DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am searching for my detailed manual on my Eagle.. however, until I find it, I need some input.. please...

I drove my car yesterday and for the first time, the temperature hand went to HOT and stayed there. Was not sitting in traffic, etc. I took it home and tried letting it sit and then restarting later... again, temp indicator went to HOT. This morning I removed the thermostat to see if maybe that was bad and if so, without a thermostat, the engine temp should have stayed cool. Again, it went to HOT. I am thinking maybe water pump malfunction ...not porperly cooling the engine. Any other ideas? How much is a water pump and how difficult is it to change based on the location of the water pump? (which I still have to figure out). Thanks.. Jenny.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Well, The bad news is with 3.5, they have head gasket issues when they get really hot.

Now.

IF it will go to hot regardless, I would suggest to see if the water pump works One way to test, is when it is warmed up, turn the heater on, and if the air is hot, and i mean hot not warm, then its still movin water. And which in that case, you may get away with a temp sensor.

But. Water Pump requires the front of engine to be taken apart, (timing cover, crank pulley.) It is also recommended that you have the timing belt changed to along with the tensionor. This job isnt cheap for havening a shop do it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! We tore it down ourselves! We replaced the water pump for less than $50 and we put the same timing chain on .. The only thing is that it was in time when we replaced it but evidently when we tightened the tensioner the timing belt musta slipped about a 1/16 or 1/2 a notch.. cause now.. she runs great on the top end but idle is a little rough and power is a little off on take off. We are going to try to tear it down again on Monday and reset the timing chain AGAIN. However.. it does not get hot anymore!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Whenever the pump or tensioner is replaced, the belt needs to be replaced as well. Failure of the pump or tensioner can cause excessive wearing of the belt.

I speak from experience..... someone replaced the water pump on my car while it was under warranty but not the belt.... 10K after I got it, the belt slipped on the pump pulley and I overheated.

Timing belts need to be changed every 100K even if the pump is fine.... if it snaps, you are stranded. On the 2nd gen (98 and up), if it snaps not only are you stranded but you will have a few bent valves!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts