DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
you SHOULD. you have more rotating mass that you have to bring to a stop.

these escalades etc. with 20" chrome rims that weigh in excess of 70 pounds with tires are just stupid.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Ahhh...but bigger doesn't always equal "more weight".

It all depends on how much more weight you are adding. I run the stock 17" R/T rims in the winter with winter rubber. In the non-winter months I run 18" Enkei rims with summer rubber. I actually stop better with the 18" rims, but I believe most of that is due to the rubber I'm using. However, going by lifting them, the 18" Enkei rims are either lighter, or about the same weight, as the 17" R/T rims.

But in general, if you are adding more weight, especially rotating weight, you will need bigger brakes.

If you don't have anything planned that will add a dramatic amount of weight, I'd say getting some good rubber and maybe a more aggressive brake pad will be all you need.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I’d definitely check the weight on the rims you’re looking at before buying them. If you get heavy rims not only would it be a good idea to upgrade your breaks, but the increase of unsprung weight and decreased sidewall can adversely affect the ride quality and handling dynamics.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
In my first intrepid I had some Drilled and Slotted brakes with brand new brake pads and It worked amazingly. There was a dramatic difference in my stopping distance. I actually had to change the way I braked so I wouldn't be too far away from the stop-line lol.

Josiah

1 - 5 of 5 Posts