DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love PCs and Macs so I don;t want this to end up being a Mac vs PC thing.

Anyway, I have started to build a Hackintosh. I have a few parts but still way off. The parts i'm using are 100% compatible with OSx and it's basically a mock of the development systems Apple used. The system will use a old sawtooth case and the rest will be Intel, Pioneer and Maxtor.

Motherboard: Intel D945GTP, D945PLM Socket 775
Intel Core Duo (still thinking what CPU I want)
Pioneer DVR-110D DVD+RW drive
Maxtor SATA 250GB
Apple G4 (Sawtooth) case
1 to 4 GB of RAM (I only have 1GB at the moment)

This motherboard i'm using is the same that Apple used and even can handle the EFI system, just need a ROM dump of a dev system. Chances of that is slim so I might have to use the Darwin Bootloader.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
That's cool.......wanna build me a Hackintosh as well? :p

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
you might wanna consider using a seagate, ive had issues with the maxtors of late, and 2, seagate gives a 5 yr warranty!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
wb6vpm said:
you might wanna consider using a seagate, ive had issues with the maxtors of late, and 2, seagate gives a 5 yr warranty!
Thanks for the late heads up Mike! I have a pair of 250gb Maxtors coming tomorrow. I've had nothing but bad luck with Seagates and have been fine with Maxtor and WD. Hopefully they're OK!

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm boycotting seagate. Every seagate I have own is crap. They just die out of nowhere or don't work right due to a crappy firmware and end up with a bad partition. Yea that 5 year warranty can go to hell. When the drive breaks and you ship it to them they send you a refurb drive that chances are it had the same problems and might happen again. Maxtor and Western Digital FTW.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
TCPMeta said:
I'm boycotting seagate. Every seagate I have own is crap. They just die out of nowhere or don't work right due to a crappy firmware and end up with a bad partition. Yea that 5 year warranty can go to hell. When the drive breaks and you ship it to them they send you a refurb drive that chances are it had the same problems and might happen again. Maxtor and Western Digital FTW.

TCP when was the last time you owned a seagate? in the last few years they have really gotten thier sh!t together and cleaned themselves up. all i use in the nework at work is seagates, and i have had 0 problems with them (and there are probably around 500 drives in play there)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I have to agree with the above..... nothing but praise for Seagate over here at Andrew's Electronics. The Barracuda ES is the top seller! Fast as hell with a 5 year warranty.... I can't argue with that and neither do my customers. I haven't sent ONE back yet.

The WD Caviar RE2 is a close second.

The enterprise grade 7200 RPM drives cost a little more but they have better warranties and they have this better warranty for a reason! I send less of them back because they are built to a higher standard.

I pride myself with building the most reliable PC money can buy.... the fact that I put Seagate drives in these PCs should say a lot.

As for Maxtor..... don't go there. :barfonu:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
edit to my prev statement, i have had around 5 drives fail, and they were all what i would consider "expected" failures (all on database drives/file servers)

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
We used to have a Seagate drive on our 486........died one day. Been running WD's since, and none have died. I've been running a Hitachi for the last few years, and I have nothing but good things to say about that drive as well.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The last seagate I had bought was last year since bestbuy had a deal on it. 160GB drive for 70 and some reason they had 80GB drives for like 113. Anyway, the drive crapped out 6 months later and couldn't keep a master boot record if it's life depended on it. I had to end up using the disktools CD that came with it and edit the drive to use a different sector for the MBR so it wouldn't crap out. Then a month later it died but it was due to a bad firmware so I had to reflash the drive. I still have the drive in use but it's now used to backup software.

I've had a few problems with maxtors but that was do to power failures but power failures can kill any drive. I have a WDs in all of my systems and they have not screwed up once. I even have a old WD drive ESDI 35MB I still use in my old IBM AT I still play with and hasn't died yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts