DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I knew I would win but wasn't sure by how much. I pulled up to a light next to a Grand Am GT and he started creeping like he wanted to race. So when it turned green I hit the gas kinda hard but not all the way until I knew he wanted to race. He nailed it and started pulling a little so I floored it the rest of the way and pulled on him very quickly, had more than 2 car lengths after about 2 blocks. That got me thinking he wasn't really racing. But the next light caught us both, and when it turned green he squeeled his tires so I knew he was really trying. Pulled on him even more this time, 2 car lenghts by 60 or so. He probably had quite abit of stereo equipment in his car though, I could hear bass booming out of it.

On a side not, I did race another GT on the highway once and it was a much closer race. Of course he wouldn't slow down and I was a little uncomfortable cruising over 100mph so I wasn't giving him all I had. I Probably woulda killed him if he slowed down 60 and we started accelerating together.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
good job showing the pontiass who he was dealing with. I happened to dig up the statistics for both from car-stats.com
The 99 Grand Am GT goes 7.7 to 60 and does the quarter in 16.0 with a trap speed of 86 mph. The 00 R/T takes 7.8 seconds to get to 60 with the exact same 1/4 mile time as the Grand Am GT but with a trap speed of 89 mph. So according to those stats, they should have been pretty even at the end, but then again, those are stats for both when they were new, and on an official drag racing track.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Grand Am G/T

Good Kill!

The Grand Am G/T is not all that quick. I drive a 2000 GT just about every day. It's my girlfriend's car and I'm always getting behind the wheel. I was really surprised at how sluggish it is off the line. It gets better at highway speeds, but for how the car looks and to carry the "G/T" moniker, it should have alittle more "go" to go with the "show".

I guess you could tell how slow they are off the line by the differences in the street (2 car length) and highway race (pretty even).

It is also horribly loud! The exhaust drones constantly at every speed. It sounds cool, almost like it has a V8 under the hood...but with all that noise you'd think it'd have something to back it up.

Good kill.....I told her she should've bought Stratus R/T.:wink::

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Speaking of the stratus. I was thinking of getting the R/T, but I dont know, anyways, here are the stats for it from the same source as above.

7.4 seconds to 60
15.7 seconds in the 1/4 mile
with a trap speed of 90 mph

That is pretty good, dont you think?

·
Registered
9 Posts
just a correction to your Grand AM GT 1/4 time...its rated at 7.7 0-60, 15.8 1/4 at 87 mph. Even though there are many stock Grand AM GT owners that have recorded 15.5's and 15.6's. I honestly doubt you had 2 car lengths if any on the guy unless the guy wasn't trying. And for only having 205 ft lbs of torque for a 3200 lb car, it is pretty quick. Whats even better is that a 3100 has 20 less ft lbs of torque and nearly 20 less hp and its 1/4 and 0-60 are only a 1/10 slower than the 3400 Grand AM GT's. Im not ripping on treps caus i think theyre sharp cars, but Grand AM GT's are a little quicker than the RT's. And if you gave a Grand AM GT a manual like the stratus, you would be in the 6's for 0-60 and low-mid 15's easily. I like how you guys rip on the Grand AM but more than 3/4 of you would lose to one. Unless of course it was an OHC 2.3. And Grand AM's are monsters off the line all the way till 4600 RPM when valve overlap becomes just rediculous and power drops rapidly from there. My 3100 when it was still stock returned a time of [email protected], and that's quick. And racing against a Grand AM on the highway wouldnt be a good idea because they are able to stay in 2nd gear all the way to 85 mph and 60 mph-75 is their sweet spot in 2nd. The points where you might gain on one are 40-47, 75-85, 115-120, and 126 on because of the speed limiter. Otherwise those cars are fast. I'm going to be buying one in a few days, and I've even tried an R/T but I felt I got more sport and more equip for the money in a Grand AM GT. And about the Grand AM GT being loud, not quite, theyre rated at 72 [email protected] WOT and 30 [email protected] That's not loud at all. So quit dawgin Grand AM's, they WILL beat and RT about 80 percent of the time, and they're not bad cars, so you don't have any room to being talking **** about them.

Brad

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
You are right, the Grand Am G/T is a good car.

I've posted before on this website, (you can search for it, cause I'm too lazy to) that for the money, you cannot get the content that you receive with the GA for the same money. My girlfriend got her 2000 G/T totally loaded with leather for under $18K (after rebates). I can't see any other car even coming close in price for what you get.

I drive alot of cars and have owned quite alot of cars. I can say that compared to other cars, the GA is loud (call me finicky). I don't care what the internet claims it's decibel level is or what Car & Driver claims in their pages. Any "car" person can tell you that magazines don't mean crap. I for one can talk about the car all I want. I have the ability to compare the two cars every day. My car is like a library compared to the GA. Even my girlfriend comments on how "drony" her car sounds when she gets in mine.

I do not dislike the Grand Am, however it; like any car...it has it's faults. So does the Intrepid, I can attest to that. I am more then fair when it comes to the faults of my car.

Some things I noticed about the Grand Am: The leather in the GA is like the cheapest vinyl ever put into a Pinto. Can I say this? Sure, I just had to condition it 2 days ago. I also put in some SuperWhite headlights the other day....whoever designed the lame ass clips that hold those headlights in should be shot. (probably the same person who designed that "great" looking dash, eh?) Way too much cheap looking plastic...

I can also say I'm not that impressed with it's off the line acceleration. I have a 2.7 liter base model Intrepid and my girlfriend wonders why her car feels so sluggish off the line compared to mine. I am guessing gearing, but who's to say? Quote away on articles and statistics. I'm quoting from experience.

Anyway, for it's faults...I must admit; it is a very tight and well put together car. It's only been in once to the dealership for faulty window regulators (scratched the windows so bad they had to replace them). Other then that it's been free of any problems. It handles excellently, the steering is just a little too assisted at highway speeds, but nice and heavy during cornering. The stereo puts to shame anything Chrysler has put in their cars, and I wish someone at DaimlerChrysler would see that you can have lighted cruise control buttons just like the GA.:crazy:

I actually just put a K&N filter in it over the weekend (it needed a new filter and she said what the hell, $40.00 is worth it alone for the warranty) I also installed a Gentex Compass/Temp mirror in her car last summer. We had the windows limo tinted, a Viper Alarm and remote starter installed, and we've been checking out www.gmowertalk.net for more ideas. If you have any, I'd love to hear them.

So don't think we are here to put down your car....we simply state what we experience. If bboucher said he blew by a Grand Am at 2 car lengths, is that so horrible? Big deal...live with it. Trust me, we get beat every day in our big oil tankers, we live with it. :blush:

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I dont find anything wrong with the Grand Am myself. I am just siding with anthony on the fact that some of its features are not so great looking. I would prefer the stratus R/T for looks, but that is just me I guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hey intrepidatious, its cool not everyone is out to slam Grand AM's. Im a GT member on GMpowertalk.com and I know quite a bit about them. There is a whole bunch of performance modifications you can make to the 3400. As of right now, there's a chip, Borla Exhaust, Supercharger Kit, Turbo (coming soon), guage pod, white faced gauges, intake kit, MAF mod, headers (soon), clear tails, shaving emblems, etc. There's a lot of stuff that can be done to them. And anything that fits the 3400 will also fit the 3100 since they are the same engine. The only bad thing about the 3400 Grand AM GT though is that the transmission isn't as strong as the 3100 Grand AM's. The 3400 has a 4T45-E and the 3100 has the 4T60-E (same transmission that is used with older supercharged 3800's). So when you're modding the 3400, be careful to not exceed the torque limitations. But just with a $300 chip, the 3400 will run 0-60 in low 7's and low 15's in the 1/4. And very soon Pontiac will be releasing the SC/T which will also include a SC 3400 (262 HP) and 5 speed manual. Thats due this summer or next year. Early tests had a manual version running 0-60 in 5.9 seconds. Which will kill nearly anything in it's class. It's long overdue though, and when the 5-speed manual finally gets put in, there will be many 3100 owners gettign their hands on them and then more 3100's will be running low 15's with all stock parts besides the manual tranny. And I don't have a problem with an R/T beating a Grand AM GT, but 2 car lengths is too much if they were actually doing a fair race, because the stats (being seen at local tracks and yes...magazines) show that a Grand AM will win. But intrepidatious, if you want any more ideas, just visit the GMpower forum or email me sometime at [email protected].

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
That SC/T sounds really cool. A 5 speed would make the GA a beast. The automatic seems to zap the power from it. We have the same problem in the Intrepids...weak tranny.

Thanks for your ideas caveman, maybe I'll see you on the GMpowertalk boards. I'll try and post some pics of her car. It's actually pretty sweet looking. They look good in white.

I recently saw the Matchbox Grand Am...interesting looking. I'm wondering if they are going to go towards any of that styling in the next freshening or redesign. Do you know if any of the parts on that car are available?

I saw the white faced gauges you were mentioning for the air conditioning face plate, but I can't seem to find one for the speedo and tach...any ideas? (links?)

Also, thanks for being civil! Sometimes, visitors to the board aren't very friendly (especially in a thread about racing)...we appreciate it. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
9 Posts
if you go to pfyc.com for the white faced gauges, they have some I think under the 99+ section. And yeah I love the way Grand AM's look in white, but im falling in love very quickly with the black ones. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to see if I can order one. I'm cleared for the loan, I just have to see if I can get a good deal on a new one.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man, I got in late here. Grand Am GT will never beat a R/T stock vs stock. I run 15.6's 1/4 mile all the time here in Hawaii, and the track here is at least 3 tenths slower than most mainland tracks. And I also said the guy probably had a huge stereo in the trunk so that weight easily could translate into 2 car lengths. Trust me, the guy was definately trying to race. R/T shifts from 2nd to 3rd at about 87mph

·
Registered
602 Posts
In my personal opininon I could not stand those orange lit guages.....

Personally although the GT is supercharged with more power I still think it's pretty weak. As for the styling it's not my type of ride.....

GM has a 3.8L in there..... that must only put out like 200-225HP Non supercharged. They get a lot of the extra power through the supercharger..... I will acknowledge that there are probably many more mods available for the 3800 but the we have some chips, intakes, custom stuff available for some of our treps as well.

3.8L in certain ranges is not that fast. I don't care if it has 300HP or not I know for a fact my dads stock 99GT 4.6L could take it to one. 260HP at the wheels...... It kicks down so hard that it almost sends you into a donut sometimes in 1st gear hard kickdown when not using the low speed traction control.

If our trannies could take it we could and we could make an R/T-S edition Intrepid a supercharged 3.5L would easily take it to a GT 3.8L any day. Could probably get about 350HP out of a supercharged Chrysler 3.5L. Actually as to my knowledge, Chrysler has already got 300HP out of the 3.5L HO without turbocharging or supercharging it but through performance tuning and cam modification. So perhaps the 3.5L High Output could put out about 400HP. Now that's some excellent potential......! Now if we can only get the prowlers A606 42LE for a rear wheel drive configuration that transfers some of the power through a differential or perhaps the Mercedes E Class RWD drivetrain this can or will be done.

I know I have taken it to plenty of Grand AM's and Grand Prix's in my 99 3.2L ES and even in my 2.7L w/performance exhaust, especially when I had my intake in. I'll admit that I haven't taken it to the Supercharged GT, understandibly. I think an R/T could do pretty well depending on how it's driven and if the driver knows it's kickdown points for on and off type of racing. He's got 3.66's same as my 99ES, which isn't that bad but The 2002 R/T with 3.89's could probaby really take it to a GTGP off the line.

No tryin' to dis or hate on Pontiac but it's just not my car and that's just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MoparPerf, there are no supercharged Grand Am's. The supercharger is on the Grand Prix GTP, the GT Grand Prix has a non-supercharged 3.8L. The Grand Am GT comes with a 3.4L non super-charged engine.

Never said I could run with a Grand Prix, the GT is about even and the base Grand Prix should be a little slower than my R/T. I know we're no match for the GTP.....I do love that engine in that car! Also, my buddies slightly modified GTP has spanked quite a few Mustang GT's at the track.

·
Registered
602 Posts
No, no I know that. For some reason I was thinking Grand Prix GT. GT and GTP, got it mixed up. Grand Am, whatever, Pontiac something I meant....... Sorry.......

My main point is that I personally feel that the 3.5L is a better engine with greater potential than the 3800 that is used in many Pontiacs. The only that makes the 3800 great in the GT Grand Prix is the fact that it's supercharged. That engine is not really a powerhouse otherwise.

An 02' R/T should be able to be close. Well, the R/T better be more than close with a standard Grand Prix. I took it to a couple on the freeway in my 99ES 3.2L. Yes racing, got over 100MPH...... 0-60 I'll easily admit I'd probably get whooped.

3.4L? What does that put out......?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Man I dont know i had a contour se with 175 hp and a 5 spd and 2 weeks before i gave it as a trade for my trep i raced a lady that i work with who has a brand new gt ram air grand am and i kept up with her all the way, we raced to 80 and we both were about neck and neck now maybe it was because she didnt know how to drive the car (not because shes woman) but i really didnt think much of the grand am after that day and i know for sure that my 225 hp trep wouldve taken my contour far as i know the 02 ram air grand am has 175hp and i forget the torque but to me those are some sad numbers for a car that costs as much as it does.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Let's see.....the Prowler has the same engine (and tranny) as the R/T and they have available a Paxton Supercharger. I'm sure it could be retrofitted to an Intrepid. If so that would give the R/T 367hp! Hell yeah!!! :biggrin:

Doesn't the Grand Prix GT have 200hp? If so, this car is about equal to an R/T??????????

·
Registered
602 Posts
Contours are not at all bad. I give them props, especially the SVT! We had a Contour and that sucker was quick. Handled pretty well too.

I've taken it to most Pontiacs, Grand Prix and Grand AM in my 99 ES 3.2L even some in my 02' 2.7L so I personally don't think much of them. I don't even know what a Grand AM GT is all about so I can't say I've taken it to one before. They all look the same unless you look close. I'm not really a Pontiac guy.

Hey War, even more man........ 417HP in an R/T with Chrysler's Cam Mod, power tuning and a good Supercharger

242HP=Chrysler 3.5L "Magnum" High Output
300HP=Chrysler 3.5L "Magnum" High Output w/Cam Mod and Power Tuning
417HP=Chrysler 3.5L "Magnum" High Output w/Cam Mod and Power Tuning
Assuming that the Paxton has like a 117HP increase, I'm to lazy to verify it right now.

Wouldn't that be some shhhht! I wish I had the money to actually do that, I would then mod the drivetrain to a RWD Prowler configuration.

This V6 would take it to a lot of cars, most V8's. A V6 with almost as much HP as the Viper's V10.

Wonder what it could do 0-60 in......? about 5.9 with the 3.89 gears......?

For all you 5 speed guys, this month the Stratus is gonna have a 5 speed manual. Pop that sucker in there too.......?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts