DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 jetta wolfsburg edition.. it has a dead engine and i plan on putting in a new engine

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
very nice find and good luck with it, surely to make dubber fans jealous. vw's are a pain in the a$$ to work on IMO

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you rebuilding or swapping for another engine?
im leaning towards swapping the engine, been looking around for one

Cool, so is this going to be for you? Or a fix and sell?
i think im going to keep it..maybe at least for a year, then sell it, we'll see after its fixed hah

thanks eveyone for the comments

·
Grab Your ***** By The Horns
5,551 Posts
I hate to admit it on here, but I've always liked that body style of Jetta, especially the Wolfsburg Edition~ jah! German engineering from Germany, guten tag!..... unlike regular Jettas rocking der German name und built in Mexico. (NEIN!!!):whipschains: :hitler:

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,432 Posts
yea shes in amazing condition for having 171k miles. its a 1.8Turbo engine.heres a few more pics
Ahhh, the 1.8 turbo, the 2.7 of volkswagens. Car looks to be in nice shape, they are fun little cars, nice power.

You can repair the engine, I'll bet anything the timing tensioner failed, belt came off, and pistons hit the valves. If it wasnt that, then someone fixed it already during the cars life. It will cost $1000-$1500 to repair the head, if you do it yourself...Since its got so many miles, you could put a used engine in, last I checked they were $1500 to $3000, for something with decent miles.

Ive rebuilt the heads on a couple of these, and did an engine swap or two, if you need any help, let me know. Front end will have to come off of the car. The head is pretty complex, 5 valves per cylinder, and you'll need a special Volkswagen cylinder head bolt socket.

If you go used engine route, immediately get the new timing belt and tensioner kit, from Volkswagen, regardless of miles or condition of the new engine. This was a known common failure and can kill your new engine just as it did this one.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahhh, the 1.8 turbo, the 2.7 of volkswagens. Car looks to be in nice shape, they are fun little cars, nice power.

You can repair the engine, I'll bet anything the timing tensioner failed, belt came off, and pistons hit the valves. If it wasnt that, then someone fixed it already during the cars life. It will cost $1000-$1500 to repair the head, if you do it yourself...Since its got so many miles, you could put a used engine in, last I checked they were $1500 to $3000, for something with decent miles.

Ive rebuilt the heads on a couple of these, and did an engine swap or two, if you need any help, let me know. Front end will have to come off of the car. The head is pretty complex, 5 valves per cylinder, and you'll need a special Volkswagen cylinder head bolt socket.

If you go used engine route, immediately get the new timing belt and tensioner kit, from Volkswagen, regardless of miles or condition of the new engine. This was a known common failure and can kill your new engine just as it did this one.
thanks for the info, yea your exactly right about what happened, the timing tensioner failed and the pistons hit the valves... im looking into just getting a long block engine, and throwing on the old accessories..the original miles (currently on the car) are 171k

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,432 Posts
Dan's the man...
Nahh, all the "sensitive" engines just tend to gravitate my way...:worky:..

thanks for the info, yea your exactly right about what happened, the timing tensioner failed and the pistons hit the valves... im looking into just getting a long block engine, and throwing on the old accessories..the original miles (currently on the car) are 171k
Sounds good, make sure the turbo is in good shape too if you re-use it. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds good, make sure the turbo is in good shape too if you re-use it. Let me know if you have any questions.
can you help me and explain how can i check if the turbo is in good shape? (sorry newb at turbo's lol)

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
can you help me and explain how can i check if the turbo is in good shape? (sorry newb at turbo's lol)
you could always have it rebuilt if you feel like throwin extra money around:baller:. or buy a new one:baller:. i would wait till the new engine is in. might be functioning perfectly, thats just me though

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^ ill just wait and see i guess

heres a few more pics from today after i gave her a quick bath (she was soo dirty from sitting for at least 8 months)

:)wub:)

1 - 20 of 107 Posts