DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any threads left that include photos of someone changing their rack bushings? I have a 1996 Concorde 3.5 LXi, and I need some images to go along with instructions. So far, since the new forum software install, I can't find old photos anywhere.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Does anyone know if the 1996 Concorde's steering rack uses two mounting bushings, or four?

All I can find for sale is for the driver's side.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am going with two on the driver's side for now. Moog K7387

Is there a U-clamp that fits over these two bushings?
On the drivers side it has the 2 like you posted, on the passenger side it has a big one that kinda wraps around the rack and is held in with a C clamp kind of deal.
Can I ask why you are replacing the bushings? I know these cars are getting older now but most of the time its the inner tie rod bushings or cradle bushings that go bad and cause sloppy steering

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I ask why you are replacing the bushings? I know these cars are getting older now but most of the time its the inner tie rod bushings or cradle bushings that go bad and cause sloppy steering
The inner tie rod bushings have been replaced along with the outer tie rod ends, and the sub-frame bushings were changed out too. You can see the rack moving side to side where the rack bushings are wore out.

There is a great tutorial on replacing rack bushings, but the photos were lost during the forum software upgrade (I presume), so I am trying to make mental pictures of how this was done.

Here's another thread on how this is done at the Chrysler 300 forum...

The above link refers to a different car, obviously, but the procedure looks similar. Wonder how the wires are removed after tightening down the bushing bolts? Looks the bushings would press against the wires somewhere along the way making them difficult to remove.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Followup...

The weather is cooling off around here, and I could not get a clear mental picture on how to do this without photographs, so I hired a mechanic to install them. He told me he stored them in the freezer so they would shrink before installation. He also said that he DID NOT have to loosen the inner tie rod ends. All he had to do was to remove the wipers, cowling, wiper box, and air intake tubes to gain access to the rack bolts. Once he loosened the bolts, there was ample clearance to remove and insert the new bushings. The passenger side of the rack did not need any parts.

I also let him him install hydraulic motor and transmission mounts. (I installed front sway bar end links myself days earlier)

The car steers and handles great! Next time (if there is a next time), I think I'll do the bushings myself.

One other thing, the mechanic said leaking power steering fluid could have deteriorated the old bushings. I replaced a leaking high pressure hose last year, so that could have softened the old bushings.

Labor was $218.28 including tax.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts