DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 intrepid is making a clunking noise when I turn sharp. I thought it was going to be either the hub or the CV joints. So I bought a rebuilt axel and hub, jacked up the car and found that the strut is leaking. I did notice that if there were bumps in the road where turning, the noise was worse.

Anyway, anyone know if bad struts can make a clunking sound while turning sharp, oh and also a faint clunking while driving. Fluid is definately leaking from the strut and the bottom of the boot is torn, so it has to be changed.

I read up on it, and it doesn't sound like it's too tough to change if you change it as a unit. I don't have a spring compression tool and have never used one, so changing it as a unit sounds like an attractive option.

How urgent is the need to replace it?

Can I buy a rebuilt with the spring in place?

Any help would really be appreciated.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If the strut is leaking fluid then it needs to be replaced. I have seen the complete strut/spring/strut mount assemblies from Monroe (and probably others make them as well) and it looks like a good deal - especially if you don't have a spring compressor. As for front end noises, there are rubber isolator pads on the top and bottom of the spring assembly which wear out over time and cause the springs to make small banging sounds on sharp turns. If you buy the complete assemblies you get new rubber isolator pads too. The other thing that will make front end banging noise is the sway bar links and sway bar bushings. If you are replacing the struts then you may as well do the links and bushings too. As for how urgent is it - it could eventually lead to a handling issue and further front end parts wear depending on how much fluid has leaked from the strut.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like good advice, I'll look for those. By the way, I should have mentioned that this car only has 45K miles on it. I bought it with 35K and immediately had to have the transmission rebuilt. This was a government car and fortunately, the Government paid for the rebuild.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New Struts solved the problem

Wanted to write back to let you know that the Struts were causing the noise in my Intrepids front end. I never found the stuts with the springs installed so I rented a spring compressor. Compressing the springs was the toughest part of the job. I kept getting a fluid leak where the bad strut had been. I figured the new strut was leaking, so I pulled off the wheel to check it out. I found that the foam which was reused, was saturated with oil. I was hoping it was residual. Figured I would give it a few more days. It kept dripping for about 5 days, but a little less each day and today it's not dripping at all. So, problem solved. Thanks for the reply and hopefully this will help someone else with a front end noise problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts