DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my '99 out of the shop a few days ago. For those not familiar here's what happend. Back in February I started hearing a ticking noise coming from under the hood. Took it to the dealership where I bought it new in '99 and they told me it was the lifters sticking. I was told "if the noise doesn't bother you, it won't hurt the car". Well three weeks later when a cam sensor went I told them to do the lifters as well. By this time the noise was getting louder. They called me at home and told me it wasn't the lifters, but it had thrown a crankshaft bearing. They wanted $7100 to put in a rebuilt motor. I elected to have a buddy pull the motor and rebuild it. He also replaced:

cranskhaft, crank bearings, water pump, timing chain, chain guides?, tensioner, rings, plugs, oxygen sensor, cam sensor, all new gaskets and seals.

He noticed a large amount of carbon build-up on the pistons, and my injectors were plugged. Explains why it was sucking the fuel back.

So far it has been driving just great, nice acceleration and very smooth shifting. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I won;t mention the final price, but with all the new parts put in I should be good to go for a long while. He makes the following recommendations:

use 5W30 oil in the summer, 0W30 in the winter. He put Kendall racing oil and filters in it and suggested oil changes every 3000 kms. If it works I'll do it.

So if you are told the ticking noise you are hearing is "sticking lifters", get it checked out. Above all don't take your dealerships word for it. Chrysler has a problem with the 2.7L motors but won't admit to it. Even the mechanic at the dealership told me he did 3 swaps himself.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Glad that everything worked out great for you. Hopefully your story can help out anyone else with a similar problem.

·
Premium Member
16,763 Posts
You might as well put on the PCV hose with heat exchanger (P/N 04663792AH) that DC put on the later year LH's. Just yesterday I retrofitted my '99 2.7 with 140k miles on it. Keeps junk from condensing out in the PCV hose and totally clogging that up.

I'm sure it's not the whole solution to the 2.7 sludge, but I'm convinced it's part of the solution. What's another $25, eh?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts