DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got the following codes on my '96 Intrepid ES 3.5L, by doing the on, off, on, off, on method:

MIL Code Description of Diagnostic Trouble Code
12* Battery has been disconnected within last 50 key-on cycles
21** O2 sensor
25** Open or shorted condition detected in one or more of the idle air control motor circuits
52** Rich air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally lean correction factor
55* Completion of fault code display on Check Engine Lamp
* - Check Engine Lamp will not illuminate if this Diagnostic Trouble Code was recorded. Cycle Ignition key as described and observe code flashed by Check Engine Lamp** - Check Engine Lamp will illuminate during engine operation if this DTC was recorded.*** - Generator Lamp illuminated

Your recommendations probably is to replace O2 sensor. Is there a way of narrowing down which O2 sensor is bad?

Also Code 25, not sure what that one is?

·
9,861 Posts
Buy one, then try replacing each O2 sensor with the new one until you dont get the code. Its a bit tedious, but its better then paying for 4 new oxygen sensors.

You might be able to narrow the bad one down by checking the resistances of each with a multimeter. They all should be similar resistances except for the bad one.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
psal2 said:
Sounds like a plan, however, I thought the before converter and after converter were different part numbers?

they are, and they're all expensive as ****. there's actually 3 sensors that you need. the two upstream ones are the same p/n. the downstream ones are the same sensor but the length of the wiring harness is different (17" vs 24" if i recall right). i am almost positive that the two downstream sensors are the same price....you just have to get one of each.

at least they're easy to change.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I use a sensor tester like the CP9080, do you know how accurate it would be? I figure I'd spend $50 on the test (good to have anyway) and hopefully narrow down the O2 that is bad (hopefully only one).

Any testers you might recommend?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I think you can just use a multimeter to check the resistance.

Wouldn't think you'd need a sensor tester..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Help again on My Trep's MIL Codes

Could the O2 sensor be causing all the codes? If not, what would be the other reasons?

psal2 said:
I got the following codes on my '96 Intrepid ES 3.5L, by doing the on, off, on, off, on method:

MIL Code Description of Diagnostic Trouble Code
12* Battery has been disconnected within last 50 key-on cycles
21** O2 sensor
25** Open or shorted condition detected in one or more of the idle air control motor circuits
52** Rich air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally lean correction factor
55* Completion of fault code display on Check Engine Lamp
* - Check Engine Lamp will not illuminate if this Diagnostic Trouble Code was recorded. Cycle Ignition key as described and observe code flashed by Check Engine Lamp** - Check Engine Lamp will illuminate during engine operation if this DTC was recorded.*** - Generator Lamp illuminated

Your recommendations probably is to replace O2 sensor. Is there a way of narrowing down which O2 sensor is bad?

Also Code 25, not sure what that one is?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the 12, 52 I had these same codes before but the dealer said there was nothing wrong. I also have a jump when I am driving. I think that it is a bad fuel pump but the dealer again says that everything is fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts