DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My power steering went out totally - it was a real trick getting it out of a street parking space. It does not work at all - steers once it is rolling but real workout otherwise.

History..

Back in April my Rack & Pinion fell out of my Concorde. My wheels pointed 2 different directions. Towed to my mechanic. He replaced the Rack and Pinion.

Part he used... (22 346 A1 Cardone Rebuilt Rack And Pinion)

In June the pump made some noise - looked and it needed some power steering fluid - noise stopped - seemed fine - but in October it happened again - I added fluid & went back to my mechanic. He said to just add Lucas Power Steering Stop leak fluid. Fluid level stayed good - but today nothing - no power steering fluid. Fluid level looks good swirling in reserve while running but just no power steering.

He has my car now.

Any advice?

On a side note: Just as routine maintenance I asked him to change both belts and check all the pulleys when he is working on it... I was getting a squeal when AC was on - but this is all likely unrelated to power steering failure.

Here are photos of my old R&P and the label on the replacement. Maybe it has a bad seal or maybe there is a blockage somewhere. Any other ideas?

Cheers

Attachments

·
Woober Goobers!
50,623 Posts
Too bad you didn't buy one of these genuine Mopar racks instead of the CarDone Crapola! $188 !!

Big question is if you were losing power steering fluid why wasn't the leak investigated and repaired? That stop leak stuff may have contributed to the pump failure and/or your CarDone rack may have failed.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would jump on one of those Mopar racks at that price - if you see one somewhere. I can likely get him to switch to that if the rack is the issue.

And sure I wish my mechanic had investigated it rather than asking me to just try adding the Lucas. Might be time to switch guys. But he only charged me $695 total when I towed it there. And I had to do $95 elsewhere for an alignment. It was a rush job. I don't think they like working on this car. Haha

Too bad you didn't buy one of these genuine Mopar racks instead of the CarDone Crapola! $188 !!

Big question is if you were losing power steering fluid why wasn't the leak investigated and repaired? That stop leak stuff may have contributed to the pump failure and/or your CarDone rack may have failed.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,623 Posts
The link to the ebay item is in the post above. I bought one last year to have as a spare and I believe Dan bought one also.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah - but now it is sold out. Only Mopar one I could find is $1100. At this point my mechanic is going to get the part in the morning - the Cardone warranty is 3 years - so should be free. He is covering the repair - though I will give him a few hundred - I also need to take it to a Firestone place again to get the alignment redone - so likely $100 there too. So all told $300+ loss.

Anything I should also fix while they are in there? Like a throttle body cleaning? Do they work from top or from bottom?

·
Woober Goobers!
50,623 Posts
Has he verified the rack is the problem? What about the pump?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah - the three of them agree that it is the rack and not the pump. They are good mechanics - it really is not their fault that Cardone makes remanufactured crapola.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,623 Posts
Carry on!

Dan brought up the new Mopar racks in the 2019 Whore thread back around Oct 2019. Here's the link to where I had received mine:

Too bad we didn't make a general thread post letting everyone know the availability of these. It was $189+tax. Mine was $206.94 shipped with Tax.

These were NOS OEM Mopar racks that would be over $1100 from the dealer today if available. Brand new in box.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All fixed - working great now. Thanks all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts