DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had my Grand Am GT for a week, and somebody wants a piece. An old friend of mine with an 02 Ecilpse (2.4L motor, 5 speed) says it'll crap all over my GT. He's laying $100 down, he honestly thinks he can beat me. Easy money, don't you think?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If both drivers were pro drivers, I'd say that the Grand Am GT would win.

But being that it'll be a street race (?) where the clock doesn't start when you press go, I could see the Eclipse winning. It's not totally impossible.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wider is better..right?

Seriously.. take his azz to the track.. make it official..
Part of a real race is reaction time.. Alot of guys will
react to the tree like they are at a friggin stop light
on a Sunday morning.. See it all the time.

·
Registered
458 Posts
[ChaosweaveR] said:
I haven't had my Grand Am GT for a week, and somebody wants a piece. An old friend of mine with an 02 Ecilpse (2.4L motor, 5 speed) says it'll crap all over my GT. He's laying $100 down, he honestly thinks he can beat me. Easy money, don't you think?
Trust me I get that all the time with the Tiburon, but I don't take the bait and do the street race thing, to many people can get hurt and besides that a couple of time people wanted to race me and they took off, they ended up getting pulled over. I didn't because I drove normal.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Bahh 98' was the last good year of the Eclipce after that they went to ****.. No AWD Turbo =boo. My high school car was a 97' Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Turbo same as the Eclipce GSX.. Could be a close race but i remember when the new eclipces came out they got smoked by the old AWD Turbo's LOL

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LULZ, despite how bad street racing is, we did it anyway. Out on Rt. 83, there's a long strech where there's no housing, people, or other traffic and it becomes deserted at around 7pm. While nothing amazing or out of the ordinary happened, I did beat the guy by a full car length. Now I'm $100 richer. :laughing:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Just be careful with the street racing. I think most of us are guilty of doing things that would fall under the classification of street racing; you just need to remember that it will catch up to you sooner or later.
That being said, Pontiacs are good cars with plenty of torque, so I’m not surprised that you got him with your GT. People think Eclipses are “all that”, but in actuality they’re just a car that happens to have a lot of support by aftermarket companies. So if you want to spend an arm and a leg on them you can make them reasonably fast with a bunch of bolt-ons.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
24vsleeper said:
Just be careful with the street racing. I think most of us are guilty of doing things that would fall under the classification of street racing; you just need to remember that it will catch up to you sooner or later.
That being said, Pontiacs are good cars with plenty of torque, so I’m not surprised that you got him with your GT. People think Eclipses are “all that”, but in actuality they’re just a car that happens to have a lot of support by aftermarket companies. So if you want to spend an arm and a leg on them you can make them reasonably fast with a bunch of bolt-ons.
That's the problem with them. You HAVE to spend a good amount of money to make them go fast.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alderran said:
Don't race any Honda Odysseys for money. My wife's minivan would blow the doors off my mother's Alero which is the same car as yours. I've driven them both and know it wouldn't even be close.
That's because they have a bigger displacenment version of Honda's versitle 3.0L V6. Hell, even in a Pilot, those motors have ****ing balls. It's the only Honda engine I take seriously, at all. **** those four bangers.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
But come on. Let's compare apples to apples here.

You're talking about comparing a 3.4 liter V6 from a "sporty" car to Honda's 2.0 I4 from a econocar (not talking about the S2000). What's so great about that argument?

That's like a Corvette owner bragging about being able to beat a Nissan Altima 3.5.

Make valid comparisons if you want to ridicule another company.

And as far as DSM's go, it depends on what your definition of fast is. Back in the early 90's when they first came out, they were FAST. Even in the mid 90's with the 2nd gens, they were still FAST. Bang for the buck, not many cars could touch them.

But if you're comparing them to cars nowadays where a Nissan Altima can run 14's, then yeah, you can say that DSM's are slow. And again, if comparing apples to apples, a similar year Eclipse with a V6 would leave your GT in the dust.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts