DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 3.5 and know I have to do the lower intake manifold gasket and the valve cover gaskets. So far I know I need:

2 Valve cover gaskets
Lower intake manifold gasket
Upper intake manifold gasket (plenum gasket?)

What else will I need? I saw some sets came with gaskets for the EGR tube, is it even necessary to take that tube off to where I would have to replace the gaskets? Thanks!

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I guess this might be all I need? http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=FEL&mfrpartnumber=MS95444&parttype=102&ptset=A What are all those gaskets? I see the ones on the left are the intake plenum and lower intake manifold, and gaskets for the EGR tube on the right, and the other 2? Is Fel-Pro a good brand, I just want to be sure so I don't have to do this again.

Edit: Ok, I see now they're fuel rail gaskets. I guess my original question stands, is felpro OK? And my EGR valve has been busted for about a year now, is it ok to leave it as so and replace it later on? Or will I save a lot of time by doing it while I'm in there in the next few days?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
If you got the money, I'd do the EGR Valve now since you will have the intake off. It'll save you alot of time and effort. Also your car will run awhole lot better too.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
do all the gaskets

you do have to pull the egr tubes off the plenum. so change egr gaskets.

when plenum is off takes 2 mins to change rail gaskets

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I apoligize if this has been posted before, but is there a place to find a cheap EGR valve? I haven't found them for under $120 before. Or is it that difficult to put it on later without pulling the intake manifold again?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Looks like this project is go for this weekend! Is there a best and worst site to order all this from? I'm just going to do it via advance auto parts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Seems that you wont be the only one who will work on its Trep this week-end !! I have already my gasket kits on hand. Don't forget to get some antifreeze coolant and RTV sealer.As the radiator coolant will be out, I will change the thermostat.
I'm thinking of taking pictures throughout the process. It may be useful for future reference.. :dance2:

97 Trep ES, 3.5L

·
Registered
36 Posts
Izzay,

I did mine two weeks ago and it was not as difficult as I thought it would be. Here is the rundown I went through.
Disassembly - about 1.5 hours
Cleaning (gasket removal) - about 2.5 hours
Reassembly - 1.5 hours
wondering where the extra bolt came from - two days

If you do a web search you will find several pages with directions how to do the intake gasket job. They were a big help when I did the job. I got all my parts from the local Advance Auto Parts, it was less than $6 for the gaskets, Felpro is a very good brand, and then a few bucks for the tube of sealant.

Keeping all of the old gasket material out of the engine can be a chore, as is removing all of the old gasket material. If your gasket is seriously stuck to the top of the intake, like mine was, a can of gasket remover from Advanced is worth the $3.

As for the sealant, I have heard several different ideas, I just used a thin coat around the coolant ports.

Replacing the gaskets made a big difference in the car, except the car developed some other problems (but that was another post). Just get some good instructions, the right tools and all the parts and have some fun.

Mike

Incidentally, the extra bolt was one I did not repalce in the coil pack when I replace it a few months earlier.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the RTV completely necessary? or does the gasket do the job on its own.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've heard people here say that RTV is necessary and others say dry is fine. I chose to err on the side of caution and use some around the water jackets. Please don't take my word on this only, wait for some others with lots more experience to weigh in on this. You could also do a search on intake gaskets and see what you find.

Mike

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone have any advice on the RTV? How to apply, etc?

·
Banned
72 Posts
First off, you need to just get an intake manifold gasket kit from autozone- it comes with the following:

EGR gaskets
Intake manifold gaskets
Fuel rail gaskets
Plenum Gasket

As far as RTV, yes I use it only around the coolant passages. It also helps keep the intake manifold gaskets in place too. I recommend you plug the intake and injector holes with paper towels before scraping old gasket off too.
It's not a difficult job at all. Just label everything before you disconnect it and you should be fine.

One major thing to beware of is shearing off the intake manifold bolts- they often get rusty near the coolant passages and will break off. I usually loosen with a couple of quick pumps from impact wrench to break rust bond but don't remove them with the air tools so as not to damage threads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts