DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
MSD's were designed for use with distributor ignition. With ours having coil per plug design (I like to call them coil-over's even though that name is typically used for suspension) I don't see how you are going to get an MSD box to work. The ignition is totally electronic, relying on the cam and crank position sensors mainly to determine spark and fuel delivery. Unless MSD offers some kind of adapter or conversion or something, I don't see it as a viable option, unless you do a complete add-on ignition system, not using the stock stuff.

·
Registered
476 Posts
TCPMeta said:
I want to install a MSD into my trep. I was looking at the 6A Ingition box on the MSD site. hat else would I need?
ACR i believe has an MSD system. you might want to check with him. although, he has a 1st gen 3.5

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I remember when I first started to frequent this site, there was some talk about the MSD setup for the newer mustangs as they also use the individual coil system. I don't think anybody ever did anythign with it though, and I really don't see much point. I think their won't be much difference with a stock engine.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
That still won't work. We don't have a plain old distributorless ignition with just a few coil packs. You need a system that has coil pack for each cylinder that can be controlled by the PCM. These are really the only ones that have any chance of working with our cars.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to AutoZone and three of the sales clerks told me the DIS-4, PN 62152 will work. But I would have to use two boxes since it is made to power 3 to 4 coil packs. I even went to the MSD forums and they agreed that I would need two boxes. Still this proves a MSD can work yet it ould be costly as hell and could cause installing problems since the engine bay is compacted.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
JoeKD said:
Turbo had a MSD on his back in 2003, here's some info on it http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15512
Thanks Joe, that's what I was talking about but I couldn't remember who had talked about it. I should have known it was Rob! Did he actually ever get it though? The thread sounds like he was just looking at it.

Beins someone who would know, how much different are the setups on the stangs and the treps?

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
My stang and the intrepid are pretty much the same thing, COP technology with individual packs for each cylinder. The 97-98 4.6 Mustang GTs had the older setup with one pack for each 4 cylinders so you would onl want to compare to 99-2004 GTs

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
JoeKD said:
My stang and the intrepid are pretty much the same thing, COP technology with individual packs for each cylinder. The 97-98 4.6 Mustang GTs had the older setup with one pack for each 4 cylinders so you would onl want to compare to 99-2004 GTs
I thought they were setup like that. My friend's step dad has a 96 Cobra 4.6 but it doesn't have the COP, whereas my friends 02 GT does so I figured they changed it in 99 with the body style. Is it just a 2-wire connection like the treps?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
TCPMeta said:
I went to AutoZone and three of the sales clerks told me the DIS-4, PN 62152 will work. But I would have to use two boxes since it is made to power 3 to 4 coil packs. I even went to the MSD forums and they agreed that I would need two boxes. Still this proves a MSD can work yet it ould be costly as hell and could cause installing problems since the engine bay is compacted.
Yeah, I'd trust Autozone for great advise. I went to my local Autozone looking for a replacement plug for a CTS and he told me to try Radio Shack. What a fooking stoopid ass!

Anybody try Jacobs electronics to see if they offer anything? I had a Jacobs set-up on my last truck that plugged in series with the stock set up. But that was on a distributor ignition.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Seems you made up your mind anyways.

Ago ahead and spend the cash, post your results.

Worthwhile investment or waste of money.

Cheers

BJ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts