DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes ladies and gentlemen.....One week after I installed a $500 two way pager alarm system into it. The ***** of the whole thiing was that the 2 way pager never went off and I was only about 100 feet away from my car in my office.

Sony CDA -6200 GONE!!!!!!!!
400 watt Clarion amp Gone!!!!!!!!
two twelve inch kicker comps....gone!!!!!!!!!
My three Clarion 7 inch LCD's.....GONE!!!!!!
PS2....GONE!!!!!!!!!
4x150 Alpine 6 inch and 6x9 inch speakers....GONE!!!!!

I had the AST-4500 alarm system in the thing which boasts that it will notify you up to 1/4 mile away............and I WAS 100 FEET AWAY!!!!!!!!

I called AST....and they stated that they have no guarentee and that I must have not alarmed the system.......as basically told me to piss off. **** you assholes!!!!!!!!!

$3300 Gone..............

God, I am going to get so drunk tonight!!!!!!!!

Pass the word around........

DON'T BUY AN AST ALARM!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Very ouch, very upset to hear that news. Man that sucks. ..... Where did you get the alarm installed....? I've heard of shops browsing customers's cars before.. not sure about your shop but.... hmm.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
That really really sucks...

The exact reason I refuse to add aftermarket stereo stuff to my car (though I am always tempted...but stories like this make me remember)...had it happen to me twice...the first time they left my alarm sitting on the hood of my car...the second time they just cut the negative ground on my battery. Not going to be a third time...

Install places have been known to take notes. Impossible to prove.

Insurance?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is actually a really good shop that I know a lot of the guys in there and they have been installing all of my car audio for about ten years

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
I agree with above, here in Cedar Rapids a man was just arrested who used to work at the Ultimate Electronics install shop. Apparently he would "scope out" a car while installing a system and then somehow break into them because he knew the codes or whatever and re-programed a simular transmitter or something. Its very strange, I would check into it. It sounds very strange that your car would be broken into so fast after you putting an alarm system into it.

Look at the bright side though, some friends from high school once tried to break into a teachers 1999 chrome vic and tried to jack the radio, they couldnt get it out, so they smashed every piece of glass and headlight. They also trashed the car, seats and everything...but they didnt get the radio out. :biggrin:

They were later caught BTW.

I'd watch ebay for some of your stuff. Especially if a seller turns out to be selling exactly what you are missing.

--Gorm

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ChicagoTRS said:
That really really sucks...

Install places have been known to take notes. Impossible to prove.

Insurance?
My insurance is taking care of it except for the $500 deductable which I am going after AST for. I am normally an honest hardworking guy that doesn't go after people but these guys are going to see the back of my hand!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gormo66 said:
I hate to say this but...how about some pics?

--Gorm
Coming soon......and believe me they are not pretty. They man handled my dash!!!!

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Good job [email protected] Why the F*** should you buy their product if it isn't going to work when you need it to? 100 feet away?

quarter of a mile/ how many feet is that.. what type of office do you have.. underground? high up, deep in the building where a signal can't get in? I know for damned sure that I always arm mine. No matter what.

Oh, that's also why I tinted the windows and never, ever leave anything that isn't stock in view inside the car. It's stock, and that's it, as far as any thief knows. With a missing face plate, so they dont even know if it's a quality radio. No fake leds, Just my alarm one. Not worth it for them.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here are the pics.....

My dash

My window

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
:eek: WOW.

What happend to your faceplate for the radio? Did they take that too? With the ATC controls?

--Gorm

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gormo66 said:
:eek: WOW.

What happend to your faceplate for the radio? Did they take that too? With the ATC controls?

--Gorm
No it is resting up against the shifter

·
Registered
530 Posts
Damnit! Sorry to hear this Crash.. Terrible Teribble feeling... I have never heard of AST alarms. Are they a reputable company?
Also, I would go after them also for that $500 deductable. Good luck.
If they give you a hard time tell them that you will spam every single car forum on the net about how their product failed you!

Let us know what happens.
Richie

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
crash459 said:
No it is resting up against the shifter
Hey man, I really feel for ya, and one note of advice.. clear ALL mention of what type of alarm you have..

I mean if some thief sees your car... has di.net on it.. goes on di.net and says holy sweet mother.. what nice ****.. and he's my bud's neighbor, says he works at so and so...

Ohhhh, I have a manual for an ast, I know how it hooks up etc. page ****, bring a scrambler//(name whatever bypass here.. etc)

if you'll notice my posts sig etc. I say I have a very good security system, but thats as far as it goes.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
crash459 said:
My insurance is taking care of it except for the $500 deductable which I am going after AST for. I am normally an honest hardworking guy that doesn't go after people but these guys are going to see the back of my hand!!!!!!
Good luck. You won't get them to pay jack diddly squat. No company will guarantee anything like that. I really hate to say this, especially to a guy like you, but you simply got suckered into a false sense of security with that alarm. Back in the day Alpine made an actual 1-way pager unit that claimed 1 full mile range on it. Of course there was the inevitable astericks after that which basically said no chance in hell can you get that kind of range out of it. The same applies to the new two way remotes of today. Thanks to fancy marketing and lawyer approved meticulous wording so many people are led into the same false sense of security that you have just experienced.

The bottom line here is, and this comes from multiple people I know very well who have been in this business as long as car alarms have been around and still live by it today, if you're too far away to hear your alarm siren going off, the alarm aint gonna do you a **** bit of good if someone is ballsy enough to break in and set it off. I don't care how much you spend on the alarm or how many fancy features and sensors it has, if you aren't there to stop the guy who wants in, he's gonna get in.

Sorry man. Trust me, I know how much it sucks to have your own personal space violated by some creep with no respect for another person's property. It's total BS, but the only person to blame is the person who actually broke into the car... :blush:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Car security

Crash459! Bro I'm really feeling you on this one man, so sorry that this occurred. My two -way viper responder actually help me whip the crap out of a guy once who though my alarm was just a whining device. That's what I call most alarms that just whine and people just ignore them. Yesterday I purchase my second 2-way alarm by viper with to kill switches, gps tracking, back-up batteries, and a pain generator for a high pitch ear piercing sound. Also a few more things, but that's a little secret of my. Check a few of these products out on vipers web site:

http://www.viper.com/security/viper/default.asp

1 - 20 of 92 Posts