DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so after getting my car back from the tire place. they busted a neon. driving to autozone so they can replace it. engine makes clicking noises as i turn it off. ac is not on take the keys out u hear like click click click..click...click...........click open the hood to find out the oil is everywhere. take the dip stick out looks like oil exploded. and NO THE OIL WAS NOT OVER FILLED when oil change was performed. so after looking around i got oil all over everything on the right side of the engine bay. and the spark plug there is covered all over with oil. well heres some pictures let me know whats going on.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,704 Posts
That sucks about the neon. Are they paying for it? As far as your engine goes, it looks like your water neck has blown out. Thats coolant, as far as I can tell, not oil. It looks like more than just the bleeder screw is leaking, so youll have to replace the whole water neck. Im not sure of the cost, its not too much, like $50, but dont quote me on that, and you can get it only from chrysler.

On second thought, looking closer at the pics, looks like it is oil on the exhaust manifold there but everything else is coolant. Maybe they spilled some oil when they were changing it, if not it could be a valve cover leak.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so thats coolent on the water neck ok, and the oil it hasnt been changed lately its not a spill. it came out of the dip stick area like a over flow, could it do that because of the heat

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,704 Posts
Its hard to tell from the pics where it might be coming from. It wouldnt come out due to the heat. With it on top of the exhaust, my guess would be valve covers, or the front timing cover. Try to follow the oil to the highest point on the engine. That should give you a better idea.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
is that a carbon fiber thermostat housing I see?

·
Registered
76 Posts
From waht I can see in your pictures, your engine compartment is too clean to be an oil spill. (Oil will attrack and accumulate anything that get blown thru the engine compartment), But it is hard to tell with those pictures.... I agree with 32Intrepid, almost all or all of what you see is more than likely coolant. Plus your water neck housing bleed valve appears to have quite a lot of corrosion on it ( sure sign of a leak).

Question though.. When you engine gets up to operating temp, do you get a very sweet smell coming from you engine compartment? If so, that is more than likely coolant on your manifold. And Ethylene Glycol (the main ingredient in most anti-freezes) has a somewhat oily consistancy, especially when the water is boiled off, which would explain the oil spots on the manifold.

If not then let us know whaty ou find on your engine.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
i think i know what that cliking is.sounds like when metal is cooling offf it makes that ticking sound. damn iwas just there need help let me know

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trav nice rims,

its oil i know that for sure, the water value thing is done imma get a new one tommorow but i still need to know whats going on with the oil explosion, i get no funny smells, i took it in a while back and they said my thing that holds the dipstick was cracked all the way at the bottom but thats got no effect being that this is way up high

1 - 9 of 9 Posts