DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, wifes car (2.7L 2000) is in the shop getting the seals changed on her car. While the tech had it opened up I went over and looked at it (looks very good by the way for 100,00+ miles) and asked about the water pump seal...I don't want to go through having to fork out a **** ton of cash to get that done later on down the road, even thogh the tech said it appears to be fine. He quoted around $49.00 but installation would be free since he is at that point anyway. Plus the water outlet thingy that sits right in from of the upper plenum is leaking really bad, I have the part and that too is no charge. Is that an aqurate quote for the H2O pump? Or...do you think I would be fine with leaving original in there as it seems to be fine? We did not budget for these extra things. Oh, spark plugs as well...ORIGINAL PLUGS!!!!!!! Yeah yeah, my fault for not getting them done sooner. I am leaning towards doing it...seems stupid not to. Give me a warm fuzzy guys. Please.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
If you have 100k miles on the water pump, I would change the water pump. I just had mine changed at 93k miles, but I did that now because I had the timing belt changed (so I did a bunch of related work which saved labor costs).

I spend about $50 (give or take a few) on a new water pump (which included the gasket :) ).

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
ok ask yourself " 50 bucks now,, or 700 later?"
I think the answer is clear
doc

·
Registered
843 Posts
silver&gold said:
Feeling better about the idea now. Gonna call NAPA in the am...get a 10% military discount, buy new plugs etc...
Is that discount at every store or do you just have a Patriotic location? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xrental said:
Is that discount at every store or do you just have a Patriotic location? :rolleyes:
Patriotic location.

All in all, my wifes car will be good to go after this. With everything we have done to it, I should have bought a 3.2 for it. But we have changed All four O2 sensors, alternator, battery, almost all seals on the engine, water pump, that little valve assembly with the nipple on it for the cooling system, spark plugs, pcv valve (I think thats what it called) ...I think thats all. Timing chain looked great, the other 2 chains under there looked good, **sigh**
the list goes on.............Can't wait until its over. Then I can worry about mine.

·
Registered
982 Posts
DrDodge said:
ok ask yourself " 50 bucks now,, or 700 later?"
I think the answer is clear
doc
I agree. $50 now is cheap insurance to avoid the major problems that can come if it fails while cruising down the highway.. I would definately replace it now.
just my 2.7cents worth!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts