DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I haven't read this forum in quite some time, I remember reading useful advice here before, and therefore have decided to request the advice of the forum members regarding the purchase of a new (used) Dodge Intrepid. Unfortunately the reason I need to purchase this new Intrepid is the loss of my previous Intrepid, a '95 with the 3.3L engine and 205,000 miles. Last weekend in the rain the car hydroplaned, spun into the median and struck a tree in the rear. The tree penetrated two feet deep into the trunk, almost to the left rear wheelwell, completely pulverizing the rear end. In the collision the front bumper also detached and numerous other damage was caused to the car. Fortunately I was completely unhurt in the accident; in fact, I can't recall any whiplash or other affect in the cabin. Amazingly enough, the car still runs and the cabin was completely undamaged. The trunk even opened with the key, although I'm sure it will never close again. A testament to Mopar engineering, although I'm a little concerned why the airbags didn't detonate. However, the damage to the car far exceeds the value (estimated at over $5000 by the body shop), thus sending my tired car to that great scrapyard in the sky. My only regret is having the transmission rebuilt two months ago, hoping to get another year or two of life out of her. Oh well.

Therefore, it is time to purchase a replacement vehicle. Although it was not my original intention to limit my search to only Intrepids, the two most likely candidates I have found are both Intrepids, one first-gen and one second-gen. I would like the advice of the members of this forum on which car I should choose. Details on the two vehicles are listed below:

Car 1:
1997 Dodge Intrepid "Sport"
VIN: 2B3HD46F0VH748147
ODO: 61,436
Ask Price: $4995
3.5L V6
Autostick Transmission
16" Alloy Wheels, Mastercraft (non-OEM) tires
Color: Red (ext) / Gray (int)
Notes:
Aside from Autostick, essentially the same as my original '94 Intrepid (lost in a deer strike). Will require midgrade gas for first-gen 3.5L engine. Carfax shows an accident on the vehicle history report, but does not report severity. Some signs of wear, including a surface rust spot. Dealer seems eager to sell this car.

Car 2:
2000 Dodge Intrepid R/T
VIN: 2B3HD76V8YH435585
ODO: 57,695
Ask Price: $7495
3.5L HO V6
Autostick Transmission
17" wheels, tire unconfirmed
Color: Black / Black
Notes:
I am uncertain how comparable the 2nd-gen Intrepid is to the first-gen car. Rearward visibility, trunk angle concerns. Newer car on lot, dealer in less of a hurry to see it sold.

I may close on this deal as soon as Thursday, so your prompt replies will be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
CP1XBX said:
Car 2:
2000 Dodge Intrepid R/T
VIN: 2B3HD76V8YH435585
ODO: 57,695
Ask Price: $7495
3.5 HO V6
Autostick Transmission
17" wheels, tire unconfirmed
Color: Black / Black
Notes:
I am uncertain how comparable the 2nd-gen Intrepid is to the first-gen car. Rearward visibility, trunk angle concerns. Newer car on lot, dealer in less of a hurry to see it sold.

I may close on this deal as soon as Thursday, so your prompt replies will be appreciated.
It even comes with 3.5 HO's :D

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I don't think there's much to think about here dude........it's not even close, you know which one you want!

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
after having both a first and a second gen, i can tell you there are few differences

second gen has a slightly larger blind spot, nothing you cant overcome

pedal location is different in the 2 cars

much better gas mileage in the second gen

R/T has a smoother ride IMHO

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
A 2000 trep with less mileage than a 97 trep (even though both are good mileage) for only $2500 more. Plus add to the mix the 97 had some damage to it from an accident but you don't know how bad... Really not that much of a choice...R/T!!!:frenzy:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Get the 97.

PFFT no. Get the r/t... you'll be incredibly pleased with the way a 2nd gen feels.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
No ifs ands or buts about it, get the R/T. Visability??? You can't actually see the corners on the first gen, you just accustomed yourself to it. The 2nd gen certainly is different, but you will get accustomed to it rather quickly.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've owned a '96 since '98 and just bought an '03. Visibility? How about "vision-ability"? The 1st gen has terrible headlights and very little if anything can be done about them; 2nd gen has great ones. 1st gen is known for very expensive A/C problems, much more than 2nd gen AFAIK. And the 1st gen has been out of production for nine years now; the 2nd gen was produced til a couple years ago, it looks much more current, and the resale value will be tremendously higher. No question in my mind, get the 2nd gen.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I'll 2nd that headlight thing, the difference is huge. First time I used the high beams on my '03, I thought I was driving a train. Other differences include, gas filler on drivers side and washer nozzles are mounted in the hood. The arm mounted ones on my '94 had nasty tendency to freeze unless I used the higher priced and harder to find washer fluid. 2nd gen transmissions seem to be more durable. I don't know if all 2nd gens have pass through rear seats but mine does. Also no plug wires with coil on plug ignition. Some parts for 1st gens are no longer avaliable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to all for the advice. I wasn't necessarily expecting the unanimous opinion! I decided to get the R/T, needless to say. I managed to get the dealer down to $6995 for the final price of the car. I'll be picking it up tomorrow (barring something strange). Thanks again for everyone's comments.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.