DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tranny in my '98 Corde' isn't shifting gears and is real sluggish! I ran a diagnostic and got a 500 and 700 code... WTF? Has anyone had this problem? What should I do now.... :handonhip

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
unkut2003 said:
The tranny in my '98 Corde' isn't shifting gears and is real sluggish! I ran a diagnostic and got a 500 and 700 code... WTF? Has anyone had this problem? What should I do now.... :handonhip
The 2g manual says a 500 code is:
No Vehicle Speed Sensor Signal /No vehicle speed sensor signal detected during road load conditions.

700 code is:
Check Transmission diagnostic trouble codes / This SBEC III or JTEC DTC indicates that the EATX has an active fault and has requested illuminated the MIL via a BUS message. The specific fault must be acquired from the EATX.

I think the EATX is referring to the transmission. It looks like the tranny senses a problem and has asked the PCM to trip the check engine light. Like LHSdriver says, unless there is some way to check the codes you will need to take the car to a service department to check the tranny codes.

Both of these codes should be tripping the check engine light. Could it be as simple as a bad speed sensor for the speedo ?

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
unkut2003 said:
My speedometer dosen't work now either!!!!
When the transmission output sensor "dies" your speedometer will not work at all. The OEM part number for the sensor is Mopar 4800879.
P.S.
The p0700 code that you received basically means that it's time to change out the sensor. But like Randy suggested above, if your going to change out one, might as well do the other.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Sounds 100% like a sensor to me..........my input sensor died at 15000 miles :p

Reactions: crombie

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Avenger said:
Sounds 100% like a sensor to me..........my input sensor died at 15000 miles :p
My input croaked at the 30k mark.
P.S.
Hey Rob: What brand of low beam bulbs are those in your sig pic?

Reactions: Avenger

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
HEHE, 8000K HID's from HIDynamic (group buy in the buy/sell/trade section), got them working tonight ;)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well come to find out it was the sensors. I went to Autozone last night bout' 11 p.m. and grabbed both of em. Then when I put the input sensor in and went to torque it the damn thing broke off in the tranny!!! This kept me up and under the car till 5 a.m. with a small pair of vice grips, a rod, hammer, and flat head screwdriver! It was a hard and long night!!! So once I got it out I put the old input back in (since the new was broke now) and had no trouble changing the output. When I took it for a test drive it felt good, shifted, and the speedo worked! However it seems a little sluggish, not quite what it used to be if ya' know what I'm sayin'...

·
Premium Member
16,743 Posts
unkut2003 said:
Well come to find out it was the sensors. I went to Autozone last night bout' 11 p.m. and grabbed both of em. Then when I put the input sensor in and went to torque it the damn thing broke off in the tranny!!!...
I guess you learned you can't "torque" plastic like you can steel! lol!

The sensors have an o-ring that seals them up good without torque. You just snug them up (I guess you know that now!!) :)

Glad you got it working right!

I'm curious - when you said you torqued it, do you mean with a torque wrench? If so, what value did you use? Were you able to get a straight shot so you didn't put a side force on it? The FSM has a vlue of something like 120 in-lbs. You sure you didn't use ft-lbs?

·
Registered
175 Posts
unkut2003 said:
When I took it for a test drive it felt good, shifted, and the speedo worked! However it seems a little sluggish, not quite what it used to be if ya' know what I'm sayin'...
I would recomend still changing the input one. Don;t forget the PCM stores the codes and reacts based on drive cycles- it may take some time for the PCM and the ATEX to clear the codes which may have forced the car into a form of the "limp mode" or may be simply handicapping it (the pcm responding to the codes stored and slowly undoing changes made to the operation ad corrected data comes in)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts