DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from CA!

New here... read the rules and introduced myself in the new section, hope to hang around here for awhile. Love the Intrepid. I'm a Haynes manual owner and can do basic maintenance but that's it.

I have an issue, and I did a search for this but didn't turn up anything.

I have a 98 regular Intrepid with 90K miles. The issue is an engine knock , a term I've never really used, but the garage told me about. I get the sound when I'm up to about 2,000 RPMs in idle, or on the highway when I give it some good acceleration. You know the nice purr it makes when you accelerate? Well, this is a secondary rattle sound that is trying to hide under the normal acceleration sound, but I hear it doggone it!

I saw the mechanic check the oil right in front of me and - there was no oil (but never any oil light)! I saw it was low two months ago so I put in about a quart at the next three fill-ups. Must have jostled the drain plug or something worse running over a curb or something. Lots of dips here. I check the oil about once every other month.

The garage is telling me that the engine is going to need to be replaced, whether in 100 miles or 1,000 miles - he doesn't know, but sometime it's going to fail. They're kind of vague.

I need dependability, but I'm not ready to spring for a new engine, maybe I should get a new used Intrepid. Could you fine ladies and gents make a recommendation on what I should do next? Thanks a lot.

Cagey

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Sell it to an unsuspecting dealer before it dies and get a used 3.2L/3.5L ES or R/T?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sounds like its time to trade or replace the engine. Either way you need to take better care of the car. The oil should be checked at least once every fill up which is probably what killed your current engine amoung other things. With these engines you need to let it sit on level ground for at least 15 minutes for all of the oil to stop dripping around to get an acurate oil level reading. Don't run it low, but over filling is just as bad as it will cause foaming and loss of oil pressure. With your next ride switch over to synthetic oil and check it regularly and it will last for closer to 200k with some regular maintenance.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Avenger said:
Sell it to an unsuspecting dealer before it dies and get a used 3.2L/3.5L ES or R/T?
Exactly, let the dealer deal with it and is probably the easiest way out, just don't sell it to a unsuspecting stranger!

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
xrental said:
Exactly, let the dealer deal with it and is probably the easiest way out, just don't sell it to a unsuspecting stranger!
I could see that getting ugly FAST on a private sale.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, that is some pretty serious advice. Thanks everyone.

I guess there aren't many options with what you can do with knocking. It's not very severe and I don't floor it everywhere I go, so hopefully it will last a while longer. How much longer, I have no idea. Any ideas there? Anyway, dependability is very important to me.

So I need to at least make it to Vegas and back this week! But I can't imagine going in the opposite direction and breaking down in Mexico, that would SUCK!

So next project will be figuring out how to get a good deal on my trade-in for another Intrepid. I don't deal with dealers everyday (who does?) so I have to read-up on that too.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
843 Posts
cagey said:
Wow, that is some pretty serious advice. Thanks everyone.

I guess there aren't many options with what you can do with knocking. It's not very severe and I don't floor it everywhere I go, so hopefully it will last a while longer. How much longer, I have no idea. Any ideas there? Anyway, dependability is very important to me.

So I need to at least make it to Vegas and back this week! But I can't imagine going in the opposite direction and breaking down in Mexico, that would SUCK!

So next project will be figuring out how to get a good deal on my trade-in for another Intrepid. I don't deal with dealers everyday (who does?) so I have to read-up on that too.

Thanks again.
I wouldnt take it very far, I would treat it as if it were going to blow up the next time you start it.At least make sure you got money or coverage for a tow with you.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
And thicker oil won't help..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thikcer oil won't... No kidding?!

Well, the verdict was that it probably wasn't a compression issue like I had thought. The mechanic's assessment that it was a bearings and camshaft issue. Maybe some little grooves in there now... yeah... Ouch. Sound's not that easy to notice right now, but I am pretty sensitive when things are out of place. Hopefully not too sensitive. Epilogue is that I'm looking at a 2001 SE, with 60K miles, around $6K, maybe a trade-in.

Thanks again to everyone who wrote.

·
Registered
238 Posts
At that mileage and being that its an SE it most likely has the 2.7 engine. I would recommend getting an extended warrenty and have an engine oil flush before you take delivery. Once you get it make sure you run synthetic oil and change it every 3 to 5k miles with the filter and also check your oil at least every time you fill up with gas- it might last a little longer with rountine maintenance.

·
Registered
750 Posts
hehe congrats on the 2.7 ltr :) i got a 99 2.7 and mine is doing the same thing your is though the other day i got a louder tick that scares me more. the dealer says it sounds like a lifter but they want 350 to take the valve cover off and find out. the the tick you were talking botu under acceleration mines dont that for 8 months and 6000 miles and it still seems fine. its tough cause it ticks but the engine still hauls ass and is fun to drive i would plan on a 3.5 and save up get some towing insurance or AAA and drive it till it dies . jsut dont put to much money in the engine cause i heard stories bout thousands of dollars in a 2.7 and 5 months later it dies good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2.7 '99 Intrepid, that knocks under acceleration as you've described. It's been doing this for over a year, about 15,000 miles. I noticed that with a better brand of gasoline, the knocking disappears. I have now also noticed that even with the grocery store fuel, if I switch to a higher octane rating the knocking also disappears. Have you tried using different gas?

As an aside I change the oil religiously every 3,000 miles and I only use Mobil1 10w30.

·
Registered
6 Posts
:soapbox: I got a 2000 Dodge Intrepid(2.7) with 80,000 miles on it. When I start it up in the morning the engine makes a kind of loud ticking like noise and it idles very rough but it stops when I start driving and after I drive it for a while and i let it idle in park it doesn't make it anymore. Even if I let the car warm up for 10-15 minutes it still will do it until i start driving. And sometimes it will idle at different rpm's. It usually idles at 600 but sometimes 1,000 or little above. Can someone please help!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Do not get another 2.7 (SE)! If you want to get another trep shop around for an ES or R/T or SXT...they all have relatively shitty resale value so you should be able to find on cheap. But the bigger motors are not prone to the 2.7L failures and should give you a more reliable car.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
^ Listen to him, don't trade it in on another SE......spend $1000 more and get a used ES dude.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
gonna add my two cents to this. i have a SE with 53k on it havent had one problem with the car with the exception of my 02 sensors alarming but that was bad gas. Im wondering for those of you that have had the 2.7 blow did you maintain it like you should are you beating the car to death by racing it everytime you get in. In some cases driving it like you stole it is fun but this is not a race/sports car its a sedan.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You guys are going to kill me... I drove it to Vegas! I know I shouldn't have... (quick, can I blame it on someone?!).

Interesting to hear that the 2.7 has had problems for some folks and also the other knocking story.

StefanR, I did try a higher-grade gasoline but no dice. That was a good idea though, thanks.

Code2, I didn't have a lead foot but I got it over 3K RPMS a lot getting on the highway. "Sedan," hey, sedans are sexy! I should have done more preventive maintainance, I just don't know how the oil drain plug came loose, and I don't know why the oil light never came on! So I will check oil a heckuvalot more often.

ChicagoTRS, thanks for the education on the other models. I only found the SE model at the used lots here, I got tired of looking after a few hours. I wonder if SE stands for "Special Edition" or "baSE model." I found a pretty nice '04 SE with 30K miles, silver/grey. I think I'm going to get a black Concorde now though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm having a similar ticking noise. Especially noticiable when you first press and release the gas pedal. Mechanic at the dodge dealer said it is probably a loose rocker bearing arm. They did not recommend looking into it further. I am now debating whether to get an extended powertrain warrenty. It is an intial payment of $495 and then $95 per month for 18 months. It covers the powertrain for an additional 100k miles or 5 years. Whichever comes first. Right now my 2.7l has 102k miles. With the reputation of these engines I think it may be worth it. The warrenty also covers 24/7 towing through AAA and pays for your rental car while your car is in the shop. However, my car is running perfectly fine right now, except for the ticking which is almost unhearable. I have been using mobil 1 sythetic every 5k miles for at least the last 10 oil changes. Any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts