DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I need help with my Concorde. It is 7 years old, but only has 39k miles. I am getting constant shaking on the highway once i get above 50 mph. Sometimes it's barely noticeable, other times quite violent. My hand is visibly moving back and forth on the steering wheel. The front end was aligned and tires were rotated and balanced two months ago. I plan on keeping this car a while, and can't stand when the steering wheel shakes. Here are the questions:

1. Should I replace the original Michelins in hope that there may be flat spots on the 7 year old tires?
2. I have new Moog inner tie rod bushing, but have yet to install. Probably will do this weekend. Should these help?
3. Could it be the wheel bearings, even though it doesn't do it at lower speeds?
4. Should I go ahead and replace lower ball joint/control arm and upper tie rod ends?

I can turn a wrench with the best of them, but don't want to replace stuff that might not need it. I plan on keeping this vehicle for a while.

Thanks for helping with the trouble shooting.
-RB

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Yes just start with tie rod bushings inspect the inner and outer rod ends for wear damage from worn bushings the damage to the rod ends can be quite severe sometimes an cause a hell of allot of shaking and wobbling.

·
Registered
27 Posts
when was the last time you checked your rotors?? Slightly warped rotors can cause this as well.....severely warped rotors will do this at all speeds....but only slightly wapred rotors will need the higher speeds you speak of.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the rotors turned and new front pads put on less than 3 months ago. The car was shaking before and after the rotors were cut. I have only experienced shaking from warped rotors when braking, never when just driving straight. Thanks for the ideas guys.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Or the halfshaft and/or wheel bearings are bad. See if there's any damage to the halfshaft boots (broken boot or leaking grease is a tell-tale sign). Also make sure your lug nuts are torqued on correctly.

One time I was driving home from chicago and the car started shaking real bad all of a sudden.... turns out the lug nuts were loosened for some reason (so loose I can move it by hand). Tighted everything and it's all good... So don't overlook the obvious

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.