DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its not an R/T kill but its still my kill and I'm thinking of buying back my Firebird so maybe everyone will give me advice on whether or not I should get it back. I sold my Firebird last year to a friend so I could make room for the Intrepid. He drove it around for a while until his niece blew up the motor. He replaced the motor with a 350 and 4 barrel carb set up and is now thinking of selling the car (when he bought it from me the rule was I get first dibs on it). He asked me if I wanted to see if I was still interested and let me drive it (first time I've even been in it since the new motor). I pull out onto the street and am just getting used to the car again when I get stuck at a light. This guy in a Maxima behind pulls around from behind me and gets in the lane next to me. I didn't think anything of it until my friend pointed out his lane ends and he's going to try jumping out in front. The light changes and I nailed the gas and spun tires all the way through the intersection (thank god for 245/50/r16's). I looked back and I had him by 4-5 lengths. He tried catching up but everytime he did I'd hit he gas and just pull away like he was in reverse. I asked my friend about the motor and he said it was a crate motor with 350 hp out of the box and his mechanic friend did a little tweaking so its probably closer to 400hp. The torque on this thing WILL snap your head back. What's everyone's opinion, should I buy this back or let it go? I'd be using it in the summer and spring and I know what parts are on it since I had them done myself before selling. Its got 3.73 posi, performance automatic tranny, borla exhaust, subframe connectors and a strut tower brace. The interior options are power mirrors, windows, door locks and t-tops and the body is still in good shape. Opinions?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Is there a reason not to take it? What year is it and how much is he selling it for?

How much did he get the engine for? he should have checked out the anniversary edition 3.8L Turbo (0-60 5.1 secs), now that could run with a Corvette.

What year Maxima did u smoke? A 2002 runs 0-60 in 6.3 secs and 1/4 mile in like mid to high 14's

With 400hp you'll be in Corvette territory.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Well BK, I like the firebird the way you described it. However, my question is, if you're in VA, are you going to be able to store the car somewhere for the winters or are you going to have it for everyday? Cause if it is for every day, then, no, but if just for nice weather, then yea, buy it. Also, was the bird originally EFI or was it carb'd when you had it the first time around?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car is a 92 that had Throttle Body Fuel Injection but was switched over to carb and I can store this in my garage. I really don't see any problems with getting it back but still trying to decide if I should get it now or wait and buy a Hemi in 2004. My friend and his mechanic built the motor to run in the low 13's- high 12's. The other thing is that I can in the future add a supercharger to it for very little money. The Maxima was brand new because he still had dealer plates.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Sweet kill, not many cars can beat the 2002 Maxima.

How much is the car going to cost?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its going to run about 3500. I sold it to my friend for 1500.00 but since he replaced the motor he's only asking for what he put into it and the original purchase price.

·
Registered
890 Posts
BUY BUY BUY. Okay first i he put a new motor then it has almost new miles on it.

Buy it and make it into youre project car. Restore it, paint it new and put nice wheels exhaust tips. And make it into a show car and use youre R/T for daily commute driving.

AND PLEASE WE NEED TO SEE PICS OF THE CAR AND ENGINE:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I probably will get it- the car is jade in color and I added the 16x8 deep dish Gold cross lace rims to it when I first got it. It had gold 15X7's but they weren't as nice. I do know the car has an open element on top of the 4 barrel carb. It does have a few door dings and even though paint is shiny, I'll probably have the body restored, the only thing the interior needs is new carpet as time has faded the gray and now looks a little dingy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts