plus it does searches for video files as well, a great source for acchived simpson and family guy episodes. :D

·
Registered
587 Posts
There is a new program out that sits on top (not literally) of Gnutella called bear share.......I think you can find it at www.bearshare.com It makes Gnutella work so much better. Never tried it, but my friend loves it. As for me, I like Morpheus, available at www.download.com It is peer to peer like Gnutella, so there are no centralized servers for the government to shut down, and it would be hard to find an actual company or person to sue. But Morpheus is great for movies, videos, mp3's, pictures, files, etc.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Voodoo, did you record those yourself? Listening to KoRN, Freak on a Leash and it's probably the best sounding out of my 200 mp3's. Most of the one's I got off napster sound like crap!

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Someone just told me about www.Kazaa.com pretty cool, no banned music, you can find anything (including the kings of anti-mp3's...Metallica). I dig it. But since I don't download much music anymore, it doesn't do me much good. :) You can find videos on the site too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts