DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jsut installed some alpine component speakers in the fronts and alpine 6x9's in the back running to my clarion pro audio head unit. I haven't really been happy with the output of the head unit, so i am going to externally amp the speakers. I would also like to add some clean bass to my system, it doesn't have to be trunk rattling loud, but just clean and noticable. The amp i am looking at is

Hifonics ZXi 6406
4-Channel 680-Watt A/B-Class Zeus Amplifier

RMS Power Range : 85-340 Watts
Number Of Channels: 4
Maximum Power: 680 Watts
Built In Crossovers: Yes
Channel Separation: Yes

RMS @ 4-Ohms: 4 x 85-Watts
RMS @ 2-Ohms: 4 x 170-Watts
RMS @ 4-Ohms: 2 x 340-Watts
Crossover and Switching:
Variable 12dB Octave Hi-Pass
Variable 24dB Octave Low-Pass
±18dB Bass Boost at 45Hz
Inputs and Diagnostics:
Variable Input Level Control
Power and Diagnostics LEDs
DC Short Circuit Protection
Over-Load Protection
Connector Types:
Unbalanced Inputs (RCA’s)
Full-Range Line Outputs (RCA’s)
Molded 4-Gauge Power Inputs
Molded 10-Gauge Speaker Outputs

i was wondering whether it would work and be beneficial to wire the front speakers in parallel and the back speakers in parallel and run the on 2 of the channels, then bridge the other 2 channels and run a sub off of it. I am new to audio, so i dont exactly know how amps work. Would this give me the clean bass and clear highs that i want, or would 2 amps be better for this application. Any input would be appreciated

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Ummmmm, so you DON'T want stereo seperation? Don't do it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that isn't what you would recommend, what would you recommend?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Either 2 amps.......or just run your speakers off of the HU and use the amp for subs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There is a very easy way to do this.....

Run all 4 "high" speakers off two channels of the amp in stereo, then run the sub(s) in mono off the other 2 channels of the amp. You will not have front to rear fade control, but that will yield a very nice sounding system. I dont reccommend running the subs off an amp and the highs off of head unit power, if your not happy with them right now running off the deck you WONT be happey with them when you run a sub! Keep this in mind, home stereos have as much power running the highs as they do the woofers, car audio is not that different. Nothing sounds crappier than a bunch of BOOM BOOM from the trunk with highs that are distorted, clipped and sounding like chicken fryin in the grill!!!!

Simply hook up front left and rear left speakers in Parrellel to one channel, and the front right and rear right to the other channel. When you parrellel them, that simply means hook up both Positive wires together and both Negative wires together. As far as running that amp in mono, I am not sure which would work best for you, depends on the subs....either get ONE 4 ohm woofer or 2 8 ohm woofers, or 2 Dual voice coil subs with 4 ohm coils. there are a few other ways to do it, but trying to keep it simple here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help, Viking

I was wondering if you thought this amp would have enough to power one Alpine SWR-1222D dual voice coil 2 ohm subwoofer, i saw how to wire it to produce a 4-ohm load. Is there something else that might sound better for approximately the same price, 150$

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
it should be enough, it's not like you're not gonna be able to hear it unless you have 234143 watts going to it. But you will definitely have room to improve if you go to a dedicated bigger sub amp later on down the road. You won't have to worry much about frying coils either, just don't crank the fawk out of your amp tryin to get more bass.

Are you gonna be doing a box on your own or what? If you want any ideas or a box made for you check out the TCAB section of the realm of excursion forums. Mark Potts runs TCAB (caraudiobox.com) and I can tell you that he does some very very nice box work, especially with Type R's. It's been his sub of choice for about a year and I've seen him do amazing daily drivers that hit big numbers with type r's.

·
Registered
105 Posts
inwotep said:
thanks for the help, Viking

I was wondering if you thought this amp would have enough to power one Alpine SWR-1222D dual voice coil 2 ohm subwoofer, i saw how to wire it to produce a 4-ohm load. Is there something else that might sound better for approximately the same price, 150$

Like Johnyko says, that should be a good speaker.

Also like he says, look to have a enclosure that will get the most out of it. You want the woofer to perform to its max with the available power it has. Probably a ported box would be best, if done right! If you are unsure about this kind of stuff, just build or have built a sealed enclosure, its about the safest way to go.

Just follow manufacturesrs suggestions and you will do OK.

i could get into a big "write up" on enclosure design, but not here! LOL!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They give "optimal" dimensions for making a vented box on the spec sheets for the sub, but i dont get some of the measurements, like what they correspond to

External Box dimensions - 18"x13.5"x16.5"
Gross Internal Volume - 1.7 ft cubed
Vent Area (dimensions)- 15 in squared (12"x1.25")
Vent Length - 22.75"
Vent Displacement - 0.305 ft cubed
Net Internal Volume - 1.3 ft cubed
Mounting Diameter - 10.9"

I dont understand the vent length measurement, if someone could either explain this or draw out the plans for me it would help alot, Thanks in advance

1 - 10 of 10 Posts