DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've checked lots of places, and the the Walker and AP Emissons OEM-style 1st Gen mufflers don't seem to be available anymore, though they are still listed in their online catalogs. Carquest and Autozone used to have rebranded Walkers, and even Amazon used to have them; but no more. (Yes, I should have stored one away with my Rockauto closeout NOS parts hoard). I've patched some small holes (no, not the weep holes) and repainted it (again) with VHT Flame Proof, but it may not last much longer since these big mufflers make a lot of condensation inside (and drip out the weep holes, as perplexed people posted here before). As you know, these mufflers have an odd, big, long shape like this:
Product Font Auto part Water Metal

Has anyone replaced theirs somehow with a universal muffler and fittings (keeping the pipe from the cat and the tail pipe the same)? It looks like there is not enough space for that - the muffler would have to be tiny with two 90 degree fittings added at inlet and outlet. Maybe another option might be to get a small universal muffler and mount it in the left rear where the resonator is for cars with the 3.5L engine. Then just use pieces of straignt pipe and bends to get to the pipe after the cat. Shorten the existing tailpipe and Install new hangers.

Obviously an exhaust shop could get a universal muffler, then re-route/weld the pipes as needed for maybe a couple hundred dollars. But since I'm poor and cheap, I was planning on just reusing the straight pipe back from the cat and the tail pipe. (I painted those a couple years ago with VHT Flame Proof, and they are still in fine shape). Also just planning to use Walker or Dynomax band clamps and sealer, at least to get it fit up. would like to keep it quiet, so putting in a "vroom, vroom" short tube type from Jegs or Summit isn't an option (would be silly with a 3.3L anyway). What's your advice?

·
Dain bramaged
7,329 Posts
My intrepids muffler is long gone. We cut the factory muffler out, bent a pipe to make the S turn and just put a "standard" muffler farther down the tailpipe.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My intrepids muffler is long gone. We cut the factory muffler out, bent a pipe to make the S turn and just put a "standard" muffler farther down the tailpipe.
Thanks for that info, so I know it is possible to fit a standard type back there where the resonator sat originally on the 3.5L. I just need to get under the car for the hundredth time and do some measurements, then see if I can find the dimensions on the generic Walker mufflers or AP Exhaust online. If anyone remembers a specific brand/model they put back there themselves, please post.

The only ones they stock on the shelves that you can look at in the local auto parts stores are the "performance" ones (i.e. loud). You have to order others by vehicle or part number, and of course their computer just comes up "no stock" for any 1st Gen LH car.

I'm still good for a while with the small patches (I'm in a dry climate, and the car still has only about 60K miles), but unless another NOS one shows up again on Rockauto or ebay soon, I'll go the S-turn to generic muffler route. Or bite the bullet and go to the local exhaust shop for a quote. I have no idea, maybe around $250? if anyone here knows form recent exhaust work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts