DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I previously owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee that came with stock Infinity speakers. I installed a Pioneer xm stereo in it and absolutely loved the power that came out of the whole set up. I now have a 1995 Dodge intrepid that had oxford fosgate? speakers in it. I installed the Pioneer xm stereo in the Intrepid and thought how great it would be to have Infinity speakers so I would have the same sound that I had in the Jeep. So, my husband and I went to the local "pull and save" junkyard and pulled some 6x9 Infinity Speakers out of an Intrepid, found 2 6" Infinity speakers from a grand cherokee. We installed the 6x9's in the rear, and replaced the smaller oxford speakers in the two front doors with the 6" Infinity (having to make a sort of speaker box, because they didn't fit in the door properly because of being larger. So now I have these speakers installed while the smaller original speakers are still in the dash, along with the pioneer stereo...My problem is...i just doesn't sound "full" to me at all, I can only get the distorted bass sound to go away on certain settings on my stereo...the setting for super bass sounds horrible and distorted, the powerful setting sounds horrible,,the only one that sounds even close to normal is the vocal setting and then it sounds very "tingy" like to much treble...no matter what I do, the whole sound just never seems to sound "together" if that makes any sense. Not to mention it just sounds "flat" to me.
I was thinking that if someone had some advice on what I could do to just get a great all around full sounding system. I'm not into the whole thumping bass thing but would atleast like it to have a nice full sound.
I really really like Infinity speakers, does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of speaker set up example; model #'s for Infinity speakers I could buy?
I don't know if the problem is coming from having too large of speakers in the doors or not...
I would like to just get speakers that "fit" everywhere and that will sound good as well as getting speakers for in the dash also...I am limited on money of course as usual, so I thought I would maybe look on ebay....can anyone help?

·
Registered
126 Posts
the audio maker ur thinking of is Rockford Fosgate. most infinity systems in cars, sound good be cause they are specificaly made, and engineered to sound good, if u want to get a good surround sound type music and one that fills ur whole car, u need good speakers not junkyard ones. New infinity's are good speakers, Infinity Kappa Perfect check out those speakers since u like infinity they aren't cheap tho, but ebay is definantly a good spot to choose. You might also want to look at getting a small 8" woofer, to help fill up the vehicle with sound. it will help connect lower pitches. plus woofers dont just only create low sound, tahts what SUB woofers are for. check out new infinity speakers cuz junkers arent going to be very impressive!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for the info ! on the Infinity's! Also, no my car doesn't have an amp. I appreciate the replys. thank you.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
If the Intrepid you bought had the "Oxford" system in it, then it has what is called the midgrade system, which should also include an OEM amplifier. However, if it had "Fosgate" speakers then they've been added since it was new and who knows what you have in there. The problem you have now, is if you bought OEM Infinity speakers they are 2ohm drivers, meaning too low of an impedence for your current set-up. Also, as someone else mentioned, for the OEM Infinity system to sound worth anything there is major processing going on inside the OEM amplifier. Without it, as especially after mixing and matching like you have you'll never end up with something that sounds worth crap.

Your best option at this point is really to find yourself some decent aftermarket speakers for the frond doors and rear. You should easilly be able to do it for $200 and it will sound 1000x better than what you've got now...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To save the risk of myself sounding like a total retard! I KNEW they were oxford's and not Rockford's. My husband kept calling them Oxford Fosgate's ..duh, and I believed him, until I started doing a little research, after my first post.
Ok, well Oxford's were what was in there before, but didn't have the amp. Guess someone took it out before purchased car.
Now I have two terrible sounding Infinity 6x9's from another Infinity, and two 6" Infinity's from a Jeep Grand Cherokee in the doors. I think I as actually happy with the crappy Oxford's then this...and you talk about someone driving down the road and being unhappy with the sound of the music!

I was wondering if the Infinity Reference's were any good. I have seen some 6x9's 2 ways and the 3 ways on Ebay, and also some Infinity Reference 4" and 5 1/4" 2 ways.
Ok, curious...if these are decent speakers,,,i know they are not the Kappa's but trying to save some money atleast temporarily...what would be a good set up with the references? They also have some 3 1/2" for the dash I've seen.
I'm about to go crazy trying to figure out what to get...I'd like to just figure out the set up and then start price checking, as I will need to save up some money.
Also, would getting a 3 way speaker opposed to a 2 way give me more of a "full sound"?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts