DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
can you help me and explain how can i check if the turbo is in good shape? (sorry newb at turbo's lol)
Take the housing off and look at the main internal Turbo Casset for leaking seals, fluidon the outside of the seals etc, fluid on the intake blades, or excessive carbon on the exhaust blades could all pint to that as a sign of worn dying turbo seals.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,516 Posts
Take the housing off and look at the main internal Turbo Casset for leaking seals, fluidon the outside of the seals etc, fluid on the intake blades, or excessive carbon on the exhaust blades could all pint to that as a sign of worn dying turbo seals.
Agree. Also spin the turbo blades by hand and listen for any noise, feel for any roughness, and check play up and down, and forward and back. That could indicate worn bearings. Look for damaged blades, or rubbing marks on the inside of the turbo housing. Check the inside and outside of the exhaust side for cracks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
took apart the head yesterday and i think i will just rebuild the head instead of getting a whole new engine

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,516 Posts
took apart the head yesterday and i think i will just rebuild the head instead of getting a whole new engine
Pics pics!! :) How many of the valves are bent, out of curiosity?

Last one I did had 17 out of 20.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
will take a pic of the head tomorrow, but for now heres a pic of the engine bay..with the head off

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
^ dang in that pic the engine is soo dirty, lol..it dont look like that no more

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,516 Posts
haha, i win with only 1 bad valve, (for now, we'll see after i do a few more tests later, for now i only did the water test)
Make sure you have it vacuum checked. Getting away with only one bent valve would be sweetness. Must have broke at idle, last one I did was doing 70 down the e-way, lol.

You've got the easy one, the passats and beetles you have to take the whole front clip off of the car to get to the front of the engine.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Make sure you have it vacuum checked. Getting away with only one bent valve would be sweetness. Must have broke at idle, last one I did was doing 70 down the e-way, lol.

You've got the easy one, the passats and beetles you have to take the whole front clip off of the car to get to the front of the engine.
P.M'ed and also im not sure if it was the tensioner that went or just the belt..on the belt there is a rip in it and you can see where it has skipped

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Pics pics!! :) How many of the valves are bent, out of curiosity?

Last one I did had 17 out of 20.
sorry i completely forgot about the pics.:nervous:.will have them no later than tonight, what would you like to see? top part of head,bottom? ...will also take updated pic of engine bay

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
heres a bunch of pics i took today,

and sorry cdmccul, but i cant take all angle pics right now because the car is currently like this:

its all "jacked" up :lulz:
heres the head pics

left side

right side

2 middle ones

the cleaner/emptier engine bay

loose parts (except for the spring, thats from another vehicle)

Turbo :D

i need to restore these headlights just like the intrepid's

21 - 40 of 107 Posts