DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need Advice (GPS + DVD)?
Hi,

I like to add entertainment in to my Concorde LXi...I'm thinking of having Navigation system and DVD player to play videos.What do you suggest for me.Something not that expensive.Is there such DVD player with GPS together instead of buying RB1 with DVD player...any advices or if you may direct me to a website preferably in Canada.............

Thx

·
Registered
702 Posts
There is now a variety of all-in-one in dash units, most notably the Pioneer Avic-N2 and the Eclipse AVN2454. These have the screen, navi, dvd, cd, mp3, satellite (with NavTraffic real-time traffic updates on the Avic), and can be equipped for TV tuner and rear view camera. There are a bunch of other brands with similar features as well, but these are the best 2 in my opinion. Expect to pay for these though, as they will run you anywhere from $1800 to $2600.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[QUOTE='98-ESer]Laptops will do this quite easily if you can find an acceptable way to get one installed.[/QUOTE]

This is interesting,but laptop size is big ...how can this be done....?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
If you have a column shift, a police laptop mount works (but be prepared for the price tag :eek: $$$).

I saw the Pioneer N2 at Futureshop for $2800CDN +tax :p

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Do not buy the AVIC-N2. It has an internal gyro sensor that will not allow you to play DVDs on the screen while the car is moving. It is not currently defeatable.

Go with the N1 if you want Pioneer.

I got the Kenwood KVT-815DVD for my Audi TT. Its pretty nice. You can get the 815DVD and its Navigation 4100 unit for around the same price as the Pioneer (1700) and it has a 7" screen over the 6.5" Pioneer.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Laptops can be had quite small. Look at the tiny Sonys & Toshibas or the older Thinkpad X series.

There are plenty of 'gooseneck' laptop mounts.

'fer, example, an IBM Thinkpad X20 has a 10" screen, P-3/650 Mz cpu, up to 320 Mb ram, and will run windows 2000 or XP pretty well. Outlet shops price this thing @ less than $500. Add another $100 for a good mount. An XP license costs $100, GPS software costs $50, a 'wired' PCMCIA GPS module costs about $100.

If you want a faster CPU or larger screen, the price for the laptop goes up to about $650 for a 14" screen and a 900 Mz cpu.

Sure, the price we're talking about is about the same price as an RB1. But if you can get the mount right, a 10" (or 14") laptop screen is a whole lot nicer than the RB1.

·
Registered
298 Posts

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
There IS a way to mod the RB1 so it can play DVD's.......expensive though.

You COULD have both an RB1 AND a DVD player installed.......but you'd be only the second person to do it behind 300Micheal. Gonna be EXPENSIVE......you should go with a Pioneer N1 if you need both.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have an Alpine D900 DVD player with Navigation, XM, AM/FM, Rear and front camera hookups, 6 disk DVD changer in trunk. I also have the RB-1 with a 6 disk indash DVD player. Each has its advantages. My alpine has a great picture and the 852 navigation is excellent. It allowes several hookup options. The RB1 is nice because you can watch movies (on an extra screen/s) while the navigation is going, or listen to the radio with the navigation. It has the built in look but the nav system is not as good as the Alpine. (of course it doesn't cost as much either). It depends on if you like to do a lot of multi tasking at the same time. With 4 people in my car each has thier own option of what they want to watch or listen to. (now you know why I put buckets in the rear, 5 people doing thier own thing would have cost me even more. )

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
DjPiLL said:
Do not buy the AVIC-N2. It has an internal gyro sensor that will not allow you to play DVDs on the screen while the car is moving. It is not currently defeatable.

Go with the N1 if you want Pioneer.

I got the Kenwood KVT-815DVD for my Audi TT. Its pretty nice. You can get the 815DVD and its Navigation 4100 unit for around the same price as the Pioneer (1700) and it has a 7" screen over the 6.5" Pioneer.
Take a look at this!:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2134369

1 - 14 of 14 Posts