DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my car was fixed, my check engine light came on. I did the code check process (by flipping the key on-off-on-off-on) and got a code 12. I looked it up and it is the code for "battery has been disconnected recently."

It didn't come on this morning. This makes me think about why Chrysler would put such a useless code into their computer..

For people that don't know how to check the code when their check engine light comes on, they freak out and take it to the dealership, thinking something is horribly wrong. Then the guys at the dealership will just say "it says your battery has been disconnected recently, that'll be $50."

What further proves my point is that 2003 and newer Chrysler cars now require your car to be hooked up to a computer to diagnose the check engine light. That means if you want to find out what that light is telling you, you HAVE to pay someone to hook it up to a diagnostic computer. For most people, that would be the dealer.

·
Registered
576 Posts
there are trouble codes that illuminate the CEL and that is not one of them.

It is a code that exists in the computer, but like i said doesnt light the check engine light. Otherwise every car would leave the dealership with the light on

·
9,861 Posts
Yeah, that wont throw a CEL.

Besides, even haynes says what the codes mean and how to check them.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Speaking of which, the CEL in our '99 Voyager came on last week, reset it, and came back on again yesterday. Stupid thing is persistant. Anyone know what a P0401 is? (Something to do with the EGR). I read the code somewhere, but:
1) I forget what it said
2) at the time it made no sense, and I would like more information

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey man, all i know is that i did the thing with the ignition (on-off-on-off-on) and it flashed a pretty distinct 12. I went to allpar.com and looked it up and "Battery was disconnected recently" was the code listed under 12. btw, it hasn't come back on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts