DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a great deal or so it seemed on a 01 es 3.2 car with a blown up motor. And it was so blown up a rod was through the block and 2 other were bent. Never again will I partake in a motor swap I don't start........ but the body and interior is a 9 out of 10 so I'm sucking it up and plugging away one small issue at a time. Currently has a miss and some electrical issues with the transmission but here she is! Probably the nicest looking car I have owned in a while.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Very clean!

But a rod through the block? That's a first... Worst I've seen these engines do is snap timing belts and spin a bearing, never throwing a rod by means of failed cap bolts or wrist pins?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very clean!

But a rod through the block? That's a first... Worst I've seen these engines do is snap timing belts and spin a bearing, never throwing a rod by means of failed cap bolts or wrist pins?
I think I still have them laying around. Yes rod through the block lol. All the bearings were melted out of the rods and mains. The cradle was in pieces as was the oil pan. Who ever had it did a crazy number on it. Give me 10 min and I'll post a pic of the whole in the block. Just have to find it. Might have one of the parts pile too lol

·
Registered
738 Posts
Frig... These are forged rods, they CLEARLY ran it dry of oil and ran the piss out of it or something...

Had an SRT4 come into the shop where a guy rev'd it to the limiter of 5200RPM on start up to try his new catch can, bone cold... Didn't help they put hardened rod cap bolts on which required high torque spec's screwing with his crush clearance. Didn't get out of gear one and the cap let go, crank threw the rod through BOTH sides of the block, breaking the alternator off and when we tore the engine down, found the piston sideways... LOL

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frig... These are forged rods, they CLEARLY ran it dry of oil and ran the piss out of it or something...

Had an SRT4 come into the shop where a guy rev'd it to the limiter of 5200RPM on start up to try his new catch can, bone cold... Didn't help they put hardened rod cap bolts on which required high torque spec's screwing with his crush clearance. Didn't get out of gear one and the cap let go, crank threw the rod through BOTH sides of the block, breaking the alternator off and when we tore the engine down, found the piston sideways... LOL
Can't find the Sd card with those pics on it of the internals laying all over in pieces buti knowi have the rods still so I'll have to get some more of them and posy them up

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The run down is I got it from a buddy who got it from a guy and Idk of the guy blew it up or his female friend did? That part of the story is unclear but ya it was a mangled mess. The worse let loose I have ever seen in the many motors of all types I have taken apart. I think no oil mixed with high rim mixed with long distance all played a factor

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice to see another PEL color, sorry for the bad luck on the engine.

Plenty of information on this site though to get you running again! :p and plenty of knowledgeable people.
Kxwarrior what is pel color? And thx. Motor is up and running and now on to the trans issues which Probly played a part in it as well....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Damn. Seeing those pics sent shivers down my spine. I see some 3.2 and 3.5's blown up, but its not too common. Its always due to a rod bearing letting loose. Ive seen it quite a few times over the years, people hear the obvious rod bearing knock around 2,500 rpm and just let it go till the engine dies. It makes me sick to see how some people treat these cars. Seeing tons of 2.7 intrepids in junkyards and being mistreated doesnt really bother me, but when i see a beaten or un-maintained 3.2 or 3.5 intrepid, it strikes a nerve. People get Intrepids cheap (due to the serious depreciation in value due to the poor rep the 2.7 has) and run them into the ground. Ya'll should have seen my 2001 R/T when i got ahold of it back in january. It was older people that owned it and it was NEVER taken care of and all beat up. Disgusts me to no end, i work on it almost every day trying to get this car back to what it SHOULD look like.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn. Seeing those pics sent shivers down my spine. I see some 3.2 and 3.5's blown up, but its not too common. Its always due to a rod bearing letting loose. Ive seen it quite a few times over the years, people hear the obvious rod bearing knock around 2,500 rpm and just let it go till the engine dies. It makes me sick to see how some people treat these cars. Seeing tons of 2.7 intrepids in junkyards and being mistreated doesnt really bother me, but when i see a beaten or un-maintained 3.2 or 3.5 intrepid, it strikes a nerve. People get Intrepids cheap (due to the serious depreciation in value due to the poor rep the 2.7 has) and run them into the ground. Ya'll should have seen my 2001 R/T when i got ahold of it back in january. It was older people that owned it and it was NEVER taken care of and all beat up. Disgusts me to no end, i work on it almost every day trying to get this car back to what it SHOULD look like.
If you look close you can see the rods got so hot they discolored down by the crank end be for it came loose. So now its got a lower mileage motor in it and hopefully it gets back on the road soon. Can't wait to drive it for the first time

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you look close you can see the rods got so hot they discolored down by the crank end be for it came loose. So now its got a lower mileage motor in it and hopefully it gets back on the road soon. Can't wait to drive it for the first time
A true moron must have owned that car. Sounds to me as if they got pissed at it and deliberately tried to blow the motor and trans through the sky. Only a moron would do such a thing considering the car looks like its in pristine condition. Luckily my 01 R/T has a remanufactured trans in it, onyl got 35k on the trans. Original motor still runs like an ape about to be raped by a gang of elephants on steroids @ 185,000 miles. I had a 99 300M with the 3.5 that was still runnin on the original motor with 285,000 miles but the rods were starting to make noise.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Body is a 8.5 out a 10 only because it was rearended and messed up the bumper and put a small crease in the button of the trunk lid. And the interior is a 9 out a ten or better. The shape the body and interior is in is the only reason I'm trying to get it road worthy. I'm 26 and been through many many cars and this is by far in the best shape (cosmetically) of any of them

1 - 20 of 27 Posts