DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys !!

I'm getting an average of 20 MPG with my 3.3L. Is it normal or there's a problem with my car ?

BTW, I'm doing more city than Highway.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK. Thanks guys ! If I put some Octane booster, will I get a better mileage or it's not worth it ?

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
well the cheapest octane booster i could find was $3.50 a bottle all the way up to $11.50 a bottle.
so thats at least another $3.50 ah fill up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
im getting 22-23 combo driving. all highway i get25-26
HOW do you get that good mpg with a 1995 and I have 2002 and my readout shows only 16.1 mpg!! I do almost all suburb driving which is similar to city.

My 2002 Intrepid ES must be a 3.3L too, right?

What is an octane booster and will that really help? I kind of doubt it or we would've heard about it by now.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HOW do you get that good mpg with a 1995 and I have 2002 and my readout shows only 16.1 mpg!! I do almost all suburb driving which is similar to city.

What is an octane booster and will that really help? I kind of doubt it or we would've heard about it by now.
I Think it should be a 3.2L, not a 3.3L.

·
Banned
1,225 Posts

when i bought the car i was lucky to get 17mpg in mix driving. since ive bought the car ive done a full tune up and a cia. make sure my tires are always pressured at 35psi. with that said it brought up my mpg rating. your 2002 either has a 2.7, 3.2, or a 3.5. the 3.3 was only available in the 1st gens

·
Registered
133 Posts
when i bought the car i was lucky to get 17mpg in mix driving. since ive bought the car ive done a full tune up and a cia. make sure my tires are always pressured at 35psi. with that said it brought up my mpg rating. your 2002 either has a 2.7, 3.2, or a 3.5. the 3.3 was only available in the 1st gens
My Intrepid ES has 3.5L engine as cars.com below states. Shouldn't that get me better gas mileage?

2002 Dodge Intrepid Standard Equipment and Specs

What did you do for a full tune up and what is a cia?

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
My Intrepid ES has 3.5L engine as cars.com below states. Shouldn't that get me better gas mileage?

2002 Dodge Intrepid Standard Equipment and Specs

What did you do for a full tune up and what is a cia?
you need to remember after a couple years most cars start to loose performance. as they loose performance you also start to see the mpg go down. it takes alot of work to get back up to oem standards.

as far as a full tune up. change your oil and make sure its done every 3k. new plugs new wires and coils. fuel injection cleanings. new air filter. checking and cleaning all your emission controlls and valves. thats a short list of a basic tune up.

cia is short for cold air intake.

·
Registered
14 Posts
the highest mpg i have with my 3.3l was 26 mpg. I calculated it all, conservatively too (left off a couple of miles after forgetting to reset the odometer)

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Does a larger engine size give you better gas mileage? So would my 3.5L V6 Intrepid get better mileage than a 3.3L V6 Intrepid?
no that is not true. theres is so many things that make a difference in gas milage. your driving habbits, the way the engine is running, the weight of the car ect....

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Mixed or city driving is not a good measure of mileage when trying to compare.
Good and bad habits will change those numbers drastically. Even your city compared to the next guys city. For ex. My town has synchronized lighting. Good for city mileage. Some towns have alot of roads that have let you drive fast enough legally to be in 4rth gear with the convertor locked up. That's 70 km/hr and most every road in my town you are forced to drive under that, not good. Hilly areas are also bad for mileage.

you need to remember after a couple years most cars start to loose performance. as they loose performance you also start to see the mpg go down. it takes alot of work to get back up to oem standards.
That's a great theory and hardly debateable mysteryemotionz but not usually the case.
Assuming everything is in working order. Like it's firing on all 6. Sensors are all communicating with the computer. Convertor is not plugged.

A car will run it's like new numbers in a drag test within 1 or 2 tenths. I tried mine in 1999 and again 5 years later is it was actually 2 tenths quicker.
I've recorded every tank of fuel I've ever bought for this car and like I said above. My mixed mileage varies but any straight highway drive will still return 28-30 mpg, just like it did 10 years ago.

·
Registered
26 Posts
BEST gas savings I can think of, - BUY a TANK now, Bury it in the back yard - and fill that BIAAAATCH up with $1.50 gas while it lasts... CUZ $4 dollar gas will be back. ALso Invest in OIL now!!! Ig it goes down a lttle more oh well.

But I must say I like the FUELLY web site :)

Thanks

Ken

1 - 20 of 27 Posts