DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just acquired a 2000 Saturn SL2. I goal with this is to make a reliable, and comfortable long commute car. I have a 110 mile one way commute to work once a week I have been driving the Camaro, but it is starting to take it's toll on it. I got this to take up those duties and the Camaro will be the fun weekend car. Now for the down an dirty I picked this up at a buy here pay here lot for $400 cause it has an engine knock. At first it sounded like the timing chain slapping around in the cover but once I got it home the chain is tight, or about as tight as a 112,000 mile car should be. I pulled the plugs and rotated the crank back and forth a little. I really couldn't hear or feel anything, so it is still up in the air what it could be.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,032 Posts
Exterior and Interior look pretty clean.

Get that Engine Compartment cleaned up! j/k.

Is it just me or does the engine look like like it only takes up half the width of the engine compartment? How big is that puppy in displacement?

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a nice clean find!
Thanks Dan

Exterior and Interior look pretty clean.

Get that Engine Compartment cleaned up! j/k.

Is it just me or does the engine look like like it only takes up half the width of the engine compartment? How big is that puppy in displacement?
The engine is gonna be the first thing I clean. got to get rid of the spiders. I already found a black widow. it is a 1.9L

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well it appears the verdict is in. It is in the bottom end ether the #1 or #2 cylinder. I think even with a engine replacement or rebuild i can still make my goal which was to get this on the road for less than it would cost to buy one perfectly running.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,537 Posts
Well it appears the verdict is in it is in the bottom end ether the #1 or #2 cylinder. I think even with a engine replacement or rebuild i can still make my goad which was to get this on the road for less than it would cost to buy one perfectly running.
Maybe see if you can find a good low mile used engine.

Pretty easy swap in that car.

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pull a part in Columbia is showing 8 cars there so they should have a good DOHC engine. I think it is, but I need to find out if the long block is the same across all 3 generations.

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i got bored this morning and started the process of pulling the engine. According to the FSM I would have to unplug every single connector on the engine and trans harness and drape it over the drivers fender. Well in 2000 they have a separate PCM and BCM which mounts the under the hood instead of under the dash as before. I followed the harness from the PCM then around to the fuse box. All I had to disconnect was the PCM, one big plug from the fuse box, and the positive batt connection to the fuse box , and that is it the engine and trans harness is completely separated from the chassis.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,032 Posts
Do you have to pull the engine yourself at one of those yards or can you pay them a few extra $$$ to yank it for you?

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm gonna do it my self. There is a LKQ and another self serve yard close to me. There is also a Pull-A-Part in Columbia. Pull-A-part only wants $135 for a 4 cly. This engine is extremely easy to pull out I am very close to pull mine out all I have left is to drain the cooling system, pull the CV shafts, and unbolt the mounts and she's out.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,032 Posts
Wow! $135 for an engine. Is it complete or just the long block?

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well just went to the LKQ and they got 2 possible choices for engines. I'm kinda limited on years from 99 to 02. I did grab a full set of OE wheel covers from a 98 I think they look better than what came OE on the 2000, and look a hell of a lot better than the Nissan imitation ones that were on there before. Also got a passenger mirror and the rear seat cup holder I was missing.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,032 Posts
Wheel covers look a lot better than what was on there.

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. I got the engine ready to pull. I only have 2 bell housing bolts to take out, hook the chain to it and out she comes. The plan is to get the replacement next weekend.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,032 Posts
Go Dave Go!

What kind of mileage on the "New" engine? About the same as what you have now? Lower/Higher?

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't found it yet, but I hope to get one with lower mileage. Pull a Part in Augusta GA is showing 18 Saturns in there inventory 10 of which are in the year range I need, and there the cheapest. I would hope they got a good one in there some where. There is a P A P in Columbia but they don't have as large of a selection. I'm gonna try to do a compression test and if I can hear it run before I pull it.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,032 Posts
Augusta? Isn't that near where Keith used to live? Haven't heard from him in awhile.

Hope you get that deluxe engine cheap!

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well got the engine out and stripped of the intake, exhaust, A/C compressor, and various sensors. If all goes well with the rental pick up im gona get the new engine tomorrow

1 - 20 of 35 Posts